Hey guys,

Just went to look over v2, and it looks amazing, but only for those who are just gonna start out with v2, what are any of you with 1.x.x going to do? I mean the design is way different, the structure, is different, so how will you all adapt? Will you upgrade at all?
Be the first person to like this.
Everybody Thank this man right now! angel

Quote:
Originally posted by: natio :: phpFox
This is a definite possibility. We are planning on creating an import script so future clients can import their users data from other social networking or forum scripts. If we can find out how many are using the module and will be upgrading to v2 this will help us decide to create an import for it or not.

Note, that this is our plan and we can't start the development of this import script until the product goes stable or at least till it reaches RC as this will be the final builds before stable so we won't be changing much with the core product.

In any case I don't want to leave anyone behind when v2 comes out so we will do our best to look into creating any import script for myfoxvideo.
Yes, I will upgrade. Eventually....

As the product continues through the beta development, I'll test the upgrade routine on my development subdomain as I did when 1.6 came out. Once it is out of beta, I'll continue doing upgrade tests in development until I know that everything works properly.
Once I feel its working and some of my members test things as well, I'll then upgrade my live site.

So... Test your sites in development before you upgrade your live sites, it will save you from a ton of complaints and headaches in the long run.
That sounds like a nice, safe plan.
Quote:
Originally posted by: poetryvote
is there a way to make it so people can choose to switch there accounts over to version 2.0 or keep it the same I know I would really be running two sites in a sense but is it possible?

Also is there a way to transfer all the accounts over if you switch to this new platform?

hmmm depending on the new Db stucture you could install the sites to the same DB and then make an option to chose V1 or V2 and that will direct to where it pulls the temp files from think it may be posible and a good idea for a mod
SpeakLife
Forgive me if I missed apart of how this will look in the end but after seeing the trial site it looks more like facebook. Is the template gonna look alot like the 1.6.20 version? Are we going to be able to customize our profiles like myspace and have 3rd part applications added like myspace and facebook has? I'm all for eye candy and it has to look appealing for me to want to upgrade or get new users to join.

Can I still use the vibrant template when I upgrade? Is all my member's content going to be placed in blocks on the new v2.0 like it is for v1.6.20?
I hope someone can assure us that they would be able to do this because as soon as its available I am upgrading or want to offer people the option of both.

Quote:
Originally posted by: racingirlz
hmmm depending on the new Db stucture you could install the sites to the same DB and then make an option to chose V1 or V2 and that will direct to where it pulls the temp files from think it may be posible and a good idea for a mod
Quote:
Originally posted by: cobra12512
It turns out i can't install it on my dedicated server since i have a linux server and Ms MySQL is for Microsoft Servers and i also dontn have Oracle installed, acourding to my host.. is there anything i can do to install this on my server ?

whoa, are we saying here that if we are on a linux server we cant install this v2?
When installing, it gives you an option on what type of db you want to use. You can pick SQL, Oracle, or a few others, so as long as you have 1 of them, your all set.
Quote:
Originally posted by: eleatham
whoa, are we saying here that if we are on a linux server we cant install this v2?

I installed it on my linux (CentOS) server with no problems.
Quote:
Originally posted by: Craigster
I installed it on my linux (CentOS) server with no problems.

wheeew, thanks
Quote:
wheeew, thanks

Allot of assumptions and misinformation is already being posted about v2.
It's an alpha product at the moment, and released mostly to be a developer preview, just be sure to read Natio's announcement on the product to get the full scoop on it. cool
yea i did read the company release blog, just bugged when i saw someone here say it dont work on linux. in any case im looking on the demo site at users profiles and see it basically has a profile pic, a bit of info, comments and just a full line of recent activity.

http://www.phpfox.com/alpha/dbox2009/

I really hope the profiles stay kinda myspace like as my members have already expressed they dont like the facebook profile look. So im hoping people can express their individuality on profiles. I do like the clean look tho.
Quote:
yea i did read the company release blog, just bugged when i saw someone here say it dont work on linux. in any case im looking on the demo site at users profiles and see it basically has a profile pic, a bit of info, comments and just a full line of recent activity.

http://www.phpfox.com/alpha/dbox2009/

I really hope the profiles stay kinda myspace like as my members have already expressed they dont like the facebook profile look. So im hoping people can express their individuality on profiles. I do like the clean look tho.

I am on a shared linux server and had absolutely no problem uploading V2.
I doubt I will upgrade if thats the way it will look like. I will probably stick to 1.6 or switch over to Social Engine
At least speaking for myself I develop on linux, and I know natio does on both linux and winblows--I mean!! windows... redface oops... so in short, you can rest assure it works on linux, just need to be sure your server complies with the reqs (like having php installed lol! tongue )