Can someone please help me stop this spammer who keeps emailing all the members of my site. My site is new, invitation only and only has 3 real members who are friends. I can't figure out how they get the emails of the new members. Some members I created also got emailed.

I have deleted and changed all my emails from cpanel and they are still able to send emails.  

Anyone know how I can stop this spammer from sending emails?

Be the first person to like this.
JohnJr

Just a quick question.  Does the text in the email say "Kind Regards,"

Yes. See attached

Rune

I have had the same problem every time I have had support from an app "developer" as well as from PHPFOX support. All app "developers" will have access to cpanel to "fix" the bug. Once they have access to Cpanel, they can download the entire member database. PHPFOX has not stopped this possibility, so staff and app developers can steal member data if they want this without any problem.

Had some help from PHPFOX Support a few weeks ago, after this, all the members have been overrun by mass SPAM emails.
PHPFOX also had access to FTP, after they finished the job, files were left on the server. Example "dbadmin.php" This has been a problem before and it continues.

Last update on October 20, 2020 by Rune.
Hannah

Hi riker1981,

We guess that spamming emails were sent from the Contact us form.  Could you please try to turn on captcha on the contact form and monitor this issue?

To turn on the captcha, please go to AdminCP > Apps > Installed>Contact > Settings > then turn on the setting [Enable Captcha for Contact]

https://prnt.sc/v2xrfv

Regards,

Thanks for the suggestions. Using the contact form still doesn't explain how they got all the member emails. How ever,  I appreciate all the suggestions 

spirog

sorry just saw  you said = cPanel so your running centos with cPanel .. ok 

I'm not sure how this is happening but are you saying your friends are getting spam to the emails they signed up with on your site ?

what version of phpfox u running?

I created an app ( i made it free 2 weeks ago) you can block the usegroup guest from accessing the contact us page. even if you hide the link if they know yoursite.com/contactus that will take them to the form, this way with this app, they get a message you cannot access this page and they return to main page.. i don;t have my site available for registered users and have not 1 spam from anyone? thank god.. 

so thats why I am asking what version you are using of phpfox and what type of server you have cetnos ubuntu etc.

i use cetnos 7cPanel and 4.8.1 phpfox and i use this app I created and I don't get any spam to my email of the site..

SO I can maybe do a few checks as well to see if there is a file that is viewable on our site that maybe a bug in latest phpfox where spammers can view the users emails?  not saying that its happening 

So did your frienda get spam to there personal emails they signup with on your site ?

thanks and sorry to here but maybe we can all find the issue and a solution to stop that 

Spiro

Can someone please help me stop this spammer who keeps emailing all the members of my site. My site is new, invitation only and only has 3 real members who are friends. I can't figure out how they get the emails of the new members. Some members I created also got emailed.

I have deleted and changed all my emails from cpanel and they are still able to send emails.  

Anyone know how I can stop this spammer from sending emails?

PS this email says Sales in Subject seems like it might of came from your contact form. but not sure how your friends emails and other usaers you made got them too.... ?

Last update on October 29, 2020 by spirog.
spirog

PS do all the emails that get spammed go to your users@yourdomain.com 

or do they use there own email

example 1 user has name@gmail.com

the other user has name1@yahoo.com

and your phpfox email is name@yourdomain.com

wondering if its your server getting bombarded with spam if all the users emails are

user1@yourdomain.com 

user2@yourdomain.com 

user3@yourdomain.com 

hope you understand what im saying

Last update on October 29, 2020 by spirog.
spirog

@riker1981 

forgot to ask do you haveany apps your purchased from third party and have them installed ?

if so try to turn them off and see if you get emails? 

did you change you password on cPanel as well ?

Rune

@riker1981 

forgot to ask do you haveany apps your purchased from third party and have them installed ?

if so try to turn them off and see if you get emails? 

did you change you password on cPanel as well ?

This is the problem!

- You Buy apps from third parties
- It's Bugg in apps (Completely normal)
- Needs developer support
- Developer asks for access to FTP / AdminCp
- Developer downloads the member database from AdminCP
- The developer now has all member information and therefore has the opportunity to send out SPAM to all members from different email addresses.

Website admin has no ability to prevent staff or developer from downloading the member database.