Isabella Jolie
We are pleased to announce the release of phpFox 4.5.2 is ready now. This version is focused on only 1 main objective: improving significantly the quality of Core script. On top of issues from your valuable feedback on phpFox Community and GitHub, many other issues have been found and fixed thoroughly. There are no new features added. But you would be surprised if knowing how much effort we have spent on this release. It makes us believe that this will be the most stable phpFox version than ever. From now, we will have full focus on phpFox 4.6.0 to make our Core script even better.
Please visit our blog https://blog.phpfox.com/2017/04/03/phpfox-4-5-2-released-now/ to view all info about this release.
Well.. I'm glad I reviewed this section of PHPFox Announcements and News.
I have been a user since version 1.6.21 and have purchased licenses plus apps, themes, etc... throughout the spectrum of phpfox versions. I won't even try to count how much money I've spent on phpfox over the years.
I was not satisfied with the functionality of phpfox 4.5.2 and have dropped back to Version 3.9 which is actually the most complete version of any of the many versions of phpfox. And if one uses the Base 5 theme on V3.9 it approximates the look of the base theme for phpfox 4.5.2
Anyway, I was thinking of just going ahead and using 4.5.2 afterall and dealing with the flaws over time if in fact phpfox was going to continue with the development of this version.
My experience with phpfox ever since V1.625 is that they NEVER complete a version before they jump on to the next one.
I am glad I read this section because once again I see that phpfox will NOT be completing Version 4.5.2 but have now jumped on to version 4.6
It's sad, because phpfox could be a good, no, exceptional program.. And unfortunately because of this quirky behaviour of phpfox I will never use this for any of my clients or recommend it to anyone.
It just isn't
So as long as I am going to continue using phpfox it will be with V3.9 or perhaps depending on the site, I will go back to the old V1 or V2, although they no longer support video. They do each have great features of their own and are complete.
Terry Mitchell
Toronto, Canada
I do like v1.x.x.x. in terms of useful features and having a fully running with a viable user base. v4.x.x.x. not so much, due to it being so counter intuitive. Sadly.
Be the first person to like this.
Kibcode
So as long as I am going to continue using phpfox it will be with V3.9 or perhaps depending on the site, I will go back to the old V1 or V2, although they no longer support video. They do each have great features of their own and are complete.
seriously? previous versions have bugs too and i would not recommend going back to v1 or v2 ;) btw there is a new video app from phpfox that allows video uploads to your server.
the next thing i have to say is that other script have issues too. personally i prefer phpfox because of its nice and modern look and feel and the core features. compared to other scripts the features are very nice. i understand that when you are coming from v3 with a big number of users you may need some features that are gone at the moment but as you can see in the last months they try to bring them back again.
maybe you and others should start a thread with a clean list of the features from v3 that you are missing? that would be a constructive post.
Kibcode
I do like v1.x.x.x. in terms of useful features and having a fully running with a viable user base. v4.x.x.x. not so much, due to it being so counter intuitive. Sadly.
maybe you could also make a list of those counter intuitive things? some of them could be solved by simple changes in your themes template.
JohnJr
TorontoGuy,
so I am not trying to talk you down from that ledge :) but I am confused. I have been here since V2 and I still have v3.9 on a demo site and I do agree the previous version to this release had issues...so much that I didn't try to fix it. But this version (besides the video issues I am seeing but it does not affect me as I don't use videos) seems actually pretty good. There is actually 11 official bugs on github but a total of 21 open cases. Anything in version v3 and all the initial version of v4 up until now has and average of 80 - 100 open cases and sometimes right after a release we would drop down to the high 50's but then in a few days go back up over 80 again.
Now I pretty much have the same setup as I did in V3 with lots of add-ons and looking at the stats/facts my install took 385 hacks/lines in excel and it took me almost a week to install. There was a lot off added plugin and css that had to be adjusted because of dumb issues. Like I said it really took me about a week to install and get the website back up to where I was happy. I complained to phpFox, YouNet and other developers over the past year and even gave them the code and much of it was fixed or bought back in phpFox case.
Now my install takes maybe a day to install and list as dropped from 385 down to about 55. I just contacted a developer yesterday and told him that he had the incorrect variable on a button so it was displaying the wrong phrase and gave him the correct code as I already fix it on my site...another excel line. But he said he would fix it today so that would knock it down to 54.
I know there may be a several options that are no longer available and may be in queue for future release but this version seems pretty good to me and my site looks better than it ever has. So I am confused on exactly what make v3.9 better than this version. Can you give a list because I would really like to know what I am forgetting that I loss and maybe we have to fight to get it back but if we don't know exactly what it is then just saying I am going back to v3.9 does not help you or anyone else. I am not trying to be an idiot or sarcastic to you because if you come here often you would see I will argue with phpfox when stuff is messed up and needs to be fixed and I will get on there case. But I have to say so far this versions seems like the best one so far at least for me :)
TorontoGuy
Well folks.. to all your replies.
I never said at any point that the earlier versions were complete and better than the current version.... only that overall some of them were better in my opinion. In fact I have said my problem with phpfox is they never complete any version.
The real gist of my post was to say that phpfox just doesn't continue on with their scripts... they reach a point, which is incomplete and they quit and move on to annother version...
Quote: " From now, we will have full focus on phpfox4.6 to make our Core script even better"
Maybe I misunderstood something... if this is an expansion of 4.5 and will be a free upgrade to 4.5 then perhaps I misjudge. However I got the impression this was something new primarily designed for smartphones, requiring new licenses... not a continuing upgrade of 4.5
If someone would like to clear this up for me I would certainly be amenable to listening.
