Donna(data66)
Due to recent complaints and issues, we are changing the add on review procedures.

In the past, when an add on had a bad review, a developer could have that bad review removed if they gave a refund and then the client no longer owned the product so the review was removed per request since it no longer qualified for the review. We will no longer do this as it is not leading to some of the add ons being fixed as they should be.

From now on, if a product has a bad review and the client is refunded, only the client can remove that bad review. If developers hold hostage a refund in order to remove a bad review, they can be reported to our Community Department in the support tickets.

We want to also ensure that only true reviews are added to the add ons. We will not allow:

1. Clients to add a fake review. If a product was not ever purchased (or if free if it was not ever installed) and if a review is posted just to defame or harass a developer, this is against policy and can result in a loss of forum privileges as per our community rules. The same goes for fake good reviews. If we find that you are posting fake reviews of products you don't even have on your site, those will be removed. At this time, you won't lose forum privileges for posting the fake good reviews but you won't have a warning that the review is being removed.

2. Blackmailing for extra stuff. If we get reports that a client is blackmailing a developer to get customizations or other things and saying they will post bad reviews or threads, we will revoke forum privileges of the client. If those things are posted before we are informed of the blackmail, then we will revoke forum privileges.

3. If a product is purchased but not delivered then the client can review it as not received and also post a complaint to our community department where we will attempt to mediate.

4. If a product is purchased and a review submitted that it does not work and then is found that the product was not installed correctly or client was not using it correctly, the developer can submit to have the review removed and we will investigate the issue.

5. Posting a bad review for something not related to the add on/template's performance. ie: it uses encryption; you can't figure out how to modify it, etc. Reviews are for the performance of the add on and for the performance of the developer in their support tickets. Developers are allowed to use encryption on their products and that is no reason for a bad review. We will remove reviews for things not related to the add on performance or the developer's support.

Developers, we will not allow an add on to be deleted and re-added just to remove bad comments or reviews. If we find this happening, it won't be approved on re-submittal. This issue has been complained about by several clients and developers and we need to put a stop to it.

Developers are discouraged from withholding support for add ons in order to encourage a good review. Such actions can be reported to our Community Department where we will investigate such claims. We want to encourage that all reviews be honest reviews and methods of coercion used to get a good review such as not answering questions or withholding support are to be avoided and reported in order to maintain accuracy of reviews.

If a product is fixed after a bad review then the developer can submit a ticket to the Community Department about the bad review and that the issue is fixed. We encourage the client to amend the review. If they won't, we can edit the review to say that the issue was fixed.

We hope that this will encourage developers to fix any issues with their products and clients to add relevant reviews so that our add ons are the best they can be for all involved.

Clients having faith in a product is very important and without that, sales decline. If our add ons truly reflect the user experience, this can only benefit all involved.

Developers not having to deal with possible threats of "bad reviews" to get free stuff can only help our add on market as more developers have confidence in this whole process to add their products. We recently had a developer leave over the issue of client blackmail techniques.

I will leave this thread open for questions but if it becomes a war zone it will need to be closed. We are only trying to improve things here and progress toward a better experience for all involved.

Thank you.
Last update on March 8, 2014 by Donna(data66).
Be the first person to like this.
There are false reviews? and i thought those reviews that are added at the same time as the addon were real hehe Wink
Donna(data66)
Quote:
Originally posted by: mostlymom

LOL You know the developers aren't going to ask for the false GOOD reviews to be removed, just the bad ones.

We get reports of false good reviews too when it's obvious that someone is just going and reviewing stuff they don't even have. But it does take cooperation from everyone to clean this up.
Quote:
Originally posted by: data66
If a product is fixed after a bad review then the developer can submit a ticket to the Community Department about the bad review and that the issue is fixed. We can then remove it after confirming it's fixed.

