Store Community Support Documentation
For those of you who dont know, SEO = Search Engine Optimisation

Its a means of modifying your site/blog whatever, in order for it to rank higher in search engines, when people search for key terms that rank to your site

for example - if you type in "dj resource" in google, mydspace (my site), is in postition 3 and 4,

and if you type in "dj forums" on msn, mydjspace (mysite), is in postiion 3 and 4

The thing is sites get optimised for certain keywords, so people get what they want when they are searching for things you can offer

I have created various general tips regarding seo, theres a few threads of mine, and i have helped tens of users via pm with their seo

Im currently workin with "chris@mmuair.com" on the seo for his phpfox, its not something i offer for free generally as im doing actual seo work rather than advice, and should start to see him ranking highly for his keywords pretty soon

SO...whats this mean for you?

Well...if you dont know much about seo, it can be hard to get the time and/or effort to start aiming to rank your website highly

PhpFox software, means that its likely your going to have thousands among thousands of pages, we have like 20,000 listed in google

the issues are, that many pages all have the same description and keywords

although its not so important on member pages - pages such as fun,browse,polls,games,music and whatever extra pages you have, really need to make sure they have different keywords, titles and descriptions in order to be able to link to them, and knowing they arent going to go into googles supplemental results

SO...im going to be working closely with the phpFoX team on my ideas for the next version

one of the main ones is being able to change the keywords and descriptions for the main pages of the site
another is a bottom navigation in plain text format

If you have other things you would like to submit, as i know a few of youdo, please put your ideas here

or if you have any general seo questions, fireaway, if that means it will help you understand it better

damn, that was a long post smile
Be the first person to like this.
Sounds good Glen! I'd like to be able to have Dynamic Titles for the Blogs, is this something you guys have planned?

Thanks,

Clint
the titles are definitely going to be no.1

i wouldnt mind to know exactly how you would like the titles to change, as you may have a different idea on it to me

happy to see peoples ideas and opinions so i can evaluate if they would or wouldnt actually help

Cheers
Glen
I believe the title should be the title of the Blog or Section "Post". I even wanted to work on the URL's at one point - to be given the Title of the "post" as well.

Just seems that it would work out more efficiently...
Thank you for starting a separate thread Glen. I think, by working on SEO is one of the best thing that can happen to PhpFox. Being in internet marketing business since last 11 years, I know the importance of SEO. First of all, thank you for your help, on behalf of all the PhpFox members.

I do have few things to mention here:

1. You are already working on dynamic titles. I feel, the title of the Blog, title of the forum thread, the member's name, classified's title, Group's title, image name should be taken as title of that particular page. It shouldn't be very difficult, vb does it perfectly. No wonder VB forums rank higher than PhpBB.

2. Similarly, we can have dynamic descriptions.

3. A small utility to create automated site map, in html as well as xml.

4. A small utility to ping Google, at pre-decided interval, when the xml sitemap is created in the root directory.

5. A Place in Admin panel to enter Google API so that the sitemap will be picked up automatically when pinged.

6. Ability to carry out link building campaign.

7. RSS feeds for Blogs, Forums etc. This way, the sites can increase the backlinks by submitting blogs via RSS.

8. Alt Tags for images so that Google images can pick up images too.

9. Small utility to inform admin the number of pages indexed on major SEs, backlinks and future PR (if possible)

I know, it's asking for too much but the more we can achieve, better for us.
Quote:
Originally posted by: Prishan
Thank you for starting a separate thread Glen. I think, by working on SEO is one of the best thing that can happen to PhpFox. Being in internet marketing business since last 11 years, I know the importance of SEO. First of all, thank you for your help, on behalf of all the PhpFox members.

1. You are already working on dynamic titles. I feel, the title of the Blog, title of the forum thread, the member's name, classified's title, Group's title, image name should be taken as title of that particular page. It shouldn't be very difficult, vb does it perfectly. No wonder VB forums rank higher than PhpBB.

4. A small utility to ping Google, at pre-decided interval, when the xml sitemap is created in the root directory.

5. A Place in Admin panel to enter Google API so that the sitemap will be picked up automatically when pinged.

7. RSS feeds for Blogs, Forums etc. This way, the sites can increase the backlinks by submitting blogs via RSS.

9. Small utility to inform admin the number of pages indexed on major SEs, backlinks and future PR (if possible)

That's an awesome list... alot of work but still a nice list lol
Quote:
Originally posted by: Prishan

1,2,3,4 should be simple
5 - drew would have to do the admin panel stuff
6 - this is more of a seperate thing and not really you can do in phpfox
7 - rss is soon going to be in the new vbulletin, but i like the idea for blogs
8 - good idea
9 - future pr tools are a joke if im fair, just some dodgy calculations, i could incorportate my own knowledge and tools into this so im sure it could be implemented somehwere relatively easily

thanks, much appreciated smile
Hey GLen,

Can you PM me. I tried PM'ing you but your inbox is full.

I need some SEO help, willing to pay send pm please. Wink
sure thing bro

its clear now wink
Quote:
Originally posted by: Glen

7 - rss is soon going to be in the new vbulletin, but i like the idea for blogs

LOL it already is
Quote:
Originally posted by: Ben
LOL it already is

It already is in what? vBulletin doesn't have RSS, it has hacks available - although I'm not sure how good they work.

As a matter of fact, this is a thread I was reading not too long ago:
http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=188304&highlight=RSS
Quote:
Originally posted by: Ben
LOL it already is

you sure about that benny?

happily prove me wrong if it is cool
It does have rss feeds. Do a search in the manual.

I ended up switching mine off though to save resources Smile
hmm..thanks, will have a look

dont know why they have made such additions with the actuall "rss added to vbulletin" that they call it, if they already had it :S

anyways..dont see what the big fuss about that comment was
After using phpFox for about 2 days...

lose the Google-killing "id" keys in the URLs that Google 'claims' not to spider... I've seent them do it, but they say they don't...better safe than sorry and their use in this app is prolific.

support if-modified-since and last-modified HTTP headers. I've modded phpBB (officially in Beta, but it works) and my 'normal' dynamic pages to support this because PHP doesn't do it natively...Apache does, but not if the page is parsed through the PHP interpreter. Makes Google happy, it's more spider-friendly, and saves massive resources on the server if they don't need to load a particular page (or two, or 5,000) this time around.
Here's an onpage factor you can use now to improve your seo:

- do your keyword research for your site (index) and add them in your main title tags
- make specific sections such as say "forums" for example, cross-linked throughout your site in the footer with "your keywords forum" in the anchor text