This seems like a common sense privacy/user content feature but apparently wasn't thought of.

Currently, any videos or photos a user shared to their personal feed/wall, shows up in the photos or video app. This is not correct. They should not appear in these apps unless a user chooses to put them there. Regardless of privacy settings, this is broadcasting user content into a main app on the site that all users have access to at any time, without actually visiting a specific users profile to see their content. I can't imagine where any users would want this to happen in a normal social media setting.

The photos and videos on a user feed should NOT be displayed in the main video app. The video app should be used to bring video content to the site from other sources, not user profiles. The video app should allow uploading or sharing by user if they choose to do so separately, outside of their profile as well as allow feeding content from other sources such as youtube, vimeo etc...

In AdminCP, There are settings that can enable/disable photos and videos from pages/groups to be displayed in the video app, there should be a similar setting to enable/disable photos and videos from user feeds to be displayed in video app. Users may want their content open to the community on their wall, but not broadcasted in the video app.

THIS IS COMMON SENSE AND FUNDAMENTAL FEATURE. Without this feature you are taking away BASIC privacy features from the user.

Current settings in adminCP:

Display videos which created in Group to the All Videos page at the Video app
Display videos which created in Page to the All Videos page at the Video app

Proposed additional setting:

Display photos which created in USER FEED to the All photos page at the photo app (enable/disable)

Display videos which created in USER FEED to the All Videos page at the Video app (enable/disable)

Last update on February 27, 2020 by Dennis Turskey.
Be the first person to like this.
Hannah

Hi Dennis Turskey,

Thank you for your suggestion. Your suggestion will be taken into consideration seriously in our future upgrades.

Thank you for your time and have a great day.

Hannah

100% agree, this is a major privacy problem that can discourage the members to share on their wall.

CymonSez

I beleive this is already a feature

Display User Timeline Photos within Gallery
Disable this feature if you do not want to display user timeline photos within the photo gallery.

its the setting right below the current settings you quoted above in the Photos app

I could be wrong but i think thats how it works but haven ttried as I dont have a live site right this second(still going thru all the setup process)

I DO NOT see that same setting for the Video app

I beleive this is already a feature

Display User Timeline Photos within Gallery
Disable this feature if you do not want to display user timeline photos within the photo gallery.

its the setting right below the current settings you quoted above in the Photos app

I could be wrong but i think thats how it works but haven ttried as I dont have a live site right this second(still going thru all the setup process)

I DO NOT see that same setting for the Video app

Thanks for the input, unfortunately, that's not how that setting works. The settings is to display user timeline photos within the photos app on the user profile and in the main photos app.

Example:

Setting enabled: When user posts profile photo or photo to timeline, it creates an album called "timeline photos" which can be accessed via the user profile and choosing "photos" from the user profile menu. The same photos also appear by going into the main photo app index (from main menu for example). So their photos can be accessed outside of their user profile. The main photo app holds all photos, site wide.

Setting disabled: When user posts profile photo or photo to timeline, the timeline photo is not added to either section of the photos app. You cannot view them on user profile or in main photo app. However, all user profile and cover photos are STILL added to the main photo app, accessible outside of the user profile. The main photo app holds all photos, site wide. Disabling this setting only disables the creation of the timeline photos album and storing of timeline photos. It does not stop photos from being accessed through the main photos app, outside of the user profile.

Try it out. I believe this behavior is suitable for maybe a photography website or something like that but it is not suitable for standard social media. No one wants their photos accesible outside of their profile. Even if they are public, why broadcast them to the whole site? Doesn't make sense.

Last update on April 13, 2020 by Dennis Turskey.