My members are using their mobile phones more and more and I wont let them upload anything over 500k because it will take up tooo much hard drive space on my server. They are getting frustrated and want to upload from their phones.

Has anyone come up with some type of compression so a member can upload a 3 or 4 meg photo and it compresses on the site to small file size? 

Topics: #image
Be the first person to like this.
spirog

my only question that im nt sure about how do you define the width and height ? 600x600 600/600 ??

spirog

Capture.JPG

Attachments
Capture.JPG 57.22 Kb . 99 Views
spirog

thhe settings in photos works in 4.6.1.b6 phpfox photo app 4.6.4

the image you upload still shows the original MB in photos, but when you download it its totally ok  

example i uploaded a photo that was 1.09MB and had changed settings to 480 from 1200 

then i downloaded that photo that was resized to 480x233 and it shows only 100KB when i download it NOT 1.09MB

so i would assume its working just the original info gets input to website showing wrong MB - KB

see photo of my upload 

Capture.JPG

Attachments
Capture.JPG 79.33 Kb . 85 Views
Last update on September 5, 2018 by spirog.

ok man awesome, ill try now, maybe im just stupid, lol

mine was already on 400

ok whoa. Pic says its 2.3 meg on the site. I downloaded it and it was 24 kb   which is it?

spirog

ok here is one at 3.25MB uploaded from my phone and after 480 setting its only 62KB but shows 3.25mb

Capture.JPG

Attachments
Capture.JPG 107.07 Kb . 97 Views
spirog

ok whoa. Pic says its 2.3 meg on the site. I downloaded it and it was 24 kb   which is it?

24 kb go to your last updated photo in your public_html/PF.Base/file/pic/photo/2018/09

look at all the photos all KB so it works

i went to look but i have to reupload the pic as i deleted it

ok yea it has like 5 images from it, all super small, not the size it says on the website, awesome

JohnJr

Sorry, Spirog...if I understand what your saying the set sizes available is not the way to go.  Right now someone can upload a 24mg or a 4 meg, and it will be reduced to the size width stated in the setting.  Whether I want 1600 or you want 480, will depend on what your server can handle.  Making standard sizes don't sound right to me.  Maybe you can explain your reasoning why you need more than one size limit for the original file as phpfox makes all the other sizes for the different areas including for add-ons.

spirog

we can set the other sizes for downloads unless since you say they make the other sizes allow to download iun a dropown list all the sizes

if I make this script just a photo site, I want to allow my sers to download them in different formats

like wallpaper size or cover phgoto size etc.. we can specify what sizes we allow for them to download ? so make 3 or 4 fields we can add the sizes. we can only add 1 size like now, but that limits to 1 size only, if we want 2 sizes so users can download 2 sizes, or even the original size uploaded user can download that size

Last update on September 6, 2018 by spirog.
JohnJr

My limited understand helping others solve image issues is that phpfox make a specific image for specific areas.

1024, 500, 240, 200, 150, 120, 100, 75, 50 and there might be more.  What this setting does is give you the minimum width you want to store on your site for your original image.  Back about two years ago, I was setting up a CDN on my server...dumb I know, but I have a free 2000 gig extra hard drive on my server, so I said what the heck.  Then I noticed all these huge images on my site as well as they were being stored on the CDN and my regular phpfox folder...so that made it twice as bad since both places were on the same server.  This setting for my understand was so anyone could upload an image, whether you have a 24mg smartphone to a 4 meg camera without worrying whether their picture is too big for the upload.  So in this case, both original images will be reduced down to 1200 pixels width.  Now, of course, one may be reduced down to .25meg, and the other might be 1.2 meg...but either case...now I don't have all these huge original files sucking up space on my server.  Also, they did add a setting for cdn now that you can keep the original on the server so now you also don't store 2 original images being stored.

Remember you also need to adjust your php file to accept upload_max_size and post_max_size as well is very important as a user here was having issues uploading videos...both need to be adjusted to your needs.

Last update on September 6, 2018 by JohnJr.