anyone know how to make display name and username the same....
1. i want to hide the display name field in registration.
2. put whatever value you add to the username field will go into the newly hidden display field.
is this possible does anyone know how to do this...
Be the first person to like this.
Quote:
Originally posted by: Du'Carlion

if

yea i wish i could master php, its not from lack of effort, there is just no classes in Miami, i have gone to dozens of schools, but none offer php

or else this world not even be an issue, would just be like @#$@%@ ""if"" username!bla_bla_bla= diosplayname$$$%^&lolol ;}
hmm on my site its user name :/ how it became that way i dont know, oh my gosh, they old members will kill me if i switch lol, i guess i will have to to prevent in future more probs, will test on my dev first

Quote:
Originally posted by: data66

Display name is what is on the profile. You can set it to display name or full name for the term used. The username is just for what they log in with. I suppose the phrase could be changed to log in name.
ok i see now checking there is full name and then user name, i was a little confused, right now i have it set i guess to full name, going to try to change in admin now
ok i see where some of te confusion may be

on sign up there is Full Name then User Name, in admincp this does not exist, there is how ever Display Name which I guess controls User Name

This how ever if changed in admincp to display name, does not change accounts already created with Full Name, this only changes it on signup so there is only user name option

A rather confusing situation here because i dont know how this will affect old memers and if in edit will full name still be there or what

none the less this will require a lot of testing, will get back on this later after many tests, but now i'm getting ready for the football games :)
Donna(data66)
There is username and display name which is also full name. Go to AdminCP >> Settings >> Manage Settings >> User

Display or Full Name

When a user registers on the site they can either enter their full name or display name. This setting controls what they should be entering.

Then there is also this:

Disable Username on Registration
If this is enabled it will disable the "Username" field on the registration form. The Username is used to create a vanity URL of users (eg. http://www.site.com/username). If this is disabled we will use their unique ID number to create their vanity URL. You can then enable a user group setting that can allow users to edit their username at a later time.

and also this:

Profile User ID Connection
Set to True if you would like to have user profiles connected via their user ID#. Set to False if you would like to have user profiles connected via their user name.

Note if you connect via their user ID# you will allow your members the ability to use non-supported characters which are not allowed if connecting a profile with their user name.

Warning: This action cannot be reversed.
This setting may lock users out if you force log in by their user names

explained here:

http://www.phpfox.com/kb/article/393/profile-user-id-connection/

All of these settings allow for a lot of control over the username and display/full name and profile url.
Last update on January 19, 2014 by Donna(data66).
Donna(data66)
Quote:
Originally posted by: Du'Carlion

screenshots in the article linked are both 404 too data
or are here atleast
could just be image host
just thought id inform

Will have to remember to check that tomorrow. My Patriots are playing in a few minutes for the playoffs. Superbowl here we come! (hopefully)

Anyway been testing. Here comes a Lucy 'splanation.

In v2 we had full name and username. That caused a lot of confusion with sign ups because people thought fullname would be private and username be displayed. So many of us, myself included wanted that changed to be display name because that tells someone that, this will be displayed but back then we had to edit source to change fullname to display name (yes Lucy edited source back then).

So the feature was implemented to allow admin to choose between the wording Fullname or Displayname but both are the same thing - its the name that will display on the site.

However, then people wanted the vanity urls "just like facebook". Ok so that was accepted and in order to have that they made a mistake. They meaning developers. Yes I do even say that at times we make mistakes.

The username was supposed to be only used for logging in and not displayed. However, the mistake here is that instead of the profile vanity url taking the display name, it takes the username. That is something I don't like.

So. Yes that part would be best to change so that the vanity url uses the displayname/fullname as opposed to the username.

However, that would be a feature request. I would vote for that one but not one to remove usernames completely. IMO, usernames should be for what I was told before that they are for, just for logging in as an added security measure.

Ok hope that 'splains it.
sounds good now, i will probably change in phrase manager, the "choose username" to "choose vanity url"
LOL this thread blew me away and Im sitting here shaking my head.

@shtefcs - if you want the feature in YOUR version of fox then pay a developer to make it so on your site. Its a simple fix and took my guys minutes to implement and is not a big picture item that the people at Fox should be focusing on when they are building core features and improvements.

