Hello guys,

I have a question for phpfox pros.

how to create phpfox module component like for example "favorites" ?

I need same module dublicated.

What files need to edit what variables need to be added to phpfox files to get this done ?

Thanks in advance for all help.
Be the first person to like this.
this thread can give you some info about simple page creation.
http://forums.phpfox.com/showthread.php?t=18573&highlight=create+php+page
Be the first person to like this.
its just crazy trying to understand all the code.

maybe someone can help me understanding how polls module works ?

Someone knows how polls functions like poll listing works step by step. ?

santocki could you help us on this ?

or maybe any phpfox staff could help ?
Be the first person to like this.
Unfortunately you're probably not going to get answers to things like that. This is what many of us make a living doing for others so I would suggest taking a php and smarty template course or paying someone to create what you need. The questions you have are far too advanced for simple edits by someone like yourself with no knowledge of coding.

That's not suppose to be a rude or belittling response, it's the cold hard truth...phpfox is a very tough piece of software to understand.

The pirating of mod code or code that was donated to help others has been abused as well by being sold as others work. This doesn't help your situation at all either...don't expect veteran modders who are qualified to help you, to actually give assistance.

Good luck!
Be the first person to like this.
Codex, there is no shortcut. You gotta have knowledge with PHP procedural + OOP coding in order to understand phpfox code. For the poll section, I never looked into that either. And for the modders to explain it to you won't be possible because it will take days to explain everything (you still need php knowledge specially with PHP 4 OOP) and we really don't have time for anything else, except coding stuff... sorry.
Be the first person to like this.
Quote:
Originally posted by: wheelstv
..don't expect veteran modders who are qualified to help you, to actually give assistance.

Good luck!


Well, then veteran modders should not expect new people to buy mods from them, if they want to have an attitude like that. Good public relations is the cornerstone of good business.

The more people who feel that it is hopeless to manage their phpfox software, the fewer people will buy the product, the more people will sell back their licenses, and the fewer people will buy mods.

Everybody in the fox community has a vested interest in helping to educate new users so that they can become halfways competent in managing the software...and they will soon enough realize that it is better to pay a modder who knows what they are doing.

If Fox becomes even less popular, the owners and support will cut back on the amount of support even further, to save money.

All *real* professionals do "pro bono" work....they give *back* to the community by helping others for free.

Pro Bono does not mean *free* - it means "for the good of the community."

What happened to the Wiki that was supposedly being built?frown

What happened to the FAQ that was supposedly being built?
frown
Many people, such as Fern, Chodry and Dazzy have given fairly simple, easy to follow explanations of things.thumbs_up

Being able to understand how something works is not the same as having the knowledge to build it in the first place.

I understand how my car works, but damned if I would be able to build one.

So many other software apps have Youtube videos explaining how to do stuff on them....

Why can't this community do the same?

Scooty put together a pretty detailed Map of how to change your themes.
He did not seem to think he needed to make buck off of it.

If Modders feel they are too busy doing stuff to make money....and that prevents them from answering questions....well, eventually they will stop making so much money when the community dies.

To try to claim that we should not expect to be helped because some unscrupulous modder is selling others' work is hardly logical.

Yes, people probably should invest in a book or two...or an online course.
Why don't some of you make a recommendation or two, so that we do not get ripped off there also?

In any case, I have tried several times to *pay* somebody from this forum to Tutor me, with NO SUCCESS.

I cannot learn from *reading* textbooks, or printed stuff like webpages, unless it is broken down properly, and accompanied by visual aids...merely throwing links at someone is not always a solution.

People in this forum must be making a very good living, indeed - to be able to turn down a decent fee for teaching the stuff they do every day.
Be the first person to like this.
Quote:
Originally posted by: socialnetworker
Well, then veteran modders should not expect new people to buy mods from them, if they want to have an attitude like that. Good public relations is the cornerstone of good business.

The more people who feel that it is hopeless to manage their phpfox software, the fewer people will buy the product, the more people will sell back their licenses, and the fewer people will buy mods.

Everybody in the fox community has a vested interest in helping to educate new users so that they can become halfways competent in managing the software...and they will soon enough realize that it is better to pay a modder who knows what they are doing.

If Fox becomes even less popular, the owners and support will cut back on the amount of support even further, to save money.

All *real* professionals do "pro bono" work....they give *back* to the community by helping others for free.

Pro Bono does not mean *free* - it means "for the good of the community."

What happened to the Wiki that was supposedly being built?frown

What happened to the FAQ that was supposedly being built?
frown
Many people, such as Fern, Chodry and Dazzy have given fairly simple, easy to follow explanations of things.thumbs_up

Being able to understand how something works is not the same as having the knowledge to build it in the first place.

I understand how my car works, but damned if I would be able to build one.

So many other software apps have Youtube videos explaining how to do stuff on them....

Why can't this community do the same?

Scooty put together a pretty detailed Map of how to change your themes.
He did not seem to think he needed to make buck off of it.

If Modders feel they are too busy doing stuff to make money....and that prevents them from answering questions....well, eventually they will stop making so much money when the community dies.

