I've read threads and the kb, and can't find step-by-step instructions regarding how this works. I know we have to enable the ability to sponsor something first and set the payment gateway, which I've done (I believe).

I just tried doing it as an admin to see what happens. I chose a marketplace listing to sponsor and it highlighted it in green and shows in the upper right-hand sidebar as a Sponsored Listing. However, it doesn't show WHO is sponsoring it, and when I click on the link for the sponsored listing, it says module is unavailable.

?
Be the first person to like this.
Donna(data66)
I did find a bug on two of my sites. If sponsor amount is set at 0 and you let them create sponsored photo ads, it creates an error in the photo section that shows on debug. After the error was fixed, I now cannot see sponsored ads. I am testing this on the dev site because that may be the issue with the sponsored photos not showing up.
Donna(data66)
I cannot get it to work. I have sponsor price at 0. I have it set per user group that they can sponsor marketplace listings (and for each other thing to sponsor like photos, etc). I tried both ways, with "Can members of this user group purchase a sponsored ad space?" set to yes and then no. It is set to show the listing right away.

I see the sponsored marketplace listing in the sponsored block. I see no "sponsored by" as one would expect to see. When I click the sponsored item I go to a page that says "is not valid module". This is even with admin trying it.

For photos I have a different issue. If I set sponsor price to 0 and then visit the photo module on 2.1 or 2.07 I had this error (on my development site) with debug on:

I even upgraded my main site to 2.1 to try to get rid of that error (note the above is on the development site) and it remained so support fixed it with the bug fix however now sponsored photos do not show up at all.

I can't get the sponsor system to work properly on 2.07 or my upgraded 2.1 site.

Note that the above error does not show on my 2.1 dev site that was not an upgrade but a fresh install. Will experiment more if someone else doesn't post some other way to get sponsor stuff to work right.
Last update on June 7, 2011 by Donna(data66).
Donna(data66)
http://www.phpfox.com/tracker/view/6279/comment_92579/page_1/comment_0/ fixed in that tracker for the original problem. Still does not show who is sponsoring the item though.
I was testing how to add campaigns and placements.. worked fine. I figured out, that in ADMINCP it says:

create new campaign
manage campaign
create new placement
manage placement
invoices
manage paid invoices

but it does not show something like
create new sponsorship
manage sponsorhip

BUT when I click to "advertisment" in the footer it shows on the left hand upper side bar "manage advertisment" "manage invoices" AND "manage sponsorhip" ...

Mq question now is, when I click to "add new sponsorhip" it seems to be the same procedure like "add new advertisment" (choose colors, text, image, targeting..)
I thougt a sponsorship is something to "high light" i.e an article list in the marketplace...

So what is the difference now between both of them???

I for sure miss something, like many times Happy

Thanks!
Donna(data66)
http://www.phpfox.com/forum/solved-cases-77/sponsorship/ that thread explains sponsoring.
Donna(data66)
Basically, an ad is when someone wants to advertise something they want to sell or promote of theirs - website, product, band - whatever.

Sponsorship is when someone is advertising something contained on your site to promote it more - blog, photo, video, etc.

Ads are normally external content being promoted
Sponsorship is internal content being promoted
Quote:
Originally posted by: data66

Basically, an ad is when someone wants to advertise something they want to sell or promote of theirs - website, product, band - whatever.

Sponsorship is when someone is advertising something contained on your site to promote it more - blog, photo, video, etc.

Ads are normally external content being promoted
Sponsorship is internal content being promoted

Thanks data66! Why I am not surprised that you are the first who response to my question? You are doinge pretty good here! Thanks for that.

I actually understand the difference between the twho parts, but not how it is setup to create and manage.. cause the sponsorhip can be created and managed the same way like an Ad, what means, like an external content being promoted... that is confusing me a bit. But I will have a look at the link you sent, maybe there it says, why a sponsorsip can be created and managed the same way as an AD... Thanks again data66!
Quote:
Originally posted by: ich-bin-daheim

Thanks data66! Why I am not surprised that you are the first who response to my question? You are doinge pretty good here! Thanks for that.
I actually understand the difference between the twho parts, but not how it is setup to create and manage.. cause the sponsorhip can be created and managed the same way like an Ad, what means, like an external content being promoted... that is confusing me a bit. But I will have a look at the link you sent, maybe there it says, why a sponsorsip can be created and managed the same way as an AD... Thanks again data66!

