Store Community Support Documentation
I would like to form a small personal group of people who would like to work with me on fixing known bugs and integration problems. I can code well in PHP and really all I need is to learn the architecture of the site and I'll be alright. I just want some people who want to work with me as a group to take on some of these huge issues.

I'm tired of waiting when something critical needs to be attended to and I'm sure others would appreciate the help too. When our site is live we can't wait months for patches or fixes. We need them before they annoy our members. I realize the phpfox people are working on the next release but that doesn't do us any good right in the present.

There are boat loads of people working on new things but people seem to lose interest in the old bugs that no one fixed.

I am not a "I'm ok with it the way it is" type of person. I want it to work and I want it to work like it's supposed to.

I don't think 2.0 should even be an option when 1.0.9 is so full of bugs and problems. You know what? You know how I got my problems solved? They would just remove the feature that wasn't working and tell me I'll have to go on without it until a later version. Bull! My messenger isn't working, my site doesn't display the flag and user name when you hover over a user...they've just disabled so many features instead of fixing them and that DOESN'T make me happy.

So...is anyone with me?

Alan
Be the first person to like this.
I think that, first and foremost, the documentation for the script needs to be centralized.

The complete chaos associated with "hunt and peck" for answers and picking apart the architecture really reduces the value of a script.

BTW - Is phpfox based on SMARTY templates? It seems to be the case.

The documentation should be progressive and organized.

Tony
Documentation? What documentation? The only thing I've seen was the install doc and then a little blurb by some of the controls that are very vague and usually misspelled. I could imagine that an inexperienced admin would have a really hard time using the system or getting a handle on what things are doing. That's why I made the FAQ post to help noobs.
I know you are stressted, and i have heard it in many areas of the forum

THeres a patch to put the flags back on usernames, this was taken as phpfox were legally allowed to use the code, but now they have a license and have brought it back

Good luck - if you need with particular things just give me a shout
Unless a proper development process is followed, it's impossible to maintain a proper documentation. When you come up with 4-5 upgrades a year, it will be difficult to maintain documentation unless you have enough people working for you. But, PhpFox should understand that without documentation the script is like big headache for themselves. Since they don't have proper documentation, more and more members are raising tickets and their staff is busy in solving these repetitive errors.

Regarding version 2.0 and bugs in version 1.09, I feel it's moral and legal responsibility of a company who introduces and sells software to fix all the bugs. You cannot sell something and not fix them. There should also be a time limit, within which these bugs should be fixed. We all are running a live site and this affects our reputation and goodwill seriously. At the same time, the new development such as version 2.0 should go on simulteneously so that we are not stagnant. This can be possible only when you have different teams to develop new versions and to fix the bugs.
Well from what I've guessed from reading the forums. The software is like a year old and experiencing explosive growth and the phpFox org is trying to catchup but is understaffed. IMO v1.x is a huge learning experience and 2.x will be the "real" version. Just from the simple fact that they haven't optimized the SQL statements. I'm pretty happy with the system though. I'm hoping that they futher "loosen" the encryption so we can apply better modding ourselves.

All the fluff features are nice but the core issue is speed and optimization. What good is a site when it's running like a pig and forcing you to upgrade. I'm constantly giving up on MySpace when it lags :-/
Yes clenard...that is exactly what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to work on known bugs and make them go away. Like the biggest one that just absolutely kills me is the fact that my mass mail in the admin doesn't work. Being able to communicate with your users is very important...however sending blank messages to them is not productive. I want my mass email to work. I'd be happy to wait on a few other things but that is a must.

What I am saying is all of us can make mods right? So why can't we work together to fix some very big bugs? I grow tired of open support tickets. We take matters into our own hands for mods so I think we can do it for bugs.

Alan

Quote:
Originally posted by: clenard
Hey Alan,

I'm not sure what you mean about the Dev's working on 2.0 and not solving 1.0.9 Issues? Currently, they're getting things ready for 2.0 but they're getting patches created for 1.0.9 right now. Yes, there's alot of bugs and alot of known bugs that seem to take a little more time than some have hoped but overall things are getting done. The Dev's have been helping alot of customers on a one on one basis in getting issues resolved and that has stalled some issues, I'm sure.

If you're looking to get some Bug Fixes done you can create a new thread with Bugs and as a community we can try to fix them ourselves, if this is what you're looking to do?

I will be more than happy to help out with this.
Quote:
Originally posted by: johnny
Well from what I've guessed from reading the forums. The software is like a year old and experiencing explosive growth and the phpFox org is trying to catchup but is understaffed. IMO v1.x is a huge learning experience and 2.x will be the "real" version. Just from the simple fact that they haven't optimized the SQL statements. I'm pretty happy with the system though. I'm hoping that they futher "loosen" the encryption so we can apply better modding ourselves.

