Mindsplitter
Any Idea how long till a beta version will be available thisis what I have been waiting for.

I can't wait to get it and test it the look and feel of phpFoX2 is exactly what I have been waiting for.
Be the first person to like this.
CLUBUGLY
Quote:
Originally posted by: nx.vc
Another question: Will the downloadable alpha version in our menu be updated (Rev. Number) before the upcoming beta releases?

That too is in the blog he he he, muh ha ha ha ha!

I think hopefully when V2 is out that they will be using 2.0.0 to imply final and example below to better understand versioning:

2.0.0 Final
2.0.1 Minor Update ie bug fixes
2.1.0 Major Update ie new features and bug release
2.1.1 Minor Update ie bug fixes
..........etc

3.0.0 New Version

Typically major updates are twice a year with bug releases in between. Keeping a schedule like this keeps people in tune to when expecting bug fixes and new features. Patches are usually released on the fly usually because of an exploit so version numbers generally don't change with the release of a patch for a exploit but are added to the official download area to the full product of course because of nature and emergency as well official patch on how to secure the product in form of instructions.

Bugs and and such are reserved for next version release and not to the download area as to not cause confusion for people. Bugs are reported and confirmed for next release only. Not distributed before then. This makes upgrades more manageable.
hehe sorry ClubUgly, but I did read the whole blog and the answer to my question above isn't in there, at least not exactly:

I did download the alpha when it was released, when I now download the alpha again, does it got another revision number? I just ask this because I see in the bug tracker of phpfox 2.0 people posting alpha bugs with a diffrent rev number
a revision number means a new feature was added, or a bug was fixed or a change was made in the script. But we're not updating the alpha release just yet, thats why we set release dates, when we reach the first beta it will have all the revisions available until then Smile
Thank you Purefan, that was the answer to my question.. then I guess everyone got to wait 3 months now. omg
Quote:
Originally posted by: ClubUgly

2.0.1 Minor Update ie bug fixes
2.1.0 Major Update ie new features and bug release
2.1.1 Minor Update ie bug fixes.

You got that right with the IE bugs wink lol!

Quote:
Originally posted by: Mindsplitter

My main concern is going to be the pictures portion of the site. will there be built in slide shows with different formats to choose from options like that should I post that in feature request?

We are improving every current section by adding new features, so feel free to suggest as many and we'll take the ones with the most votes first Smile

Quote:
Thank you Purefan, that was the answer to my question.. then I guess everyone got to wait 3 months now. omg

Yeah pretty much, well 50 days from today smile
Great Smile

Do you also already know, when there will be an upgrade script / routine from a previous phpfox version? From the beta 1 to beta 2 in example or from 1.6 to 2.0 beta or RC?
We will release an update script for 1.6 to version 2 RC, mainly because the RC is pretty much the stable release and no more big changes should happen
And how about an upgrade script from the 2.0 beta to RC ? shade
We plan to develop our site using phpfox2, so as soon as an upgradeable release is made available, we will start.
CLUBUGLY
Quote:
Great Smile

Do you also already know, when there will be an upgrade script / routine from a previous phpfox version? From the beta 1 to beta 2 in example or from 1.6 to 2.0 beta or RC?

Quote:
And how about an upgrade script from the 2.0 beta to RC ? shade
Your answer to that is on the first page of this thread two pages back at the bottom of the page. I quoted Natio.
Im not really sure what would there be to update... I personally dont like the idea of updating an alpha to an RC because you're not supposed to use it in a live environment, so you should just install afresh... if you mean to keep your modifications you should reimplement them because alpha versions are not stable, and neither are RCs...
Upgrading from alpha is really not needed.. but I thought on upgrade scripts like this:

phpfox 1.6 ==> phpfox 2.0 first beta

then upgrading from phpfox 2.0 first beta to the next.

I trust you guys doing already good work with the first beta, so I would use the beta for our live site already when there would be an upgrade script from 1.6 to 2.0 beta. I think it would help you to find more bugs and increase the quality of the final version, but I would need then something like a garanty of an upgrade script from a beta to the next beta.

It's on you guys, what you think?
hmm.. last I heard the upgrade script is going to be 1.6 -> RC1 I know the waiting is longer but betas are still too flawish, at least the RC is more stable and I know you would understand the cost of operating a beta site, but most people dont and I can already see the flood of tickets saying that their site doesnt work after they upgraded :S ... Just look at how many people are really following this forum? say 40 actively participating? when we have thousands of clietns...
CLUBUGLY
You know I posted this already on the very first page of this thread. The 3rd beta will be upgradable to Beta4 meaning that you can upgrade 1.6 to Beta4 or Beta3 to Beta4 to RC1... Not any versions before this. As PureFan said, it would be not good to upgrade a live production site to a beta or RC versions.

Quote:
Originally posted by: Natio :: 10.23.2008 | Author: | Posted in [URL="http://blog.phpfox.com/category/development/v2/"]phpFox v2 | 613 views ]Release Date
The release date for v2 is still estimated for the first quarter of 2009. Once we can get a confirmed month we will update the community. The first release will be a Beta and it will be demoed live. The 2nd Beta release will allow clients the opportunity to download and install the product but not upgrade their current phpFox communities. Beta 3 will introduce the upgrade script. We plan that we will release at least 4 Betas before we move on to RC (Release Candidate). 4 RC releases are also planed with v2, however its still very early to judge how many Beta and RC releases there will be. This information is based on how things worked out with past releases.

Quote:
Raymond Benc Reply:
February 5th, 2009 at 4:59 am
phpFox2 will include an upgrade script, which will allow the upgrade from any past versions of phpFox including legacy versions (before 1.6.x). The upgrade script will be automated so clients will not have to do much other then upload the new script and then run the upgrade script. Will will include documentation for the entire process.
Mindsplitter
Quote:
Originally posted by: ClubUgly
You know I posted this already on the very first page of this thread. The 3rd beta will be upgradable to Beta4 meaning that you can upgrade 1.6 to Beta4 or Beta3 to Beta4 to RC1... Not any versions before this. As PureFan said, it would be not good to upgrade a live production site to a beta or RC versions.

look it's great that you are keeping up with every post on this form but sometimes people just have to ask and sofar i have not seen Purefan or Nato or any other phpFoX staff complain about people asking question so back off a little and let members communicate with the staff after all I think everyone is alittle exicted about the new platform.

let them eat cake err ask question till the actual staff says NO MORE QUESTIONS

just my 4 cents worth oh and if the Staff did not think it was worth answering I don't think they would