What are the chances that if I start developing on an alpha version of phpfox v2 that I can upgrade to new releases as they come out? Or is it still a bit too early to be thinking upgrades are possible? Will I have to completely reinstall and start over similar to how Build releases have worked in the past?

v2 looks great so far - looks clean and seems to perform well.
Be the first person to like this.
CLUBUGLY
Quote:
Originally posted by: wheelstv
What are the chances that if I start developing on an alpha version of phpfox v2 that I can upgrade to new releases as they come out? Or is it still a bit too early to be thinking upgrades are possible? Will I have to completely reinstall and start over similar to how Build releases have worked in the past?

v2 looks great so far - looks clean and seems to perform well.
There will be no upgrade paths provided until they reach RC1 - There is hints that the last beta may be upgradable to RC1, but as it stands right now it's already been announced no upgrade paths until RC1.
I asked myself already the same question...

How about working on the design already? (Styles)

How about already start with translating?

It's okay to do this already, isnt it?
No, as the engine is still liable to change, this is always the problem with public alphas people want to use them straight away. There is still alot of modules to be developed and langauge files are certain to change.

There is 2 months now till the beta arrives and alot of changes will be made by then
You're right Dazzy, ...

... but still waiting 2 months is aaaaaaaaaaaaaarg :D
im still waiting about another 3-4 months like probably a lot of people will do just to see how everything span out but I like the direction everything is taking
well as soon as rc1 hits i cant wait to see some of the mod anouncments i my self will be bizzy at work getting everything ready and as soon as i feel its stable enough for my group ill just redirect my domain name. ^^
Yeah we strongly advise against using the alpha versions for anything other than testing, like Dazzy mentioned we are still changing the libraries and adding modules and even most of the text used is hard coded (dont worry, we have a script that will help us translate everything quickly to the database so it wont take for ever smile ), the database is being changed every week and even the styles used, for example there is a bug with the friends list where if there is no list and you add one the ajax wont show it, most likely we need to change the style there and if you wrote a style sheet for that module then tough luck... it may break or throw your work to waste...

So yeah, please wait at least until beta comes out, by beta we should have all the features available and from then we want to just focus on bug fixing and stability which should deliver smaller changes since a whole process has already taken place. Of course waiting until RCs are out is a safer and perhaps wiser choice
Quote:
Originally posted by: Purefan :: phpFox
Yeah we strongly advise against using the alpha versions for anything other than testing, like Dazzy mentioned we are still changing the libraries and adding modules and even most of the text used is hard coded (dont worry, we have a script that will help us translate everything quickly to the database so it wont take for ever smile ), the database is being changed every week and even the styles used, for example there is a bug with the friends list where if there is no list and you add one the ajax wont show it, most likely we need to change the style there and if you wrote a style sheet for that module then tough luck... it may break or throw your work to waste...

So yeah, please wait at least until beta comes out, by beta we should have all the features available and from then we want to just focus on bug fixing and stability which should deliver smaller changes since a whole process has already taken place. Of course waiting until RCs are out is a safer and perhaps wiser choice

boy I really hate to do this here as it's off-topic, but hey purefan, check your mail check your posts and your PMS people have been trying to buy your mod and are getting no response from you....
I personally would wait until RC1 before I start developing any mods and/or themes.
RC means the script is feature-locked and only bugfixes are written so then I can be sure that none of my work will be lost due to API changes or template engine changes.
Quote:
Originally posted by: DR_GIGGULS
I personally would wait until RC1 before I start developing any mods and/or themes.
RC means the script is feature-locked and only bugfixes are written so then I can be sure that none of my work will be lost due to API changes or template engine changes.

Thats wise Smile and every modder should be using the alpha version just to get very acquainted with how the script works, learn it very well so you can work easier later on, read the guidelines and Im sure you'll pick it up Smile its actually much much easier than 1.6