Does the alpha support PostgreSQL? What about MySQLi?

I have both installed & would like to begin developing w/ clean PostgreSQL. But, the install says only MySQL is available... Thx
Be the first person to like this.
Yeah only mysql is ready for now, but its an alpha so please bare with us Tongue
Thx Purefan, that helps me plan but here's 1 more question:

How stable is the library class itself in this alpha/preview version? Do you expect architecture type changes in beta 1/2 for the core library? Major code changes (new/changed interfaces)? Or only cosmetic changes?

I need to decide whether to build a customized SNS on top of 1.6 or 2.0 for a foreign market. Although I have code already developed on top of 1.6, I am willing to start fresh w/ 2.0 and live with beta/RC versions 2.0 for a short while because the core library seemed really cleaned up & more scalable.

BTW, THANK YOU for the postgreSQL support. It's a must for a scalable site in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally posted by: Purefan :: phpFox
Yeah only mysql is ready for now, but its an alpha so please bare with us Tongue
Quote:
Originally posted by: gbdc

BTW, THANK YOU for the postgreSQL support. It's a must for a scalable site in my opinion.

I'm agree with you... I work with both MySQL and PostgreSQL. MySQL has a great performance and interesting features. Also, phpMyAdmin is the easier web-based tool for a database.

But PostgreSQL has its assets. The security is better than MySQL. Correctly configured can be as fast as MySQL (the constraint: configure correctly PostgreSQL is a bit hard) and has support for lot of things. In fact, it is the most attached to the SQL Standard.

Incorporate PostgreSQL into phpFoX is an excellent movement!
Raymond Benc
Quote:
How stable is the library class itself in this alpha/preview version? Do you expect architecture type changes in beta 1/2 for the core library? Major code changes (new/changed interfaces)? Or only cosmetic changes?

The libs so far have been working great and we don't see any reason in changing the current file structure and functionality of the core libs. So basically we are at a point to simply complete all the remaining modules before our first beta release, which is next month.
Quote:
Thx Purefan, that helps me plan but here's 1 more question:

I need to decide whether to build a customized SNS on top of 1.6 or 2.0 for a foreign market. Although I have code already developed on top of 1.6, I am willing to start fresh w/ 2.0 and live with beta/RC versions 2.0 for a short while because the core library seemed really cleaned up & more scalable.

Anytime Smile

The engine itself should have some changes, just yesterday I was working on the input class. However, as we approach more and more the beta release less changes should happen in terms of the engine, the engine by now should be about 95% the way its going to be, of course we're still finding bugs and fixing them but the general architecture used should prevail.

If you want my advise, Id say start working on top of version 2, mainly because if you go with 1.6 you will be stuck with 1.6 for a good while, and even when version 2 takes probably the same time in becoming fully stable and 'bug free' you will have in the end a more robust solution. Version 2 is not only a SNS, its a CMS with advanced SNS features, so most likely, if you do business with phpfox (in terms of creating web sites) you will want to use version 2 for your other endevours.

Plus, its like planning the sales of a car dealership in the early 1900s, should you get the Oldsmobile Curved Dash or wait a little longer and get the Ford's T-Model? wink
Thanks guys for feedback. I made the same call & will start on 2.0.

I was hoping I'd just need to paint the car, but I don't mind putting together my own tires, seats, windows what not as long as engine & suspension look awesome.smile

Quote:
Originally posted by: Purefan :: phpFox

Plus, its like planning the sales of a car dealership in the early 1900s, should you get the Oldsmobile Curved Dash or wait a little longer and get the Ford's T-Model? wink
HeHeHE :D Cool! yeap its pretty cool version 2, we will be updating our blog at the end of the week just so you guys can measure how we're doing hehe :o)