Store Community Support Documentation

I need to make few changes in the functionality and UI. I can see the element in "Inspect Element" screen but finally where I need to make the changes ? Is there anybody who can explain the structure of files/folders so that I can locate the exact php page to be modified ? 

Be the first person to like this.
JohnJr

So probably the easiest way to solve simple issues is to use the inspect element and if it is a CSS issue, you can change the CSS in the inspect element platform.  Changing CSS here does not affect your site as all and if you make a mistake you can just refresh the screen and the original CSS is reloaded.  Once you find the area you want to change you can then copy that CSS class (I remove the CSS in that class that I didn't change as there is no sense in processing the same CSS for a second time).  Then you can paste that new CSS in the CSS editor at the bottom and clear the cache.

Now if you are attempting to change the code then when you're in the inspect element you find a class or a div id as close to the area as possible you want to change and then you do a find/search in the file system and look where the file is located.  If you're on a blog page then you would check out the files that are in the blog folder first before checking out other files.  If the code looks really confusing and your not sure if that code is the correct area you can copy that area and paste it in notepad and then delete that area and do a refresh cache and if the spot on your site is still there then you know it is in a different file.  Either hit undo or paste the original code back and upload it back to your server.

Any code you do change you should make three copies.  The first copy I add _ORG at the end of the file so if the area I changed affects somewhere else I can go back to the original file at any time.  The second copy I add _CODE at the end of the file which is just a copy of the new change.  I save this in case I come back a second time and change something else and it happens to be in the same file and while I am doing that change I need to go back to not the original but my original code fix.  That last file would be the file with the fixes that you upload to your server.

I write down everything I did including what file and what was changed.  I also write down where it is located on the page and why I change it as well.  The reason I do this is that if phpfox does an upgrade that my change is no longer needed I can go back and remove the stuff I added.  Also, any upgrades I will use my excel file to go back and add the changes back.  Phpfox has been really good listed the files that were changed so you can use that to see if the file you changed has been upgraded.

I hope this helps.

Now thats epic !! I never expected such a detailed answer here :). Thanks my dear.

I am pasting the inspect element code here. Can you tell me what shoudl I search on cpanel to find the original code file ? and what exactl;y I shoudl search ?

KIndly check the encloased snapshot.

I need to change the width in this line of code :

<ul class="nav nav-tabs pull-left" style="    padding: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px; padding-bottom: 0px; width: 56%;">

Attachments
JohnJr

I use Plesk on my server but I zip the three folders down PF.Base, PF.Site and PF.Src and use Dreamweaver.  The reason I use that is that it has an undo button.  You can undo like 20 steps back, which does help if you are trying to get an if statement to work correctly.  But, on Plesk, there is no undo so you better back up your original file first.  Also, I don't think Plesk has searchability.  I don't know if Cpanel has the ability to search within files.

For searching, you want to find something unique  You could search for 56% which is more unique than say 100% and in my search, it came up 11 times.  So that isn't bad at all.  Then I would first pick a folder of one of them that looks like it would be in.  So if you knew it was for blogs and you see a blog folder then I would start there first.  Go to each spot and change 56% to 10% or to 100%.  Something that you will notice on the screen immediately (don't forget to clear the cache first or sometimes rebuild core theme).  Then if it changes you found the right file.

Other things you can search for in this example would be these since it looks like your doing something with YouNet Advanced Search which I don't think exist.

js_builders_adv_search_wrapper
js_ync_adv_search_wrapper1
ync-advance-search-form1

Remember to write everything done because you are changing the code and it will be erased on updates or reinstalls.  If this CSS was not part of the code you could have pasted it in the CSS Editor and upgrades do not affect that area.

Good Luck

JohnJr

Thanks my dear.

Thanks my dear.

JohnJr

I like it when you say "my dear" :)

:) Lets connect on skype. My id is brokersadda.

Lolzz :) I appreciate any helping hand .....

JohnJr

Sorry, I don't skype or any web cameras.  It is a computer guy thing and knowing my server gets attempted logins thousands of times a day.  You can private message me here if you have any issues and hopefully, I can direct you in the right direction as I am still learning new stuff here every day.

Great !. Just let me know few things about phpfox. What technologies I should learn ( I stopped coding long time back ) to manage phpfox ? Are they using any php framework in the backend ?

JohnJr

I was in the same situation.  I just find the piece of code that is affecting the area (sometimes I just delete the whole piece of code and check the site to make sure I am messing around in the right area.  Then I throw in an if statement or find another piece of code within phpfox that does what I want and throw it in there.  Remember,  anything you do will be erased during upgrades, so write it all down.  Maybe one of the developers will give more specifics.

https://docs.phpfox.com/display/FOX4DEVDOC/Getting+Started