Bill Kochman

Over the past day, whenever I click on someone's name to send them an IM, I receive the following error message:

"Unable to connect to the IM server."

I thought that perhaps the person needs to be onilne in order for it to work. However, even when I click on the name of someone who is online, I am still getitng the same error message. So what is going on?

Also, I was told previously that my phpFox installation is self-contained, and that it does not rely on anything that is located on phpFox's servers. This error message seems to suggest the opposite.

Be the first person to like this.
Bill Kochman

Okay, I just went into the Instant Messaging app and discovered this:

Attachments
IM-Hosting-Package.png 40.77 Kb . 88 Views
Bill Kochman

So, does this mean that while the Instant Messaging app is included with phpFox 4.8.2, there is actually an additional cost to use it in my phpFox installation?

Exactly how would I host it myself?

Is this the same thing as the ChatPlus, or is that something different?

Bill Kochman

Okay, setting up that Node JS Server seems a bit complicated, so I just went ahead and started the $5/month subscription to use your phpFox IM service instead.

However, when I go to the Instant Messaging app, it is STILL saying that my package is expired, and asking me to pay $5, when I ALREADY did that.

So what am I doing wrong?

Is there still something I need to set up on that first page where it says "Settings" in order for IM to work properly? If so, what do I need to do on the "Settings" page?

Bill Kochman

Hello John. Well, I don't know what is going on, but when I went to bed a number of hours ago, it was not working, and I had that red banner saying that I had to pay the $5/month, even though I had ALREADY paid for the monthly subscription.

Now, however, without me doing anything, I wake up to discover that the red banner is gone, and there is now a green banner which says:

"phpFox IM hosting: 100 active connections. Status: On."

So, I don't know if it just took time for it to kick in, or if maybe they had to activate something on their end.

So does this mean that I don't need to worry about configuring the Node JS Server? In other words, with the $5/month subscription, they take care of that on their end, right?

Another question: Does that "100 active connections" mean that there can be a maximum of 100 people using instant messaging at any one time, or does it mean something else?

On the bottom of the home page, there is a chat window which pops up when you click on it, and to the right of that, there is also a small pencil icon. So, two more questions:

1. If I click on someone's name in the "Contacts" list on the right side of my web browser window, it opens a chat window on the bottom of my screen. Is this Chat Plus, or is Chat Plus a more enhanced version of this chat window? If it is Chat Plus, I am a little confused, because my understanding is that Chat Plus costs $1000, which I obviously cannot afford. Or are they just giving me a demo of Chat Plus to try to entice me to purchase it? :)

2. As I said, next to the chat window, there is a small pencil icon. I am assuming that this is the actual Instant Messaging that I am paying $5/month for, or am I mistaken?

I apologize for so many questions, but it is a bit confusing for a newbie Admin like me. Thank you for taking the time to patiently answer my questions. I appreciate it.

JohnJr

I am very sorry, but I will be useless on IM as I don't currently use it and never set it up.  I am cheap according to my wife.

Bill Kochman

Okay, let me ask you the following then. I am just trying to understand what is what here.

1. Assuming that you view your website in a web browser on a desktop computer, on the web page, do you have a list of your members under a heading called "CONTACTS" on the far right side of the page?

I thought that the purpose of this members list was so that I could quickly go to a member's page. However, as it turns out, when I click on a name, it opens a chat window in the lower right corner of the window, just like Facebook.

I am trying to understand if this is what they refer to as Chat Plus, or if Chat Plus is this, but with even more features.

2. Do you also have the chat window in the bottom right corner of your screen? If so, then I guess it is not the same as Chat Plus, because you already said that you are cheap. Don't worry. So am I. :)

For days, when I would open that chat window, it would just have a continuously spinning progress wheel. Now that I paid the $5/month subscription, it seems to actually do something, and I can send messages with it, although no one has responded to any of my messages yet,. So I am still not sure if it is working properly or not.

3. Do you have the Instant Messaging  pencil icon in the lower right corner of your screen? Or is that what I am paying the $5/month for?

JohnJr

1.  I do not have instant messages app installed so I don't see the contact page.  I have a members menu that does show icons of member which direct them to their page.  The contact page you indicated I think is for the Instant messaging.  I am pretty sure Chat Plus is way more stuff than just a message (https://www.phpfox.com/chatplus/) and it cost a lot more because of it.  Plus the instant messaging app is free (besides the IMserver which you have found out isn't that bad.   But the chatplus cost $999 according to their page today.

2. No, do not have the app.

3. No, but you are probably right in regards to the icon.

I told you I was useless in regards to IM stuff :)

Bill Kochman

Well, John, I may have the Contacts list on the right side of my web browser screen, as well as the chat window on the bototm of my screen, and the Instant Messages pencil icon next to that, but unless people are just intentionally ignoring my test messages -- which I highly doubt, none of these features are currently working for me for some reason. The script says that my messages are being sent, but nobody is responding, and it is not like any of them would do that. We've all been friends for years. You know, I paid all of these hundreds of dollars for this script, plus the Facebook Clone theme, and I feel more and more like I am just testing beta software. This is not the polished software that I was expecting for such a high price. There have been glitches all over the place, beginning with the fact that I had to install the script at the top level of my document root, for it to even work properly. :(

JohnJr

Sorry about all your issues...been there...still there.  I know phpfox and most developers here look at me as the complainer and probably would kick me in the knee if they had chance :) but honestly facebook development took millions of dollars and thousands of coders to keep it up.  Phpfox has always had about a dozen employees in the past and the current division is probably about the same so you can join the group of us that are annoying the crap out of them to make their product better for their own good :)

Their has been lots of improvement over the past several years...

