(I've read the other posts, but I thought it would be good to have a thread devoted strictly to Janrain setup/issues.)

I get confused when something is already installed in V3 (like tinymce and now Janrain) yet we need to activate or customize or whatever.

I set up the apps for FB and twitter at Janrain. I've configured the widget at Janrain. I've inserted the secret key and application domain info in my AdminCP.

So, at Janrain, they have a three-step process (that I see) to set up this appropriately for sign in at one's website:

1. Set up the widget. That's done.
2. Get the code (isn't that already installed in V3?)
3. Call the API -- do I need to do this next and then it should work?

If #3 is what I have to do (it deals with token codes and inserting it into the widget code and just seems really intense...lol), has anyone done this to provide any guidance?

Data66, if you've given these specifics somewhere already, I apologize.

Thanks in advance. Smile
Be the first person to like this.
If I only want to use 2 providers rather than 6 (which i have just set up on Janrain) is it possible to just show the two? My site is still showing 6 providors on the janrain login box.

many thanks
Marc,

Yes it is possible. You will need to edit the icon image to reflect this but it is easy enough to do.
Ptoone...how do I edit the Icon image? It is not easy for me cry
You need to login to server file manager or ftp and locate this folder location:

http://yourdomain.com/theme/frontend/default/style/default/image/layout/janrain-icons.png
The url was shortened so here is the path ...

/theme/frontend/default/style/default/image/layout/janrain-icons.png
I wanted to activate Facebook for Janrain (I never wanted a Facebook account) but it seems that Facebook is blocking App creation for new registered users? I cannot create an app within Facebook...I am blocked from doing so even though I have followed all their verification requirements...Gov. issued ID card, credit card, etc. Anyone else seeing this problem?

Does anyone have any experience with adding an app on Facebook? I can see how it's done but Facebook is blocking adding apps for my account.
Last update on July 4, 2012 by CJE.
Any ideas?
Donna(data66)
You did the verification and still are blocked? I would say to contact them.
They offer an appeal form but it's simply a form to re-upload your drivers license/Gov. issued I.D. I cannot find a 'contact us' link on Facebook. The message on their re-up page says you just have to wait...Janrain is just as bad. They offer no support and decline pre-sales questions: I have tried. With service like that I would think twice before buying anything from them.
Hello Clifton:

We do recall receiving your initial inquiry submitted to Janrain's support site. Though we have an automatic bounce for Basic (Free | no support) users who attempt to submit direct tickets, we read your particular request (ticket #4631) and did reply promptly since we were concerned that Facebook's developer portal may be having issues. At that time, we offered troubleshooting steps.

That was two days ago, and we never heard a response from you. You are the first person who has had such difficulty creating Facebook apps. I would implore you to work with Facebook to resolve this issue. Unfortunately, there is nothing that Janrain can do. We would if we could. Furthermore, if this was endemic (happening to all who attempt to configure a Facebook app for Engage), we would have a huge issue on our plate. This is not the case.

With that said, it would be unfair to lump Janrain in to your frustration with Facebook.
Donna(data66)
I use Janrain on my sites with no issue and the phpFox demos also have Janrain enabled.

Are you using the various tutorials for creating Facebook app for your site? Janrain has a step by step tutorial and I also have one on my site. There is also an older tutorial in the knowledgebase here but it is a little out-dated.
Thank you for your reply - I have finally gotten Facebook to lift the ban on my account. As for email from Janrain I only received the denial email. It is possible that if the second email came from another account it may have been rejected by my email server's spam filter. If that is the case I apologize. I do not delete emails that pertain to active issues for this reason. I will check the mailserver logs and adjust as necessary. It has taken over a week and a half to get verification from Facebook. I too hope that is not the norm.

***All done Facebook app is built and login works just fine. Now off to Twitter...geeze...(never wanted a Twitter account either). I am really liking PhpFox with Janrain. Sorry things got so messed up with Facebook. Janrain is working perfectly.
Last update on July 6, 2012 by CJE.
sorry for the question, is Janrein free or cost something? tks
It is free for up to 6 services and limited by a certain amount of signups but free version is enough for most users.
tks a lot