Store Community Support Documentation

I need to do some customisation on my phpfox based site  and doing development on local machine is required. How can I install the site on my mac local machine ? I have installed xampp.

Be the first person to like this.
JohnJr
#1

I do mine by having a second site which is allowed if you use a subdomain called "development.yourdomain.com" that way you can use dreamweaver or an app like that to change the code upload it to your server and see what it really looks like live.  If it works on your development site then I upload the changes to my regular site.  This way I can quickly check say a CSS change on multiple browser quickly.

Be the first person to like this.
#2

That I tried. I copied the live site to a sub domain and also copied database for use with sub-domain. But all the links of sub-domain are pointing to the original site. What changes I need to make for this arrangements ? Can you share the snapshot of your settings ?

 

Be the first person to like this.
JohnJr
#3

Mine were there own install fresh so I knew I didn't miss anything.  But I have copied my original site to my developer site.  I only recommend that way since you are copying your original site so that install will always be correct since it was a fresh install.

It has been a while but I know I did download the database into a SQL export.  Then I opened it in notepad (I made an extra copy of these export so I did have to start all over if I goofed it up).  Then I did a find and replace for "mydomain.com" to replace with "developer.mydomain.com".  Then I went into my copied database on my server and selected all the tables (first I made an extra copy of that as well) and deleted all the tables and then imported my new SQL file with the new development domain.

Then I think I zipped the phpfox files and downloaded it to my computer and unzipped them.  Open Dreamweaver and did a find and replace like above.  Not sure if that is still needed because in the old days, there were a few areas where your domain was written write into the code.  Not sure if that is still the case.  Anyways after all the find and replace stuff (find mydomain.com replace with development.mydomain.com) then I zipped the file (first went I moved all my current files on my server under my domain and moved them to a Backup File in case something went wrong) then I uploaded the zip file and extract the new developmen domain files.

If you can't connect to the database there is a settings file but I am not going to list it here.  If you need it PM me.

Last update on July 4, 1:37 pm by JohnJr.
Be the first person to like this.
JohnJr
#4

Sent.  Good luck!

Be the first person to like this.