Store Community Support Documentation
Paris

ATM phpfox is way too bloated.

It is slow as heck. SO heavy right out of the box. It's basrely able to work fine on a mobile web browser.

There must be a halt to everything and start working on speed. There are way too many files, css, js, and to make it usable requires a lot of powerful systems, setups and caching. Yet still not fast enough after all that.

If phpfox don't concentrate on speed, in about exactl 2 years phpfox will be a thing of the past.

You got competition from crea8social, wow-wonder and a ton others who are about 25-10x's faster.

Please work on the speed. YOu got a good script, but the speed makes it so "unusable". What good is a script if each feature "module" you add slows it down by 10%?

So I am being honest here. I want to launch so bad but this kind of speed is just not hitting it. I run crea8social, wow wonder , flat script and a few other sites that are so blazing fast, it puts phpfox to shame on the speed scale.

My wow wonder site's feed is so fast you can't even feel the load time. It's instant. SO is my crea8social.  The

biggest drawback is they don't have much features yet. But they are getting there. You gotta work on speed or on 2 years you will be a thing of the past. Wow Wonder jsut added groups, pages, and tons of features. It's gonna be big soon. Its fast as hell too. INSTANT feed. They rock on a 1 core vps.

Maybe I said too much but my phpfox site is sitting on a dedicated 8 core with 64 gb ram and super fast ssd with varnish, memcache, opcache, brotli, and the entire possible way to speed it up. Not moving good at all like other scripts.

I don't wanna sound so negative but I'm stuck. PHPFOX is SLOW and to top it off, the CORE lifeline ADvanced feed is broken. Slow, has issues on mobile web browsers and nothing in the ync library is Lightweight. It's all heavy.

Last update on June 5, 8:22 am by Paris.
Paul Kellow

Hi Paris,

Thank you for your feedback. I totally agree that speed and performance is one of the most important factors for any social network sites. Indeed, we always proceed testing performance of our releases to make sure they meet our expectations. You can refer to the official blog for more details about our performance test: https://www.phpfox.com/blog/2018/performance-enhancement-in-phpfox-4-7-0/

In summary, With a single standard server setup (4 CPU cores, 16G RAM, 250G SSD storage), phpFox can handle pretty well with 10k members with the concurrency level of 5%

According to our 2019 plan, we are going to implement new phpFox version with Mobiel First Design by embracing the latest Front-end technology. Speed will also be mainly focused to bring users better mobile experience.

For details of our 2019 plan, you can read our official blog at https://www.phpfox.com/blog/2019/phpfox-2019-plan/

Back to your problem with performance, I assume that your site is growing fast. With a big online community, you may need to have multiple servers to handle the load for application servers and database servers. With our test for a real network, we can manage to handle a phpFox community with 10M members with 20x server resources of the above standard single server setup. In this case, we recommend you to reach out to experts for good advice and help.

One issue that can impact site speed is to use too many unnecessary apps. The more apps are installed, the more server resources are consumed. You should optimize or reduce the number of apps installed on your site. You should also test how the site loads with and without apps enabled.

The new phpfox has always been slow and this has been echoed many times over the years. By comparison take a look plenty of fish and keep in mind that this is tech from 2008 and has had significant improvements since then,. https://blog.codinghorror.com/my-scaling-hero/

Paris

That is exactly the problem with phpfox. It requires TOO MUCH POWER AND EFFORTS to run ok. It's design is faulty on apps. Huge weight. Apps add tons of js, css and etc. The feed is in need of improvement. It's slow, only works after fully loaded. Runs ultra slow on mobile web browsers and small laptops. Big issue.

Point is You are asking clients to run a barebones setup with no apps for optimal speed? That's not the best answer imo. Yeah even barebones phpfox is slower than it's competitors by #x's.

Point is The features are the app's. Phpfox default features are incomplete. Take for example the feed. It has no filters, no feelings or anything. Other modern scripts already have it all.  We are forced to use the terrible available slow feed app "not hating on YNC or fe" for those features or in my case abandon them. Both Too slow and have compatibility issues with other apps.

The issue I am pointing out is that each app added destroys the scripts speed by loading Non combined css files. Autoload.css per app. Even with performance turned on it does not combine the files. 15 apps calls 15 auto css.

Important things.

1. Improve feed mechanism. Allow it to work prior to load completion. Atm we can't do nothing until page is done loading. I get complaints about this.

2.What I am asking is for a rethink on apps and design a better system to make apps "faster". Combine all the auto css files. Cache it at visitor page. I don't know. The speed on mobile web responsiveness is horrible too and on smaller laptops.

Anyways I'm sharing REAL use issues with you. Hope things improve. Your tests are not realistic. The devices and usage by people demand more and totally give an uglier result. Take for example how many folks will wait for entire feed to load? They are already clicking and scrolling. Now they are noticing delays and unreliable menu toggling. It's so bad sometimes I have to limit to 1 or 2 posts. That's unacceptable.

Modern scripts are pumping out 10 posts like nothing. No effort. Phpfox struggles.

Please improve #1 & #2. It's really ugly.

Many other examples but too much to list.

Hope to see improvement in future.

Last update on June 6, 8:23 am by Paris.
Paris

The new phpfox has always been slow and this has been echoed many times over the years. By comparison take a look plenty of fish and keep in mind that this is tech from 2008 and has had significant improvements since then,. https://blog.codinghorror.com/my-scaling-hero/

I'm shocked by the speed. It's so slow compared to my other sites that use other brand. Those brands are spitting out feeds by the dozens without breaking a sweat on a 1 core vps.

This test site using phpfox of mine is on a dedicated beast machine and it's slow. Not even touching 5% of the cpu or memory. It's just not fast and it seems like the machine has nothing to do with it as it appears to perform nearly identical. It runs no better on 2core, 4core or even silly shared. It's as if it's as fast as it is. Not could be based on hardware at all. Note: got cloudflare, cdn, varnish, redis, memcache, nginx, and extra techniques to speed it up. I'm still seeing just minimal improvement. Barebones phpfox It's ok. Apps. Nothing can fix it. Run 0 apps is the solution it seem which would defeat the whole point of having apps.

Last update on June 6, 8:46 am by Paris.