Will there be an option so that instead of Full name, it will show username, most my members wont like thier full name shown
Be the first person to like this.
What I meant was that its just adding a field to the signup routine and that is going to be a feature, so creating a plugin for this would mean "click-click-click-text-click-click-click-click", didnt think someone would charge for this :p
CLUBUGLY
Quote:
Originally posted by: Purefan :: phpFox
What I meant was that its just adding a field to the signup routine and that is going to be a feature, so creating a plugin for this would mean "click-click-click-text-click-click-click-click", didnt think someone would charge for this :p
He he he, you haven't visited the Paid mod section lately have you? tongue

People are trying to charge for anything in there. Simple stuff that should be free has price tags on it. And items that should be low in cost has ridiculous high tags on them.
All I'm concerned with is, if we can just disable it all together and just have usernames displayed (no display name, no full name) etc.
think so, with all the fuzz I think we will add this setting anyway Smile
Any special time this frame this mod will be created? I think it should be free also.
we're not talking about modifications Urban, this is for version 2 and the release dates can be found here.
I bought phpfox 2.0 only because the ID + Real Name system bat

... but I dislike a bit in phpfox 2.0 alpha still forcing everyone to have a username/nickname ... Specially in the registration progress... Many people don't have a nickname in their life, only a real name. And when they don't have a nickname, they may not register in phpfox... omg
Quote:
Originally posted by: Purefan :: phpFox
think so, with all the fuzz I think we will add this setting anyway Smile

Any news on this?
I agree with all others here that members really apreciate their privacy, so a username instead of full names will be a real value.
Quote:
Originally posted by: finally
Any news on this?
I agree with all others here that members really apreciate their privacy, so a username instead of full names will be a real value.

Hmm.. what about to fill in your anonymous nickname into the real name field? lightbulb
Quote:
Originally posted by: nx.vc
Hmm.. what about to fill in your anonymous nickname into the real name field? lightbulb

No, as you see this "feature" is discussed for such a long time already, plus it should be a standard feature as well.
Specially for adult related communities where members absolutely need privacy.

Although your thoughts should work, it is not the way it should be.
Maybe 98% should give a fake name, but its more easy to use a username for members.

As Purefan already mentioned, its only just a short change of code to create this and should be integrated in v2.
Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutly for a maximum of privacy for every user. ;-)

I just see that it is possible to put also a nickname into the real name field, so nobody will be forced to use his real name.

I just said I really love the real name system in phpfox 2.0 .. because when everyone follows this and enter their real names, it will be easy to find old friends you haven't see since 15 years again.. that's what happens in other communities I am in and that's the reason why I always come back to these communities to find more of my old friends... many of these friends I wouldn't find anymore, because they look diffrent now, but I remember their real names and where they come from, so I call the real name system in phpfox 2.0 a real "social" step forward.
Quote:
Originally posted by: nx.vc
Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutly for a maximum of privacy for every user. ;-)

I just see that it is possible to put also a nickname into the real name field, so nobody will be forced to use his real name.

I just said I really love the real name system in phpfox 2.0 .. because when everyone follows this and enter their real names, it will be easy to find old friends you haven't see since 15 years again.. that's what happens in other communities I am in and that's the reason why I always come back to these communities to find more of my old friends... many of these friends I wouldn't find anymore, because they look diffrent now, but I remember their real names and where they come from, so I call the real name system in phpfox 2.0 a real "social" step forward.

I completely understand your thoughts, however, finding old friends can be easily done by Facebook, Myspace and that kind of big communities, so i think that people these websites prefer to find old friends because they have more chances to find people there.

Probably there is a midway between our opinions, an option in the adminpanel so an admin can choose between usernames or real names, or just a "patch" whats overwrites the real names settings to usernames???
angel
Ermm..

Okay I understood.

My intention when I bought phpfox 2.0 was to provide everyone a better network than myspace or facebook is. Everyone here in our region dislike myspace (except my stupid sister who really think that it's the real Elvis Presly who accepted her friend request).

Our focus is really to provide Europe a nice web 2.0 community with phpfox 2.0 to create a friend network, so everyone with an internet connection here don't need to join these boring american websites. We are not rassists, but we say "You guys can eat your turkey on Thanksgiving yourself" .. biggrin

There are so many nice ideas in the internet left, but myspace or facebook doesn't bring up these ideas because these sites are more "commercial" websites than "social" websites. We also want to provide social components to our users which costs a lot of money, the american websites mostly just provides the ideas that get a lot of money for them.