I have to disagree with ANY consumer's review being removed, I've seen bad devs here in the past make claims that things were fixed or being taken care of. This should be left up to the reviewer, the CONSUMER. But there should be some verified fact notation that an issue has been "fixed" OR resolved. Go to almost any site where products are sold and being reviewed you'll often see bad reviews are not removed when things are resolved or fixed BUT they are often updated with notations from site owners and the vendors who sell their products on those sites.

Support of products is very important and if a DEV can't provide decent support, a quick fix and/or a response in a timely manner THAT review should never be removed.

Quote:
Developers not having to deal with possible threats of "bad reviews" to get free stuff can only help our add on market as more developers have confidence in this whole process to add their products. We recently had a developer leave over the issue of client blackmail techniques.

I've never heard of any business leaving a site solely for that reason and I wonder if there might have been other circumstances phpFox isn't aware of that factored into them not wanting to do business here. He/she should have addressed this problem openly here in these forums since they were a part of this community.

While there are a few out there who will stoop to lows to get things, most people buying things on the Internet are honest folks.

Again I wish to say these new policies are good for the most part but I once again also have to emphasize that it is us, the consumers, who buy these products and it is we who pay for the licenses, branding removal, upgrades and paid support for the phpFox script.

We're also the people who are spending our money on 3rd party developer products and if phpFox is making commissions on these products that is okay as well.

The bottom line is the consumer holds the purse strings so they should always be considered first in these matters. Whether the customer is right or wrong is another matter.
Last update on February 28, 2013 by dman.
Donna(data66)
The add on area is here as a privilege for the clients and developers to have an easy place to find the add ons. We state in a big block there that the add ons are provided and supported by the 3rd party developers and are not maintained by phpFox. We are simply trying to improve the reviews. If a product is fixed, then the review that was pointing to the defect can be removed.
A vendor fixing their product after really bad support does not warrant removing anyone’s review which is why I suggested that a notation could be done on any bad review. Another suggestion would be to allow people to edit their reviews.

As I have said before, I have never heard of bad reviews being removed when things are fixed on most sites where products are listed, sold and reviewed. Reviews and comments leave a trail on a vendor’s history. Consumers have a right to base their decisions based on an overall history not just favorable reviews. If a vendor improves their products and support, the reviews will improve. Deleting reviews only opens up a Pandora’s box of future abuses from the devs here who have a history of negative problems with their support and products.

The “privilege” of the Add On area primarily serves Vendors who get a free license/free upgrades to sell, promote and market their products/services to the people who purchase the phpFox script license and pay for renewed support/future upgrades.

Unless phpFox is getting some sort of commissions from these developers/vendors, I think phpFox needs to be more favorable towards the consumers who are purchasing the script and paying for renewed support/upgrades.

If not, then for complete “fairness” perhaps phpFox should start charging 3rd party devs and vendors a Listing fee for each product being marketed and sold here. After all, if their products were not listed here it would not help their business so maybe they should be paying for that “privilege” since they do not pay for licenses/upgrades.

I appreciate that you are trying to change things for the better so please don’t take this post as being an “attack” it is only feedback from me, a consumer, who has consistently paid for ongoing upgrades and support on two licenses for almost three years now. Because I feel devs/vendors are being favored over consumers, for now I have made a decision to stop renewing the continued paid support for now. Although I have not had any need for that paid support for some time now, I continued paying for it solely to help support the product which probably also helps pay coders/staff salaries beyond the upgrade renewal fees.

I am sorry you are disappointed that I have not fully supported you on this matter but this rule about removing bad reviews/negative comments after being fixed/resolved is unfair to the consumers buying the products.

Quote:

The add on area is here as a privilege for the clients and developers to have an easy place to find the add ons. We are simply trying to improve the reviews. If a product is fixed, then the review that was pointing to the defect can be removed.
Donna(data66)
Quote:
Please post a review of your experience but again, keep it civil and just state the facts. Your review won't be removed when the issue is resolved, but once the issue is fixed, you are encouraged to update it.

http://www.phpfox.com/forum/general-addons-discussion-81/add-on-discussions/

I guess you missed my post today.
Oh I missed it. Due to my ADD condition it sometimes takes me a while to compose my posts. Thanks for calling this to my attention.

