Fred Beall
What is the latest version of v3 available?
Does my existing license entitle me to update to v4?
I downloaded two versions from my downloads just now.
One was v3. It came as a file called "phpfox-v3-dist-master" -- how do I know what specific version this is? How can I tell if it is newer than the v3 I am running on my live site?
The other was v 4. Since I was granted a download of it, does this mean I my existing license allows me to install it?
Thanks for any and all guidance.
Be the first person to like this.
Donna(data66)
What is the latest version of v3 available?
Does my existing license entitle me to update to v4?
I downloaded two versions from my downloads just now.
One was v3. It came as a file called "phpfox-v3-dist-master" -- how do I know what specific version this is? How can I tell if it is newer than the v3 I am running on my live site?
The other was v 4. Since I was granted a download of it, does this mean I my existing license allows me to install it?
Thanks for any and all guidance.
1. v3.8
2. check in your system overview to see what version you have
3. yes you can upgrade your current site to v4 or you can delete your site and use v4 instead. No, you cannot have two installs with only one license.
Fred Beall
Thanks Donna! No desire to run two at once, just wanted to be sure my license extended to use of version 4. Thanks again!
Are there any instruction for how to upgrade from V3 to V4? If so, any the modules and plugins from V3 still work after upgrading? Thanks so much.
Donna(data66)
In our Knowledge base forum section is a link to the new knowledge base. In there is the tutorial to upgrade. No, v3 modules won't work unless the developers that make them say they will work fine. Most things need tweaks. Themes need a lot of fixing as the theme system is different.
Thanks so much Donna for your great replying.
I have uploaded phpFox 4.2 RC to develope site for upgrade from v3.8. However, it just showed message as below
"Upgrade Taking Place
Check back in a few minutes."
Did I miss some thing? any idea?
Thanks so much for help.
Donna(data66)
Did you follow the upgrade instructions as you should see the upgrade screen when going to the link in the upgrade instructions. It should ask for your license id and key if you follow those steps.
Thanks Donna,
I have following this https://docs.phpfox.com/display/FOX4MAN/Upgrading+Your+phpFox+Website . After I uploaded phpFox 4.2 RC, then it just showed "Upgrade Taking Place
Check back in a few minutes." without ask for license id and key.
Appreciated for your help.
Donna(data66)
The url posted in that tutorial should have shown the license screen when you went to it for your domain. You did go to the url it said to go to, right?
Fred Beall
Is there an upgrade price to move forward? Is there a "downloads" section to show me the latest version my licensed extends to? Thanks for all help...
Jonathan Mitchell
current V3 version should be 3.9.0 , not 3.8. I would browse through here and see all the issues ppl are having with V4 before putting it on a live site
Fred Beall
Thanks.
Jonathan Mitchell
Thanks.
no problem. V3.9.0 is full featured and you'll lose a lot of those features in V4. Such as ability to upload videos, unable to use HTML tags in comment (except those that are pre-allowed), ability to control what user groups can access which menus...plus lot more
Fred Beall
OK, got it. I appreciate the heads up.
Jonathan Mitchell
Judging by your original post, I'm assuming you're fairly new to phpfox? In case you're not aware, you can have 2 installs..1 as a "live" site and one as a development site to test new scripts, apps and so on.
You can search the knowledge base on how to set up a development site. I would suggest 3.9 on the Live site and V4 on the dev site. That way you have a robust, stable version as Live and are still able to monitor the progression of V4 on your dev site and decide if and when you want to use just V4
Fred Beall
I had been aware of that but had not ever set up a dev site. Good advice. Thank you!