I am more and more turned off from helping in this PEER TO PEER forum by people who incessantly whine and moan expecting every little whim of theirs to be granted, for free, by the people at Fox.

People who are serious about their sites and their businesses seek and find solutions, not cry and demand handouts - if you are more than just a hobbyist I suggest you do the same.
all in all i think this was a productive thread, devs are expensive and very hard to find a good one and the good ones have too much work and never available, what makes me shake my head is that someone would shake their head for trying to get help in a forum design to try to get some help

you may have been lucky but even well known 3rd party devs here have been a real big nightmare and everyone knows this, there are only hundreds of pages though out this forum of terrible experiences with devs
Donna(data66)
Quote:
Originally posted by: Sith

you may have been lucky but even well known 3rd party devs here have been a real big nightmare and everyone knows this, there are only hundreds of pages though out this forum of terrible experiences with devs

Working on that for 2014. Change is coming.
webwolf
Well, if I were going to do this I would set username on registration off to make the username input go away. Then I would make 2 plugins.

*Product: core
*Module: user
Title: UserNameCheck
Hook: user.service_process_add_1
Active: yes
code:
PHP:
if (Phpfox::getParam('user.split_full_name'))
{

$aVals['full_name'] = $aVals['first_name'] . ' ' $aVals['last_name'];
}
$aVals['user_name'] = str_replace(' ''_'$aVals['full_name']);
$aInsert['user_name'] = $oParseInput->clean($aVals['user_name']);
Phpfox::getService('user.validate')->user($aInsert['user_name']);
$sSiteUserName=$aInsert['user_name']; 

and

Title: UserNameChange
Hook: user.service_process_add_feed
code:
PHP:
$this->database()->update(Phpfox::getT('user'), array('user_name' => $sSiteUserName), 'user_id = ' $iId); 

This will make the user_name a title-ized version of the full_name for registrants. Developed on 3.7.0 but only briefly tested.
Last update on January 20, 2014 by webwolf.
Quote:

all in all i think this was a productive thread, devs are expensive and very hard to find a good one and the good ones have too much work and never available, what makes me shake my head is that someone would shake their head for trying to get help in a forum design to try to get some help

Then look elsewhere - programmers are everywhere and good ones are available and are more than able to pick up working with Fox quickly enough.
I'm not going to go with this trolling, first off you went off topic, you were the one crying, you gave no input to this or help, you just did what you disliked and that is you complained, if you dont have nothing to contribute or to stay in subject, i find it offensive you come here and bully this thread of someone simply asking for help, you are breaking the forum rules, you went off subject and offended, if you have a problem with ppl asking for help, well sry

i got a good info from this thread and help, data gave me answer with no code, good things come from asking and ppl learn, you seem to not like progress or less fortunate ppl to learn and seek help, maybe you can start your own thread of things you dislike but i don't think doing it on other ppls threads is a kind thing, no offense bro, I just say it like I see it, no ones perfect
Donna(data66)
Quote:

data gave me answer with no code,

data had no code to give but thanks to Webwolf you have an answer and this thread is resolved. :)
Quote:
Originally posted by: webwolf

Well, if I were going to do this I would set username on registration off to make the username input go away. Then I would make 2 plugins.

Title: UserNameCheck
Hook: user.service_process_add_1
code:
PHP:
if (Phpfox::getParam('user.split_full_name'))
{

$aVals['full_name'] = $aVals['first_name'] . ' ' $aVals['last_name'];
}
$aVals['user_name'] = str_replace(' ''_'$aVals['full_name']);
$aInsert['user_name'] = $oParseInput->clean($aVals['user_name']);
Phpfox::getService('user.validate')->user($aInsert['user_name']);
$sSiteUserName=$aInsert['user_name']; 

and

Title: UserNameChange
Hook: user.service_process_add_feed
code:
PHP:
$this->database()->update(Phpfox::getT('user'), array('user_name' => $sSiteUserName), 'user_id = ' $iId); 

This will make the user_name a title-ized version of the full_name for registrants. Developed on 3.7.0 but only briefly tested.

Wow man, no words for you. Perfect, just what i wanted. Please send me on PM your paypal, I gonna send little bit bonus for your help.

You make me so happy today.