OK Guys, The phpfox 1.x.x forums were always a bit of a turn off, but one thing i liked was the simplicity of its look, it doesn't look to much like phpbb or vbulletin but unfortunately it lacks basic forum features.

Some v2 Forum Suggestions:

- Adding Non-Staff Moderators (To move topics, delete, etc)

- Quick Reply

- Ability to Close a forum

- Multi Quote Feature

- Forum Subscription
(When you post a thread you're automatically subscribed (but can unsub.) and when you post in the forum you have an option (like a box you can tick off) to subscribe if it gets replies Then you will get a notification like "New Thread Replies" when it gets replies.)

If you add forum sigs, let admins be able to turn that option on or off, since my site doesn't use sigs, or user headlines in forums.

Anyone else got suggestions?
Be the first person to like this.
nice suggest
Please post all your suggestions in the Feature Request section so we can take them into account.

Thank you for your feedback
Advanced Search (ability to search for posts by a user, similar to VB)
Admin ability to create a forum, and set it as private, and assign members to be able to view the private forum.

Add this to the feature requests section, which is what it is there for.
http://forums.phpfox.com/project.php?do=issuelist&projectid=1&issuetypeid=feature

Thanks,
Craig
CLUBUGLY
How about just eliminating the forums module and provide bridge support for the popular forum software's that already exist ie. IPB, PHPBB, VB and etc. That way we don't have to sit here and beg for standard forum features? Also, this should speed up the development of V2 imo.
Dude
Quote:
Originally posted by: ClubUgly
How about just eliminating the forums module and provide bridge support for the popular forum software's that already exist ie. IPB, PHPBB, VB and etc. That way we don't have to sit here and beg for standard forum features? Also, this should speed up the development of V2 imo.

I think since Vbulletin is making a competitive product was the reason to stop the officially integration, i don't remember exactly.
Well IPB and VB are pay solutions, no? And i've worked with phpBB and It's nice and all but being from a coder standpoint, each script has its own way of working, it takes months to learn a script fluently, and integrations are prone to bugs. So i rather just learn to code in one script for one site.
CLUBUGLY
Quote:
Originally posted by: dude
I think since Vbulletin is making a competitive product was the reason to stop the officially integration, i don't remember exactly.
I actually think that IPB and VB are far beyond a competitive product as phpfox main focus is not the forums and thus why IPB and vb are far superior as that's their main focus/niche. With the phpfox covering so many areas, I don't think they will ever be able to contend on a forum x forum comparison.

Quote:
Originally posted by: webmasterx
Well IPB and VB are pay solutions, no? And i've worked with phpBB and It's nice and all but being from a coder standpoint, each script has its own way of working, it takes months to learn a script fluently, and integrations are prone to bugs. So i rather just learn to code in one script for one site.
Well, don't get me wrong but even the included forum is prone to bugs and takes learning just to enhance it. Everyone has a module that they wish to be full blown but let's face facts here and that is the developers don't have the time nor can please everyone.

I think as an alternative, do what they can for a base forum and include integration for 3rd party popular forums starting with IPB, VB and etc. If they completely model the new forum after VB I would have to say that I would be so disappointed that I would not recommend this script. So create there own forum with it's own identity or provide us with good integrations for other platforms is my suggestion.

I seriously hate VB with a passion just because of my experience at this forum. It's not user friendly and the navigation is just horrible. I don't know what the latest VB version is but I have visited free forum scripts with better user friendly features than this site has. Just my 2 cents.

<!-------------------------General Poll Start----------------------------->

Today's Quiz:

What forum software do these multi billion dollar industry leaders use?

NASA
SCI-FI Channel
BlueCross BlueShield
Sony
AMD
Yahoo
Sharp
Nvidia
EMI

ANSWER: Invision Power Board

Note: I can't think of any Multi-Million / Billion dollar companies that use vBulletin nor could I find any using google search.

<!-------------------------End General Poll ----------------------------->
I've always been a fan of IPB myself, wasn't that free some while ago? I think they turned pay a few years ago or no?

& I agree, Like i said i liked fox's forums because they weren't a copy of other forums but they lacked severely in features.
CLUBUGLY
Quote:
Originally posted by: webmasterx
I've always been a fan of IPB myself, wasn't that free some while ago? I think they turned pay a few years ago or no?

& I agree, Like i said i liked fox's forums because they weren't a copy of other forums but they lacked severely in features.
Yeah a long time ago was free. InvisionFree is still free though. They also offer hosting and with it you get a free board for as long as you have hosting with them. Other than that you can get a board for:

IPB $150

VB $180

One thing that amazes me is why anyone would buy VB after visiting their sales landing page? Totally lacking presentation for what's supposed to be a large company. Even free scripts have better presentation.

I just hope that if they do invest in the Fox forums this round that it has it's own identity and not modeled after vb and that if they do want to add some powerful tools that they take a look at other forums and evaluate some of the opportunities. I just feel that because they have been using vb for so long that they may not consider that.