Ro R

I reached out to the support team as I thought this was a bug and was told it works correctly and that they could not help me. Some I'm hoping someone here can help me understand. 

When a member sets their profile to be viewable by friends only and a friend posts on that profile, the comment shows a world icon as if it is public. While it may work correctly (only friends can see it) the world icon in the feed and on the profile is concerning to my beta testers. 

Same issue with closed groups. The closed group option shows a world icon on all posts. The world indicates it's public and while it seems to function correctly as well, members are concerned when they see the icon. 

Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 4.47.20 AM.png

What purpose is the public icon if it's not public? Is there a way to change these icons or the setting? 

Be the first person to like this.
Hannah

1Hi Ro R,

When a member sets their profile to be viewable by friends only and a friend posts on that profile, the comment shows a world icon as if it is public. While it may work correctly (only friends can see it) the world icon in the feed and on the profile is concerning to my beta testers. 

'==> We would like to confirm that the global icon on user profile depends on the privacy setting when s.o posts an item on feeds or on their profile. If he selects privacy = everyone, it means that we have to world icon on this feed item. 

Regarding the Privacy settings > Profile settings: [Who can view your profile page?Anyone] and [Who can view your activities section on your profile page?Anyone] : It is another step to filter who can see your profile and your feeds. So we think that we no need to hide to world icon in this case.

2. Regarding world icon on the feed items of the close group:

Same issue with closed groups. The closed group option shows a world icon on all posts. The world indicates it's public and while it seems to function correctly as well, members are concerned when they see the icon. 

'==> We will add your feedback to our suggestion list and it will be considered carefully in our future upgrade.

I hope that my explanation answers your concerns.

Thank you for your time and Happy New Year 2021!

Regards,

Hannah

Last update on December 31, 2020 by Hannah.
Ro R

Thanks for your response. 

1. Yes, most members have gone into those settings to say that their profile is to be viewed by friends only. However, can you not see how it would be confusing to see the world icon and think there's a bug/glitch? Because they have taken that extra step these are the members most likely to notice the icon. 

"so no need to hide to wold icon in this case" -- it's not about the need to hide it, but consistency. If the world icon means the community can see it, why would it not apply here. If someone posts on their page and the page is friend's only, the icon should reflect that for the member's comfort/security. It also saves admin from having to prove that their page is still only viewable by friends.

Thank you.

JohnJr

This seems somewhat odd that there is not an if statement before line 44 in file PF.Site/flavors/yourtheme/html/feed.block.content.html.php checking if their privacy is set to "friends only" and put the correct icon since this single if statement would control the home page feed as well as the profile feed.  Maybe I am missing something...you know I am not that smart.

Ro R

Yeah. I'm just big on consistency. I've been developing websites since 1998 and confusion makes people leave sites. 

If the profile, post, entry, etc. is friends only, it should reflect that icon.

If it's public (to anyone or the community) it should show the world icon.

If it's for group members only (closed group), there should be an icon that shows it's viewable by only group members.

You would instantly understand while scrolling your feed who can see a post instead of trying to figure out if the closed group you joined is now public.

Members Icons - Download Free Vector Icons | Noun Project

Hannah

Hi Ro R,

The world icon on the feed item depend on the privacy that you select when posting a new post. Please refer to our screenshot: https://prnt.sc/wi68ct

So it makes user confusion if we hide it when enable the setting Who can see your profile = Friend.

Let us know if you still have any concerns.

Regards,

Hannah

JohnJr

Hannah,

Maybe I misunderstand how it works.  Let me ask you this if I have my site set to "friends only" are their posts posted with a public icon in a friends-only community?

Last update on January 12, 2021 by JohnJr.
Ro R

Hannah,

Maybe I misunderstand how it works.  Let me ask you this, if I have my site set to "friends only" are their any posts that are posted publicly in a friends only community?

It was my understanding that it's public, but not in your feed. So while you can view the person's profile and see the content, it would not automatically show up in your news feed. This is fine for me. I just need the icon to reflect this accurately so that members aren't stressed out about who can REALLY see their content. Seems like a simple request to keep things consistent. 

Hannah

Hannah,

Maybe I misunderstand how it works.  Let me ask you this if I have my site set to "friends only" are their posts posted with a public icon in a friends-only community?

If your site is a friends-only community, when posting an new item we could not see the Everyone item on the privacy list . So there are no public icons on Friend only community.

Regards,

Hannah

Last update on January 14, 2021 by Hannah.