That was my question as well. There are so many features and tools in phpFox that some of them seem to overlap and I haven't found how to differentiate them and make use of them completely, so I feel I'm missing something...lol. This is one such thing, as far as how to make use of the tools themselves -- ads versus sponsor -- but I also have to go back and re-read.
Donna(data66)
For front end, your members, creating ads and sponsoring items, they need to be able to stop those should they decide to no longer sponsor the video or whatever. Same if they are running an ad.

For admins we also need to be able to disable ads/sponsorships.

You don't understand my term external content? I will try again to explain.

Member named Sally loads a video for a funny dog. Member Billy wants to sponsor Sally's video because it's his dog and he wants the dog to get into acting so he pays to sponsor the video. Sally's dog video now shows in the sponsored video block. This is internal content because it's something loaded into your website.

Member Billy owns a hair salon and has a website for it. He wants to promote it with an ad. He buys an ad placement for his hair salon website. This is external content because the hair salon website is not something inside your site.
Last update on January 17, 2012 by Donna(data66).
The biggest caveat to the sponsor system currently is if you use alot of 3rd party products it becomes somewhat disjointed, as none (correct me if I am wrong) have implemented the sponsor system in their products.

What this results in is you can sell sponsorship of default areas but not all areas on your site and it will lead to a confusing mix. Some mods allow you to buy featured status which also adds to the overall confusion. Think about the possibilities if 3rd parties did this, ie sponsored tournaments in arcade etc etc

Sponsorship is set up per usergroup settings, so for example

Usergroup settings for Registered member -> go to Events and you will see the 3 or 4 options depending on the module relating to sponsorship.
Quote:

For front end, your members, creating ads and sponsoring items, they need to be able to stop those should they decide to no longer sponsor the video or whatever. Same if they are running an ad.

Member named Sally loads a video for a funny dog. Member Billy wants to sponsor Sally's video because it's his dog and he wants the dog to get into acting so he pays to sponsor the video. Sally's dog video now shows in the sponsored video block. This is internal content because it's something loaded into your website.

Member Billy owns a hair salon and has a website for it. He wants to promote it with an ad. He buys an ad placement for his hair salon website. This is external content because the hair salon website is not something inside your site.

It's been a while since I read through these features and tried to absorb. As mentioned, I need to go back through things (both adminCP and posts about it) to see if I understand better especially in light of your explanation here. Smile

I also understand the difference between ad/sponsor as far as internal versus external content. The confusion had to do with how to best implement it in AdminCP. I honestly don't recall the specific questions I had previously, but I recall being confused about how to best implement both given the setup in AdminCP. I didn't/don't have confusion about the concepts themselves.

Just as I'm confused about user groups vs. lists, similar thing...lol.
Donna(data66)
Quote:
Originally posted by: Dazzy

The biggest caveat to the sponsor system currently is if you use alot of 3rd party products it becomes somewhat disjointed, as none (correct me if I am wrong) have implemented the sponsor system in their products.

What this results in is you can sell sponsorship of default areas but not all areas on your site and it will lead to a confusing mix. Some mods allow you to buy featured status which also adds to the overall confusion. Think about the possibilities if 3rd parties did this, ie sponsored tournaments in arcade etc etc

Sponsorship is set up per usergroup settings, so for example

Usergroup settings for Registered member -> go to Events and you will see the 3 or 4 options depending on the module relating to sponsorship.

Yeah, good point. I see feature requests coming for all the 3rd party devs. lol

Dena, I'll have to make some ad/sponsor tutorials if I can get some time to. Smile
Last update on January 17, 2012 by Donna(data66).
Quote:

I did understand .. I am not that dummy.. but you dont know what I mean. .you are talking about something different, which I did not ask. The thing is, there is a double entry in the left side bar in the mod "ad" (when clicking in the footer).. one is called "create ad" the other "create sponsorhip" but BOTH do the same.. just create an ad... but anyways, thanks for trying to help me.
gbengalex
My question is simple: how do i setup an array of external banner ads in Block 3 like you see on Facebook? I simply want to have affilliate banners staked up in block 3 because no one is going to pay for ads or sponsorhip until you have serious traffic. But you can get a modest revenue stream until then from running affilate ads in block 3.
Donna(data66)
You would set your ads to show more than one ad in the manage settings >> ad and put 3 for how many per location but this is sitewide. I believe there is a feature request to change this.

The other thing you could try is putting the ad codes in one block rather than in as ads.