To try to claim that we should not expect to be helped because some unscrupulous modder is selling others' work is hardly logical.

Yes, people probably should invest in a book or two...or an online course.
Why don't some of you make a recommendation or two, so that we do not get ripped off there also?

In any case, I have tried several times to *pay* somebody from this forum to Tutor me, with NO SUCCESS.

I cannot learn from *reading* textbooks, or printed stuff like webpages, unless it is broken down properly, and accompanied by visual aids...merely throwing links at someone is not always a solution.

People in this forum must be making a very good living, indeed - to be able to turn down a decent fee for teaching the stuff they do every day.


I could not have said it better myself even if I tried smile ... eloquently put SocialNetworker.

It's late so I won't make this any longer... but a lot can be learned about the apparent attitude of modders ( and notice I said apparent, since I am new here but I too have noticed this in the little amount of time I have been here ) from the following quote:

Quote:
Originally posted by: wheelstv
Unfortunately you're probably not going to get answers to things like that. This is what many of us make a living doing for others so I would suggest taking a php and smarty template course or paying someone to create what you need.
Be the first person to like this.
Wow...I cannot believe what I read from you guys...and to think that prospective clients can read that. If I was phpfox I'd admonish you for possibly losing business for them.
Centella...as a newbie to phpfox...You should simply not buy their mods or use any of their free ones. I certainly won't.
There are lots of nice folks in this forum willing to try to help you as best they can.
And welcome...
Be the first person to like this.
Quote:
Originally posted by: santocki
Codex, there is no shortcut. You gotta have knowledge with PHP procedural + OOP coding in order to understand phpfox code. For the poll section, I never looked into that either. And for the modders to explain it to you won't be possible because it will take days to explain everything (you still need php knowledge specially with PHP 4 OOP) and we really don't have time for anything else, except coding stuff... sorry.

i have basic knowledge about php am i think what its not very basic, when i used phpfox 1.0.9 i wrote mods for my self made bug fixes for bought mods. so if you can give any information about any mod it would be very helpfull for me. i dont need to explain everything i know how phpfox handle request thru $_GET. i almost copied poll module but going thru all thee OOP functions its crazy. so if you can help, please help. thanks in advance.

edited:
i sow all older posts on thi thread right now. and i got another question. isnt this forum for user-to-user support. not about making bussines and selling twinkie mods ? I don't talk about santoki, his mods are awesome and i will buy them one day, but a lot of mods on this place are peace of cupcake. i never sold any mods on this forum because i don't like to see when other sites has same features like mine because i do living from social network not from making mods for it.
Be the first person to like this.
Quote:
Originally posted by: codex
i have basic knowledge about php am i think what its not very basic, when i used phpfox 1.0.9 i wrote mods for my self made bug fixes for bought mods. so if you can give any information about any mod it would be very helpfull for me. i dont need to explain everything i know how phpfox handle request thru $_GET. i almost copied poll module but going thru all thee OOP functions its crazy. so if you can help, please help. thanks in advance.

edited:
i sow all older posts on thi thread right now. and i got another question. isnt this forum for user-to-user support. not about making bussiness and selling twinkie mods ? I don't talk about santoki, his mods are awesome and i will buy them one day, but a lot of mods on this place are peace of cupcake. i never sold any mods on this forum because i don't like to see when other sites has same features like mine because i do living from social network not from making mods for it.


If you had some experience with previous phpfox 1.09, then I don't think it's going to be hard for you to understand PHP 4 OOP (it's different from PHP 5 OOP), which is how phpfox is coded. Every company and programmer have different kind of coding style, but phpfox konsort style is no way near easy to be understood, even for experienced programmers because it's 100% OOP + Phpfox own style of coding, so there is a domino effect when you try to fix a part of the code, specially when trying to duplicate a section (forum, poll, blog).

I believe if you try to clone a section, there will be a lot debugging and fixing needed, because a lot of file names and variables need to be modified (I don't think anybody can explain this to you unless they have already done so with the mod you wanted) and although they might look the same, every mod works quite differently, so it is not true that just because a modder have hacked one part of the code will understand everything about that mod. If it was a simple fact of hacking the codes, I believe a lot of people will try to help you.

As you have noticed, phpfox 1.09 and phpfox 1.5 coding style are very different. Personally I don't like the current phpfox style of coding, because it makes hard for people to understand and make changes, they should have made it something like 50% procedural and 50% OOP, because most webmasters (phpfox clientes) are not php savvy, but most of them do have experience to follow and understand the PHP procedural codes and logics. In this case, I think it's not about making the code hard to be understood trying to show off your programming skills. For example two of the best selling books were "Rich Dad and Poor Dad", "Who Moved My Cheese?", the success of these books were because of their simplicity but it does (transmits message) exactly what it suppose to do.

And by the way, phpfox team often changes their own codes on each new builds for the same version, so sometimes it leaves you in the dark when something that worked doesn't work anymore and you don't have clues which part of the code has been modified.