Quote:

UPDATED (ADDED REMARK)
Okay now I see why I missed, it is in a different forum thread

Quote:

Due to issues recently, we are having to revise this in order to ensure that clients are able to receive support from developers.

If you try to contact a developer to work with them in their support, and they do not respond after at least two attempts (during their normal business hours), and within their stated response times, you can post either a thread (notify the developer of the thread) or a comment in the discussion tab within the forum posted rules. Note that these comments/threads will be removed once the issue is resolved as our forum is for support of our product.

Please keep it civil and non attacking and just post the facts.

Please post your ticket numbers so the developer can find them.

Please post a review of your experience but again, keep it civil and just state the facts. Your review won't be removed when the issue is resolved, but once the issue is fixed, you are encouraged to update it.

Please make us aware of the issue in a pm to data66 or Mostlymom so we know of the comment/thread.

You are encouraged to contact us in support to the Community Department rather than post in the forum for this, however, we can only try to mediate the situation in a best attempt effort. Should the add on have 3 or more bad reviews, it can be considered for removal.

If you find that your attempts to receive support end up with you being banned from the developer's help system, and you have paid for your product, please file a formal complaint to our Community Department so we can look into the issue. We encourage developers to work with clients to resolve issues. Non support of add ons (paid add ons) is grounds for removal from our add on section. Continued non support of add ons is grounds for removal from our developer program. Add on support includes only the add on working on the site and with the features stated and is not intended to include support to customize the add on.

Note that any posts that violate our community rules (linked in my signature) will be removed without prior notice and a warning sent to the member that posts. We do not want to see forum wars started over these posts so please ensure to follow the guidelines posted here.
Last update on April 7, 2013 by dman.
Donna(data66)
Quote:
Originally posted by: dman

Oh I missed it. Due to my ADD condition it sometimes takes me a while to compose my posts. Thanks for calling this to my attention.

No problem. Trying to get this improved even in small steps. Seeing what works and apparently what does not.
Quote:

phpFox. We are simply trying to improve the reviews. If a product is fixed, then the review that was pointing to the defect can be removed.

Can you not leave the bad review, and write a comment "Fixed" below the bad review.
This way users will know the developer is updating his mods, and users can check for themselves if issues really has been solved.
Donna(data66)
Quote:
Originally posted by: thpl

Can you not leave the bad review, and write a comment "Fixed" below the bad review.
This way users will know the developer is updating his mods, and users can check for themselves if issues really has been solved.

Please read post #20
where to post an add on review?
Donna(data66)
Go to the add on you purchased, http://www.phpfox.com/addons/ and click on the review tab and review it there please. Find the add on that you bought .
Donna(data66)
We are getting reports of clients again trying to blackmail developers into doing custom work for free or the client will submit a bad review. Again, please see

Quote:

2. Blackmailing for extra stuff. If we get reports that a client is blackmailing a developer to get customizations or other things and saying they will post bad reviews or threads, we will revoke forum privileges of the client. If those things are posted then we will revoke forum privileges.

You won't be warned before being banned from this forum if you try to blackmail developers if we get proof of the blackmail. We have had to change this some as clients are still doing it.
Last update on March 8, 2014 by Donna(data66).
good!
just because someone got a refund, doesn't mean the product doesn't su**.

keeping the reviews there can save people a lot of headaches.

you shouldn't even let the user remove the bad reviews - they should all remain permanent.

now your problem will be the cra**y devs saying "hey, i'll give you a free update on something else if you take that review down."
Last update on March 8, 2014 by data66.
Donna(data66)
Quote:
Originally posted by: drastic

now your problem will be the cra*** devs saying "hey, i'll give you a free update on something else if you take that review down."

Not for long Wink