Install - Upgrade

Just a caution. Why they advise against modifying stuff in the code...
If you have edits, but they improve or modify the files you're also modifying, just throwing the old ones back in their place could break what the developers are working on as well. It's risky!

It's a huge PITA, but you might want to look at what you're overwriting, before going and overwriting with your modified files.

Thankfully, comparing them should be as simple as running a diff command on your system and then carefully reviewing the differences between the files. If there's more than you're expecting, you might have to carefully re-apply your custom edits.
Just be super careful. I can see why they advise against it and void your support if you're doing edits to core files!

October 28, 2022 8:59 pm

Hi Naresh,

We are a bit confused about your purpose. However, if there are no changes to the database structures of your phpFox site, you can simply download the phpFox package in Client Area and overwrite source files on your server to have fresh code.

October 12, 2022 4:53 am

So you not creating a new site to use for development for bug checks or testing but instead trying to create a clone of your main site?  That can be more difficult and it has been a while since I did one.  What I do remember is using the information below to change the location of the new folder as well as creating a new named clone database and adding that location/New Name/password/username.

So you also have to go into the new folder and change the server.sett.php file and change the folder location/name and the new database information.

Look under the paragraph called "To Change Your Website Files to Use the New Domain" for more information.

https://docs.phpfox.com/display/AD/Changing+Your+Domain+Name

Then I downloaded a zip file of all the files in the new folder and in dreamweaver I would do a find and see if there is any hard coded area that would have mydomain.com.  There was area a long time ago where the install actually put domain url in the code.  I don't think they do that anymore but you should check anyways and if you find a place then add your folder name at the end of the url in the code.  Also, I would search the entire database as well for your domain name url and again change url to include your folder at the end.

Again, it has been awhile since I wanted to clone my site.  Now I just to a empty development site which is the same as the link above but you put a new install zip file in the new folder and run the install phpfox documentation without searching all the files or database for your url of your domain.

July 21, 2022 2:48 am

Yes.  But for others who read this in the future, you don't have to change it in the license panel if you are using the subdomain called development.yourdomain.com as Phpfox let you have either one in your panel and it will still work.

June 22, 2022 4:23 pm

Liviu, if I am remembering correctly (being old and all) I thought if your get locked out you could clear the cache files manually on your server, and then you would be able to log in as admin.  If that occurs...

March 21, 2022 12:56 am
DanShea
Posted By

Thnaks for the info. I'll just build a simple one with android studio and use WebView. That should do everything I am looking for it to do.

Dan

January 14, 2022 6:54 pm

I got it done once I cleared my head a bit. Running a social network site and being an owner operator truck driver at the same time is not the easiest tasks to undertake at the same time.

August 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Hi All,

I can confirm with you that the upgradation of website and mobile doesn't relate with each other because they have the different version as well as specific improvements for the new release.

About the routine to upgrade the phpfox, we highly recommend all the users upgrade their site when  the new version has been released due to in the new one, it will have new improvements as well as fix the issues in the old one.

You can follow our blog: https://www.phpfox.com/blog/ to stay updated about phpFox new version.

Should you have any questions, please feel free to let us know.

Regards,

Vinny.

July 28, 2021 12:57 pm