KB Tutorial Questions

If you're looking to gain a bit more performance out of your NGINX web server,  you can do this with the help of gzip compression.

NGINX is an outstanding, open source web server. However, as with any server software, there are always ways to seek out as much performance as possible. One such performance route admins will take is that of the gzip compression available with NGINX.

With the help of compression, the server will be sending smaller objects to clients, thereby the pages will be faster to load. One of the big mistakes with compression is betting the whole farm and compressing every object available for each page.

Unfortunately, with this option comes a bit of a trade off. Compressing every object can take significant CPU resources from your server hardware. That, in turn, will cause a slowdown in NGINX, thus rendering the configuration null. 

Simply do this instead.

Instead of compressing every object, configure NGINX to only compress large files and avoid the temptation to compress smaller files (such as images, executables, etc.).

To Accomplish this follow below:

add this below under the additional directive

gzip on;
gzip_vary on;
gzip_min_length 10240;
gzip_proxied expired no-cache no-store private auth;
gzip_types text/plain text/css text/xml text/javascript application/x-javascript application/xml;
gzip_disable "MSIE [1-6]\.";

Once you've added the options, click Apply and then OK

Here's an explanation for the configuration, line by line:

• gzip on; - enables gzip compression
  • gzip_vary on: - tells proxies to cache both gzipped and regular versions of a resource
  • gzip_min_length 1024; - informs NGINX to not compress anything smaller than the defined size
  • gzip_proxied - compress data even for clients that are connecting via proxies (here we're enabling compression if: a response header includes the "expired", "no-cache", "no-store", "private", and "Authorization" parameters)
  • gzip_types - enables the types of files that can be compressed
  • gzip_disable "MSIE [1-6]\."; - disable compression for Internet Explorer versions 1-6

April 28, 2020 6:47 am

Thank you so much for that Hannah. That was what I was worried about. I do remember having issues way back with ver early phpfox versions so wondered if was still an issue.

Is there any other recomendation we could go with or is it best to stick to the way it is? Could it be implemented for new posts or is there a wysiwyg editor that could be. Its more for new posts rather than comments thi king about it.

Otherwise will have to stick to the default for now but is a feature that I think many sites could do with. Customization of content and profiles like was used on bebo and myspace are really what I want and there used to be some really good "mods" but I have not found any since the pre v3 days. Maybe Im just searching the store wrong :(

March 13, 2020 10:21 am

I agree with Hannah, the safe way would require them to change their password manually.  How I would do it is assuming you are using the same domain name but now a different website.  You could find the phrase for the text on the sign-in page (like the word sign in) and add text to that phrase so they understand the why and what they have to do :)

So, for the import you want to fill in the rest of the info for the table phpfox_user so first I would make a user and create a really long password...at least 16 characters with some caps and numbers and a special character.  Then I would go to the phpfox_user table and copy the password and password_salt field data for that user and use that for all the users until the set up one on their own.  You want a difficult initial password because if someone figures it out they will have all of them.  But because each user that request a new password does not get to see what the current password is...this may work.  Good luck.

February 15, 2020 2:27 pm

Like Paris said, change the size of the image you are uploading since both the logo and the cover image is hardcoded to fit which users need to know for cover images.  The logo area is small so it looks crappy if you have a website logo bigger than 6 letters like phpfox.  Check this thread out and hopefully it can help.

https://community.phpfox.com/forum/thread/58001/change-the-logo-size/

November 26, 2019 1:15 pm

@spirog

The function that I showed here and the one that you showed on github are two different functions (unless I misunderstood something).

My problem has been solved. It was enough to create the appropriate function in the PF.Basemoduleuserincludeserviceprocess.class.php file that sets the appropriate privacy settings when registering the user account.

@kerstar

can you share your implementation and what you added to get this function to work? does it show in admincp now with a dropdown to select and set as default for new users ? 

November 6, 2019 7:12 am

No sir, but thank you for replying. You see, just like the admin can browse users depending on user groups suscription plans, i also need my users from certain "users groups" browse another users by suscription plans filter.

Dear Alexander,

Thanks for your explanation, I can understand well your need, have you solved this?

Kind Regards,

YouNetCo

May 22, 2019 8:59 am

I think the way YouNetCo explained it is legal since you are only using one database and one install for your main site (besides the development site).  The database is holding only one set of data which is easier to control and upgrade.  The difference is that the subdomain is just a pointer (like call forwarding for a telephone).  Then the code in the main site will check the IP address of the user or even better than that use the name of the subdomain you're coming from, and that will determine whether the user sees everything in the specific language for that domain.  It is a genius concept, and I give thumbs up for YouNetco thinking outside the box.

March 25, 2019 5:24 am

Hi everyone,

I'm new to phpFox and have been going through the documentation. I too have been following the tutorial for writing my first App and haven't been able to determine the cause of a 500 error I've been receiving when I go to: domain/index.php/to-do-list/ . I have gone through the instructions, checked and rechecked my code, reviewed this thread a couple times, as well as watching the video but just haven't been able to make any progress. Any suggestions/help is appreciated. Thanks.

March 4, 2019 4:01 am

Firstly, I want to thank you for always standing by us. Please accept my apology if we make you feel disappointed. Secondly, I can confirm for sure that your suggestions and issue reports are very important to us. As you may know, our plan in this year 2018 is to focus on the development of our native mobile app and improve performance, scalability of Script on top of maintenance versions to make Script more stable.

Anyway, it is necessary to note that all suggestions or issues should be submitted on Github. This way will help you receive updates on your items more quickly and conveniently.

I hope you speed development of phpFox after releasing the mobile application.

Back then I used to post issues and suggestions directly in github.

October 3, 2018 6:18 am