If no one responds on your IM you can PM me log in creditials as a regular user and attempt to respond.  I think spirog will vouch for me as I help him a few times until he got way smarter than me because I am old.

Kidd wicked

Well just an FYI. I just installed IM on my 4.8.2 and It worked without any issues. Actually it worked on the first try. Actually I havent really had any issues with this software. I installed IM using google firebase and algolia.

The 2 issues I had with this software were setting up my offsite storage aws s3. Which I found a resent post on here that stated the s3 app was no longer needed with 4.8.2. And I have yet to locate the file I need to install the captcha keys into. but I am still looking 

I believe my lack of issues are due to me using phpfox hosting service and they installed the software on their server for me. I was actually all ready to install it and the tech said the had done it. 

I am not using the facebook clone theme. but I dont think that would cause the chat issue. I tested my chat by using my cellphone and my computer. I just logged in with 2 different accounts and at first there was a slight lag but then it cleared up. But like I said, I really havent seen issues. Really like what I have seen from this software. 

metro

I can attest to this.... JohnJr is older than dirt and amongst the few left who can, or are willing to help you without having to pay phpFox for support to fix their short comings. 

If no one responds on your IM you can PM me log in creditials as a regular user and attempt to respond.  I think spirog will vouch for me as I help him a few times until he got way smarter than me because I am old.

Last update on November 13, 2020 by metro.
JohnJr

Come on Metro...older than dirt.  LOL

I feel bad that I never used IM app so I have no clue.

Last update on November 14, 2020 by JohnJr.
Bill Kochman

Sorry about all your issues...been there...still there.  I know phpfox and most developers here look at me as the complainer and probably would kick me in the knee if they had chance :) but honestly facebook development took millions of dollars and thousands of coders to keep it up.  Phpfox has always had about a dozen employees in the past and the current division is probably about the same so you can join the group of us that are annoying the crap out of them to make their product better for their own good :)

Their has been lots of improvement over the past several years...

Hello John. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. My friend, if you are viewed as a complainer here, simply because you expect to get what you paid for -- it's called honoring honest, American business practices (which, sadly, now seems to be a thing of the past) -- then I imagine that some folks here may view me as the Chief Complainer who even outdoes you, because I will not let up until I stop feeling like I have purchased nothing more than an expensive piece of buggy, beta software which obviously was NOT very well tested on a Macintosh computer. The fact that they didn't even know that I had to install their script at the document root level of my web server setup, and NOT in a subfolder, clearly demonstrates this point to me. Two weeks of frustration, and I had to figure it out on my own. SMH.

On the positive side, it seems that at the very least, the private chat window is now working properly. Not only have a few people replied to my chat messages, but I also followed Karl's suggestion and logged in on a separate account on my iPhone using Firefox, and sent a private chat message to my Admin account on my iMac. The messages went through in both directions.

The instant messaging is another issue. Because there are no mobile apps for my site yet -- and there won't be until I have a substantial number of users, and until all bugs are worked out to my satisfaction -- I can't even find the Instant Messaging icon on my iPhone. The screen in Firefox is a jumbled mess.

As far as you being old, well, I am not exactly a spring chicken either. I am in my late sixties ... so I can get away with being grouchy, grumpy and demanding my money's worth with this script. :P  :)

Bill Kochman

Well just an FYI. I just installed IM on my 4.8.2 and It worked without any issues. Actually it worked on the first try. Actually I havent really had any issues with this software. I installed IM using google firebase and algolia.

The 2 issues I had with this software were setting up my offsite storage aws s3. Which I found a resent post on here that stated the s3 app was no longer needed with 4.8.2. And I have yet to locate the file I need to install the captcha keys into. but I am still looking 

I believe my lack of issues are due to me using phpfox hosting service and they installed the software on their server for me. I was actually all ready to install it and the tech said the had done it. 

I am not using the facebook clone theme. but I dont think that would cause the chat issue. I tested my chat by using my cellphone and my computer. I just logged in with 2 different accounts and at first there was a slight lag but then it cleared up. But like I said, I really havent seen issues. Really like what I have seen from this software. 

Hello Karl, you may want to refer to my previous message to John. Being as you say that you have not experienced any issues with phpFox, I am going to assume that you are not running it on a Macintosh under macOS; because trust me my friend, if you were, it would be a whole different story, as I have found out over the past several weeks. There's been a lot of aggravation and frustration on my part.

As I told John, the private chat issues seems to be resolved, and I can chat with other users, as well as with my other account on my iPhone, even though I don't have phpFox apps yet. This software needs to prove itself to me first before I will even consider taking such an expensive leap of faith.

While, Hanh -- apparently the owner/developer of the Facebook Clone theme -- originally told me that his theme has zero problems with phpFox -- and wanted to charge me $160 to fix my issues, SMH -- from his latest messages to me, it seems that he is starting to be a bit more honest, and is admitting that his theme does in fact have some issues with 4.8.2 -- and maybe even with earlier versions, for all I know. -- on the macOS platform. I just hope that he can work out all of the bugs with his theme, because after several weeks, I am really tired of things not working properly. I simply want what I paid for: a polished app, and a polished theme, that work properly under macOS.