If you plan to use phpfox, then I think the best way is to have some concept of Php 4 OOP. It's not that hard to understand if you have done some procedural code hacking. I don't think you even need to buy any books, because there are more information on the net. I have compiled some sites for your starting point:

Free Tutors
http://www.phpdeveloper.org/news/5719 (Excellent tutor introducing Php 4 OOP)
http://www.talkphp.com/tips-tricks/1023-tutorial-php-oop-beginners-guide.html
http://phpeveryday.com/
http://devzone.zend.com/node/view/id/627
http://w3schools.com/php/default.asp

Sites to Get Help and Answers
http://www.experts-exchange.com/ (paid site, but get responses usually in 40 minutes)
http://www.webmasterworld.com/php/ (a lot of information)

Excellent Video Tutors
http://movielibrary.lynda.com/html/modListing.asp?sid=99 (paid)
http://youtube.com/results?search_query=php+programming

The books that I've read and are good
http://www.amazon.com/PHP-Objects-Patterns-Practice-Second/dp/1590599098/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1205255352&sr=1-13
http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-PHP-Programming-Developers-Library/dp/0672325616/ref=sr_1_47?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1205255460&sr=1-47
http://www.amazon.com/PHP-MySQL-Development-Developers-Library/dp/0672329166/ref=pd_sim_b_title_4
Be the first person to like this.
santocki, you just great! thanks
Be the first person to like this.
'

Thank you very much, Santocki - for the recommended resources.thumbs_up

At least you are giving people a place to start.
Be the first person to like this.
Raymond Benc
Note sure if this link was given out but here is some info on how to create a new module with components: http://wiki.phpfox.com/guide/Konsort_1.6/Developers_Crash_Course

Support for "easy plug-in" installs is still not available with the core system, we provide a plug-in system however to truly built onto the system creating modules is the key. The current hooks our plug-in system provides is very minimal, however since our next version (2.0) will be written from the ground up we plan to spending a lot of time on creating a system so other developers can easily built onto it in the future thus giving clients an easier time to install these modules/plug-ins/hacks.
Be the first person to like this.
Quote:
Originally posted by: natio :: phpFoX
...we plan to spending a lot of time on creating a system so other developers can easily built onto it in the future thus giving clients an easier time to install these modules/plug-ins/hacks.


It is nice to know the future will be brighter, but what about *now*?
I think you could give more support to people who are trying to figure out how to optimize this software *now*...

Nobody seems to understand that the more *useful* this software appears to be, the more people will buy it and support the company.

I think it is ridiculous that I cannot get your support staff to tell me how to make the Language Selector Device appear on *all* pages of your software.

My Goodness...this is a *FEATURE* which you advertise (Multilanguage Capacity) and you will not even tell me how I can use the feature on any page of the site I choose....

This is Myopia in my opinion.

I should be allowed to ask how to turn *on* features, and also how to turn them *off* on any pages I want.
Be the first person to like this.
Quote:
Originally posted by: socialnetworker

I think it is ridiculous that I cannot get your support staff to tell me how to make the Language Selector Device appear on *all* pages of your software.

My Goodness...this is a *FEATURE* which you advertise (Multilanguage Capacity) and you will not even tell me how I can use the feature on any page of the site I choose....


I feel your pain,cry I think of all the tickets I put in, I got the answer to maybe one or two of them. And they were non-technical issues and more like account maintenance, I just finally said forget it and I will try and figure it out myself. I really think that Support is one of the weak areas for PHPFox and hopefully it will improve with time.

Anyhow, try that and see if this helps and does what you want it to do, I have not had a chance to test it, so I would try it on a development environment or non-critical site.

It's the code from _template.html minus the menu that is included within the form.

{if $bAllowLangPack && !$aCurrUser}
            <form method="post" action="{url link="public"}">
            <input type="hidden" name="return" value="{url link='current'}" />
            {language text="up.language"}:
            <select name="guest_language" style="width: 100px; vertical-align:middle;" onChange="submit();">
            {foreach from=$aLanguages item=aLang}
            {if $aLang.userselect}
            <option value="{$aLang.id}"{if $sGuestLang == $aLang.id} selected="selected"{/if}>{$aLang.title}</option>
            {/if}
            {/foreach}
            </select>
            </form>  
            {/if}


Hope that helps out and gets you going in the right direction.
Be the first person to like this.
Quote:
Originally posted by: Centella
It's the code from _template.html minus the menu that is included within the form.

{if $bAllowLangPack && !$aCurrUser}
            <form method="post" action="{url link="public"}">
            <input type="hidden" name="return" value="{url link='current'}" />
            {language text="up.language"}:
            <select name="guest_language" style="width: 100px; vertical-align:middle;" onChange="submit();">
            {foreach from=$aLanguages item=aLang}
            {if $aLang.userselect}
            <option value="{$aLang.id}"{if $sGuestLang == $aLang.id} selected="selected"{/if}>{$aLang.title}</option>
            {/if}
            {/foreach}
            </select>
            </form>  
            {/if}


Hope that helps out and gets you going in the right direction.


Sigh...no such luck....added it to the top of a page, and not a thing changed at all.redface
Be the first person to like this.