So here I am sitting in an airport waiting on an unexpected connection flight when I get an email from my ad server about a new potential campaign that wishes to run on our social network. I take a look at it, terms are good and its going to add a nice chunk of change to my monthly so I click accept and think; that was easy!

This got me thinking about the PHPFox community and how many on here are looking to start or grow their revenue via their sites and how it seems many are not finding a good fit for doing so. So to this end I thought I would share what I have been doing for the last year and the results that I have seen in the hopes that there might be a nugget within it that you can apply to your communities...

My network has been online for over 5 years and during that time I have signed up with numerous online offerings for my ads. This has included having staff cold calling niche businesses, AdSense, affiliate programs and banner exchanges. Not 1 of these brought in any "real" profit on a consistent basis and I knew my site should be making decent coin off of ads for the simple fact that I have a large community and what I consider decent monthly impressions. So I enlisted a consultant for a one day training seminar for myself and a staff member on sales / marketing. This was the best money I think I could have spent because after that day I had the focus that I needed to take my ads in a new direction.

In January of last year on the recommendation of several industry people and my own research I signed up for 1 ad server and dropped all of the others that I was using. This site is found at www.buysellads.com (No I am not an affiliate that's the straight link) and I can say without hesitation that it was the best move I could have done. Within 3 months of being a customer of theirs I had tripled my ad revenues and today just over a year later I am accepting deals like the one above that are more than I would have made in 3 or 4 months of working hard at ever angle I could with my old "systems".

Don't get me wrong its not a sit back and watch the money flow system; there is work to do, its NOT CHEAP to use and there are minimum thresholds your site needs to meet prior to be accepted by them in terms of traffic, impressions and content.

So what I learned in the past several years is - get good advice, make a plan and them implement it... Not the reverse like I had been doing!

Hope this is of help for someone!

Cheers
Last update on April 26, 2014 by Zixia604.
Be the first person to like this.