Kibcode
In fact I have said my problem with phpfox is they never complete any version.
there is a version 4.5.3 upcoming... in my opinion a script or software never is complete. it just evolves.
Maybe I misunderstood something... if this is an expansion of 4.5 and will be a free upgrade to 4.5 then perhaps I misjudge. However I got the impression this was something new primarily designed for smartphones, requiring new licenses... not a continuing upgrade of 4.5
i did not read anything about charging for an upgrade to v4.6.
Last update on May 4, 2017 by Kibcode.
TorontoGuy
I genuinely appreciate the discussion and feedback I've had on this issue and will seriously consider moving on to V4.5.2 ... and sticking with it.. for a new site I am developing.
I'm glad I stated my opinion, although I do admit I could have been a little less negative in doing so..
Thank you everyone
Terry
JohnJr
Didn't mean to offend...really wanted to know what was missing that was awesome so we can band together and fight for it. Well not really fight for it but the more people the better :)
TorontoGuy
You didn't offend at all... in fact since I am working now with both versions I will compile a list shortly of the differences..
What stands out right up front to me is that with 3.9 there are far more options for themes that don't all look like clones of tumblr or twitter and far more options that were free..
As well:
1. wysiwyg built in and it works perfectly (basic but better than here) The phpfox one doesn't do poetry as it double spaces everything when one attempts to soft break lines
2. More flexible core menu system with V3.9
3. More intuitive functionality for end user rather than just for programmer or website manager
Will create a fuller list as I get used to it..
But you can see the basic differences yourself at:
Version 3.9: http://www.wrnyx.com
Version 4: http://version4.wrnyx.com
Again I'm not really complaining... just observing..
Terry
TorontoGuy
Or if you want you can join that 3.9 site for free and try it out yourself to see what I am talking about from the user end..
See what the user can do to customize their profile... that is a BIG BIG difference
Anyway, again... just letting you know the difference .. not complaining
I do realize that 4.5 is new generation of sites... 3.9 is closer to the older generations...
Terry
TorontoGuy
Sorry folks about the earlier references to wrnyx.com
I've closed the site and am only working on my jtmworld.com V3.9 site...
Just tooooo many problems with V4....
But I'm sure for those who enjoy it V4 is just fine...
Thank you everyone for the discussion and also to the admins for letting this discussion occur.
Terry
JohnJr
You didn't offend at all... in fact since I am working now with both versions I will compile a list shortly of the differences..
What stands out right up front to me is that with 3.9 there are far more options for themes that don't all look like clones of tumblr or twitter and far more options that were free..
As well:
1. wysiwyg built in and it works perfectly (basic but better than here) The phpfox one doesn't do poetry as it double spaces everything when one attempts to soft break lines
2. More flexible core menu system with V3.9
3. More intuitive functionality for end user rather than just for programmer or website manager
Will create a fuller list as I get used to it..
But you can see the basic differences yourself at:
Version 3.9: http://www.wrnyx.com
Version 4: http://version4.wrnyx.com
Again I'm not really complaining... just observing..
Terry
Ok so I can only answer one question since everything else is not specific enough for me to understand.
In regards to issue #1
this is indeed on purpose; enter is supposed to be a paragraph break, and behaves the same way in applications like Word. You can insert line breaks by shift-enter, but it's not encouraged to do that on the web, since text flows differently depending on font size and window size (and OS!).
If you want paragraphs to have less spacing, use CSS to reduce the margin/padding.
Hope that helps...in regards to themes I found the best...I mean the best would be YouNet Clean theme and YouNet Advance menu and some of your own css and your site will not look like the above examples.
JohnJr
Not sure what you mean customized their profile? Do you mean move the block around?
Now if you want them to be able to make the page their own you might want to try out Ultimate Photo Editor V4. That add-on is pretty amazing with all the background stuff you can do. I have this add-on and it is a great add-on. The only thing I do not like and it is not the developers fault as all (foxexperts add-on connects you site with a third party paint type program) but it does show a ad on the right side when it is not in full screen view. Which is ok for most site as they have ads but I do not. But I do understand the developer of the paint type program hope to make something from this awesome product so I don't mind...it is worth it still. But, I cannot say now my site is ad free...no big deal.
If your looking for background images then Profile Background Picker is ok. The user cannot add a image so it will be just theirs as it goes into a group of images where anyone can use them for free or you can attempt to charge. But in reality not many people are going to pay for a background image. You could post a bunch of images and let people download them for free but I would assume that ruin the uniqueness of ones profile as you indicated about being able to custom their own. Also, I am not sure if it was fixed or not but my version did not work with customized URL in PAGES. Not sure if that was fixed after I informed him about a year ago.
But their are two examples to help give the users some control over their profile and I think images are better than being able to move a box to the left or right side.
JohnJr
"Just tooooo many problems with V4...."
Is there just two problems or are you saying lots of problems that you cannot list as their are some here that would try to help.
TorontoGuy
"Just tooooo many problems with V4...."
Is there just two problems or are you saying lots of problems that you cannot list as their are some here that would try to help.
I appreciate all your responses JohnJr.. all I can suggest, is if you really want to know what I'm talking about go to the website jtmworld.com and join for free, use it and see what I'm talking about. I mean even the ability to post to social media is built into the core... not an add on you have to purchase..
I know I'm one who raised the subject, but if I try to tell you how it is different it isn't easy to understand until you go to use it. It is really from the enduser that the difference shows up..
Note that currently EVERYTHING except the theme I am using on site is part of the CORE 3.9 .. no addons..
At any rate thank you everyone for the discussion. In many regards I do understand that this is not fair to the people who are working to so hard to build V4... So if the management would prefer to remove it I do understand.