Store Community Support Documentation
metro

Can somebody else validate that Custom Fields are not showing up in global search even though the field is set to be searched?

This is on 4.7.9 latest.

Dear,

We supported to search by Custom fields on [Search member] only. pls refer screenshot https://prnt.sc/qknyvb
Btw, we did not support user can search custom fields on the Global search. On the Global search section, you can search by App item name and user name only.

Regards,

Last update on January 8, 9:29 am by Hannah.
JohnJr

Guess that clears that up :)

metro

So why call it "global search"...  Thats like a lady saying that she is HALF PREGNANT...  In v3 - last decade, we gave up on phpFox because of "working as designed" I guess in v4 it got elevated :smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley: ...  Just to clarify, "global search" means search name only?????

metro

Global search is totally flawed if "about" can not be searched.  Yuck!!!!

JohnJr

I am going into the Phrase Manager and change it to Partial Global Search :)

Dear  metro,

Could you show me where you can see the phrase [Global search]? Please provide us the screenshot to make sure that we understand your feedback correctly.

In our screenshot, when creating a custom field, you can see the phrase [Include on Search User] instead of [Global search] as you mentioned: https://prnt.sc/ql5kyl ;

Regards

JohnJr

Sorry Hannah,

I was just goofing off being an idiot.  I am pretty sure in the old days there was only one search, so it was referred as a global search.  :)

JohnJr

Oh...I did find this though.

JohnJr

and this...

Oh...I did find this though.

>>> This setting allow to turn on/off global search tool. It did not relate to search with a custom field. Mean that if you turn off this option, the users will not see the search bar.

The global search tool is the search bar displaying at the top of every page.

Regards

metro

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.... Sorry... HAHAHAHAHAHA... So Global Search, is not Global Search?  ooooopppsss HAHAHAHAHAHA... Thank you for making me laugh.  I needed it.  Why call search bar - global search.... wait....one second.... HHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHa.... lordie lordie....

>>> This setting allow to turn on/off global search tool. It did not relate to search with a custom field. Mean that if you turn off this option, the users will not see the search bar.

The global search tool is the search bar displaying at the top of every page.

Regards

metro

Seriously though.... Can you explain what this means when creating a custom field?

"Include on Search User"

metro

I know right....I just renamed it to "half donkey :smiley::smiley::smiley:global search"

I am going into the Phrase Manager and change it to Partial Global Search :)

Dear, 

We called [Global search] to distingue with the Search section on each module/app.

In the Global search, you can search for all the item names that came from all apps and you can search for user names also.

In the search section on a specific app, you can search for the data on this app only.

Best regards,

JohnJr

That is fine and dandy :) but the global search should include custom text fields.  Say you set up a custom field to input a school name, hobby, club, a political party (LOL) and you want to have the ability so other people can find other people with that custom field.  Otherwise, that custom field is just a visual thing that only the people who know your profile will see and they probably already know your school name, hobby, club or political party (LOL again).