And the privacy on facebook and myspace is worse, so many of us don't want to join it. It's not a place for friends, because once you were in a real social friends community, you know that there are better technologies out there which advances your life and you see how weak and boring myspace and facebook are.

I want to bring phpfox closer to a higher level than facebook actually is, it's not that difficult with some good developers, and my hope is really that the developers here listen a bit to me because I'm sure, together with everyones suggestion here, we can push phpfox to be better than facebook or other famous websites are actually.

I really wonder sometimes why some of the phpfox customers here supports more facebook than their own community (i.e. facebook connect). Can't you guys imagine to have a better website? cocktail Cheers
if I may, facebook doesnt have themes wink hehe

Its also happened that, when natio was working on the very first versions of phpfox he added a totally new feature that resembled one in myspace but the clients back then complained because it wasnt like myspace, I cant really remember what was it (it was quite a long time ago) but it really was better than myspace, so in the end he had to take it out... and then myspace changed and did it natio's way... he had to add it back
hehe funny story Purefan Smile
I can imagine this... it's a bit like the same problem I had first to find a team and developers for our web 2.0 community project. When I came up with the idea to create a new network, most of them said "There is already facebook, there's no free place anymore for another network"... then again, after creating just a very simple registration form and usermanagement, I wanted to implement the friends system and other features, and they said "facebook already have this" ... "I don't think that it's worth to invest in something that already exists" ...
You can't believe how sick I was to hear such sentences when trying to find a team. The only people who really just did it and followed my ideas were the russians, so I joined their team to provide people a "better" alternative to facebook and all people joined our new network like there would be nothing else and they keep joining today, now 17 million users and it became the most successful website of Russia and Ukraine and the countries surround.
Of course, the media called us a "facebook clone", but we were already better. We came up with social features that facebook never had and we were advertisement free.
I quit working for this network of serveral reason, but most important reason for me was, that - althought it was planned and already 98% done - the russian management never did something for the European people, so, most of my friends outside Russia weren't able to join this network.
I'm someone who doesn't care if a community has only 10.000 users or 10.000.000 users, I simply want to provide an international network for my friends and their friends, where everyone may have fun and where they can easily connect with each other.
... but now I had the same problem again with finding developers who just believe in creating a new web 2.0 script, ... again, everyone said "there is already facebook" .. lightning

I also own several vbulletin licences and it was fortuity that I saw Ziki posting a mod called "phpfox integration" .. I just took a look what the hell "phpfox" should be, and somehow it did sound interesting, so I searched for phpfox on the internet and I found the website. Wow a lot great features I thought, then I watched the 1.6 demo on the website and it was just boring because only "example" users with "example" pictures were in there.
Then I saw on the phpfox main page a link to the spanish/portuguese customer site www.conectados.com and I joined this community to see phpfox 1.6 "live and in action" .. I liked it a lot more than the official demo.
I still wasn't satisfied, because I couldn't take a look into the admin panel and into the source code, I wasn't sure if this script is modifiable enough for our own needs, so I did contact the support with my questions. Mostly, Anna did answer me and she always said "yes it's possible" to every question, but she gave me always links to non public parts to the forum and mods, etc.. and I couldn't proove or take a deeper look, so I (sorry) did download a nulled script of phpfox 1.6 to play a bit with it locally on my server. I loved it, but then I was sure we couldn't use it for our community because of some issues, one of them was the "real name / nickname" issue.. We have a lot members with non latin names and it is not personally to force someone to recall his name in latin letters, very bad when you want to be "social" because when you want to find an old classmate from Egypt or Moscow again, you'll not find him under a latin name... but then I've read the phpfox company blog where all the plans of phpfox 2.0 were written in and this gave me the hope that phpfox is on the right way to match many of the needed social parts and shortly after, the public alpha demo was released. I took a look into it and it made me sure that the upcoming script will be best thing out there to build a nice community with... a plattform for fun and for my friends. Although I know that it would be better to wait for the final version because the licence upgrade time is not long enough, I bought already a phpfox licence to support the actual development progress of phpfox 2.0 and I think it doesn't hurt that much to just renew the licence again to be allowed to use phpfox 2.0 final.

I see a lot potential in phpfox 2.0 and I hope to increase this potential with my ideas in the Feature Requests area here... =)

Okay sorry, long story,.. back to topic ^^

Regarding username vs full name, I really understand that some phpfox customers want to keep a nickname only because of anonymous or privacy reasons of their users.

In this case, I would simply rename the phrase "real name" to "nickname" or "display name" ... Then it wouldn't confuse the members.

Wouldn't this be a fast and easy solution? cat