QueenMother305

As some of you who read my previous post may know my site was down for days and I was frantically searching for the cause. I have a powerful dedicated server with IBM. I did many thing to attempt to bring it back online even doubling my ram but to no avail it would not allow me to do so. 

After several days of panic and screaming on the phone at IBM techs who gave me wrong diagnosis after wrong diagnosis they finally escalated my issue to an expert who found the culprit in under an hour. There was a massive error log file created by phpfox. I am a designer/promoter... not a tech person, so I do not know much about what these things mean, but I decided to post IBM's replies so hopefull you guys will know what it means and hopefully phpfox (my favorite software in the world) can find a solution because I remember this happening to me before many years ago, even on a different server using a different version of phpfox.

It seems phpfox constantly spits out line after line of an erro, filling up the error log on the server to a massive 14 gigs! Here are the specifics I was given from IBM...

------------------------------------------------------- ------------------

"Hello,

You should find the issue is resolved now. The issue with the websites not loading was MySQL was not starting. MySQL was not starting because /var was completely full. /var was completely full because your MySQL error log file, /var/lib/mysql/server.[domain censored for privacy].com.err was 14GB in size. 

To solve this problem I copied the error log file to /home/server.[domain censored for privacy].com.err, and then emptied out the file in /var/lib/mysql/server.[domain censored for privacy].com.err. After this I was able to start MySQL with no issues.

Seeing as how this issue appears to be resolved, I am setting this ticket to auto-close in seven days time. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you for choosing IBM Cloud

Colin T
Customer Support Technician
ibm.com/cloud

------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------

Lana,

Thanks for speaking with me today Lana, and I'm very happy to see that things are working for you now. I wanted to add to Colin's update here with some additional notes. This is what was found inside of the error log that ended up being so large:

2018-07-31 09:50:03 7564 [ERROR] /usr/sbin/mysqld: Table './[domain censored for privacy]/phpfox_log_session' is marked as crashed and should be repaired
2018-07-31 09:50:03 7564 [ERROR] /usr/sbin/mysqld: Table './[domain censored for privacy]/phpfox_log_session' is marked as crashed and should be repaired

Essentially, it was just line after line of the error above. The table that was crashed was the "phpfox_log_session" table. While the cause of the crash isn't known, you might be able to get with the folks at PHPFox and see if they've run into that table crashing before.

As I mentioned on the phone, we were more than happy to help you on this and if you need assistance with anything else, please feel free to reach out to us.

--

Thank you,
Bobby B.
Manager, Customer Support
IBM Cloud"

------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------

I hope this helps anyone else who may have had this problem. I also hope this info helps phpfox move forward into being the best script it possibly can be. I am interested in hearing feedback from you all on this issue and potential long term solutions for this issue as well.

Be the first person to like this.