All the fluff features are nice but the core issue is speed and optimization. What good is a site when it's running like a pig and forcing you to upgrade. I'm constantly giving up on MySpace when it lags :-/

Yeah Johnny,

I agree, this is what I've been stressing to people for months about. This software was an idea that went from a few sales to a few hundred sales in a matter of a few months... the software is definately a "code and learn" product at this point and will be as good as ever with the new release. I believe with using a more flexible framework by using OOP - the software will be MUCH more efficient in the near future. I feel that updates will be MUCH better as well since there will be more updating code, less updating features. ;-)

Quote:
Yes clenard...that is exactly what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to work on known bugs and make them go away. Like the biggest one that just absolutely kills me is the fact that my mass mail in the admin doesn't work. Being able to communicate with your users is very important...however sending blank messages to them is not productive. I want my mass email to work. I'd be happy to wait on a few other things but that is a must.

What I am saying is all of us can make mods right? So why can't we work together to fix some very big bugs? I grow tired of open support tickets. We take matters into our own hands for mods so I think we can do it for bugs.

Alan

Hey Alan,

Yeah, I agree. The best way to do this would to be appoint two teams... each has their own "manager" and then one main guy to look over everything and submit them to the Dev team. I always find that type of structure very efficient. But, whatever we can do will definatly help out!

I'm definately all about fixing alot of problems as long as there's some good organizing and communication! Smile

I do suggest taking on 1 to 2 bugs at a time and testing patches/fixes on 2-3 test servers before submitting them though. I find that some patches that are released are hardly tested and cause too many other problems. thumbs_up
I will be fixing known bugs for my own site, and will be releasing them in the mod section. It is still considered a modification to 'enhance' the script, and really that is all you are doing is enhancing what is broken.
I certainly know my way around php, though I have not delved into this code as of yet (trying to get a look I want first). So I would like to help when I can (Pretty busy working for others still) and get things working great.

If this is something that we would like to do, perhaps documenting things as they are seen would be another great way to help the community here. This would be a great way for those that do not know php to perhaps help as well. As they learn to do things with the program, it could be documented. Perhaps a sticky thread that's all about document how to do things, with longer messages posted in there.

Or even a section called tutorials for more detailed instructions (sub section of How To maybe). What does everyone else think?

Ted
Well after seeing the same questions asked over and over by the noobs, I made my FAQ post. I've been a little negative today but to be honest, phpFox needs to assign someone to type out documentation and have it SPELL CHECKED.

The online kb is a joke. This shouldn't even be an issue for paying customers. This isn't open source where the community contributes. We paid a good bit of cash for this product and shouldn't have to resort to writing our own documentation Unhappy
Quote:
Yeah Johnny,

I agree, this is what I've been stressing to people for months about. This software was an idea that went from a few sales to a few hundred sales in a matter of a few months... the software is definately a "code and learn" product at this point and will be as good as ever with the new release. I believe with using a more flexible framework by using OOP - the software will be MUCH more efficient in the near future. I feel that updates will be MUCH better as well since there will be more updating code, less updating features. ;-)

Hey Alan,

Yeah, I agree. The best way to do this would to be appoint two teams... each has their own "manager" and then one main guy to look over everything and submit them to the Dev team. I always find that type of structure very efficient. But, whatever we can do will definatly help out!

I'm definately all about fixing alot of problems as long as there's some good organizing and communication! Smile

I do suggest taking on 1 to 2 bugs at a time and testing patches/fixes on 2-3 test servers before submitting them though. I find that some patches that are released are hardly tested and cause too many other problems. thumbs_up

Ok...you want to be the project manager? Just split those willing into 2 teams and give us our assignments. I'm ready to do anything within my ability to help the cause.
Quote:
Originally posted by: alan
Ok...you want to be the project manager? Just split those willing into 2 teams and give us our assignments. I'm ready to do anything within my ability to help the cause.

That's fine with me... I just need a few days to play catch up with other projects. If anyone has a list of known bugs that aren't getting the attention they deserve, by all means post them up! Happy
Quote:
That's fine with me... I just need a few days to play catch up with other projects. If anyone has a list of known bugs that aren't getting the attention they deserve, by all means post them up! Happy

i think alan may have already mentioned it somewhere.....but work on getting the mass email to workteeth
Im glad he has a no-more-nonse approach to this. I have emailed my members with blank Emails 2-3 times thinking it was me, now i know it was the script. I was afraid of being labled as a spammer by the big email guys like hotmail...etc.
some of my members even blocked me down as spam because the recieved blank emails mad
I agree with alan, if you pay for something and states what it can do, it should do those things without problems false advertisment

But i will say spelling mistakes should be allowed....teeth teeth
I think this is a great idea...anything that gets my site working more efficiently and bug free gets my attention:

I think we need to separate mods from bugs. Let's get the software bug free as it stands then let's mod it: Example:

IM still does not functiona and I am trying to figure out why PHPfox won't just state this and pull it from the code until it works. Nothing more frustrating then to have members have an IM window pop up upon login and find the thing doesn't even work.

The site still drags at times and this can cause loss members, loss revenue and loss of hair!