Okay, I'm getting REALLY confused. cry

I have several private groups at my site.

Normally I'm logged in as admin, so of course I can see everything in the feed because 1) I'm also a member of the private groups and 2) I'm "friends" with everyone, so I see all activity in the feed.

I completely forgot that I was logged in as another user (with their permission) who is NOT an admin, nor is this person "friends" with anyone but me, the admin.

I saw a discussion comment taking place in the one private group that I wanted to respond to. So, without thinking, I clicked on it and was able to comment in that private group discussion area -- but the thing is, I was logged in as another member who IS NOT A MEMBER OF THAT PRIVATE GROUP.

I'm now very confused about what feeds into the activity feed from private groups and who all can see what and how that opens a door for others to infiltrate private groups.

Help, please!

confused
Be the first person to like this.
Donna(data66)
This touches on something I've seen a couple of times. Did you do the "log in as member" from admin panel?
No. I had logged in normally as the other member.
Donna(data66)
I have just tested on my dev site, made a private page with Friends only that could see it and members only for every other setting. I logged in as a registered user that was not a friend of the admin that made the page. I cannot even see the page.

But, on other occasions, if I logged in as member, I've been able to view things that only admin could view. I've even had the admincp link still visible. This is a very random thing though.

Will do more testing. Feel free to create a private group on my main site if you want and we can test stuff. That way your members won't see all the testing and mine are used to freaky things going on. LOL
Donna(data66)
Quote:
Originally posted by: Dena

No. I had logged in normally as the other member.

Ok I'll come look at your site then. Tongue
I'm so sorry.

I just discovered the problem with this, and it has to do with a user group setting I had set this member at and the permissions.

I am still nervous about what goes in the activity feed and who can see what, so I'm going to try logging in as different user group levels so I can put my mind to ease about that.

I'll post after I've done so in case others are worried and following this thread.

But this original issue I posted about here was my own fault. As usual.

Smile
Things seem to be okay. I see that I need to create different admin accounts for different purposes, as the account I tend to use is "friends" with all members, which opens the door to a lot of confusion when I interact, especially in private areas.

Thanks, and sorry to have been alarmist...lol.

Smile
Osii

This happened to me. I've created a private group for personnel activities and all feeds i have entered in the group, is displaing in my actitivy feed. So eveyone can read that. Shouldn't private keep all feeds and others private in the group?

Thanks.

Osii

Sorry! It's working fine.