Hello everybody,

I have a very general but for me very important question:

How do you beat Facebook as a competition? I keep hearing that niche portals don't stand a chance because Facebook offers everything and can do everything and is free. I wonder how you can hold your own platform against Facebook and make money with your community portals? I'm a little at a loss how to actually make money with the software (phpfox)? I'm happy about every tip and link to platforms from you to see how you did it. How many members did you get on your portals? How does it all work for you and what can you really earn with it? I live in Austria and yes, we are certainly not as IT savvy as you are in the USA :-) Thanks for your tips and practical experience!

best regards
Gerald

Topics: phpfox, monetizing
Naresh

Nice thread and one I was looking for :)

I started a comunity site almost 5 years back. My experience :

1. Its not a good idea to do some customisation. Its costly and noot easy to maintain + compatibilityy issues will always be there. So wasted lots of money on customisation.

2. Install minimum 3rd party addons. They will always be a big pain and may lower the core phpfox performance.

3. Very few payment gateways.

4. The user iterface is not that impresssive. The mobile view is also not good. 

5. If the core functionalties suites your business idea only then work on it.

Thanks

Hi Naresh,

thanks for your feedback!

As far as I can see, this software is not really prepared for making money or using it for a real community..server requirements are to high, performance not good enough.. for sure also not for international markets (the software does not really work perfect with other language packages, like i.e german lp it doesn´t support everything we need) .. and we would have to stick all the time on the core product.. so all the 3rd party add ons and apps are more or less useless. all the time udates, upgrades.. always in any version you will find huge issues .. well, what a pity.. I got 6 licenses (5 lite and 1 ultimate) ... and as you say, the mobile view is not that good and I can imagine the mobile app would also not be very satisfying. do you have experience with that mobile app?

could you send me the link to your community to have a look at your project? what is the outcome of your project so far?

thank you

Gerald

Naresh

Hi,

My site is www.BrokersADDA.com , its already India's largest real estate community site. Almost 5 years old with lot of custom work ( most of which is dropped due to incompatibility ).

The mobile app was ok kok but Younet stopped supporting it few years back. So now I am planningg to have a simple web view app ( cost just $10 ) . The web view app is simply the site on mobile but downloaded as app from google and apple stores. But as I said its only a makeshift arrangement. 

I started learnig php and laravel framework few months back. Planning to develop my own platform with my custom requirements. Seems to be a tough call but that is only way to have a meaningful site.

Lets hope for the best.

Naresh, I checked out your site and it looks good, response time is good as well.

I had a idea for a niche site so purchased a ultimate license as a white label solution just

to get the idea out there in a reasonable time. The idea was to tweak the code as I went 

along, learn as much as possible, and if the community outgrew the site to use knowledge attained

to develop new platform. Was the custom work you had done implemented only with plugins or tweaking

core code? In your opinion is the core code sound and able to be scaled?

Be the first person to like this.
Naresh

Thanks.

My experience is that never make any changes in the core as there will always be updates. Unless you are a hard code php coder and can manage the updates.

One module we just copied and customised. So you can say that customisation in in the third party module. One complete module we developed from scratch ( could not launch it as its still incomplete and have bugs ).

So in the nutsheel, never customise the core code. Go for customisation only and only if you can do it yourself or if you have a very reliable quality coder in the team.

I decided to stop customisation because :

1. Good phpfox developers are not easy to locate.

2. Even  if you are able to locate , he will charge good amount.

3. Worst part is that you will become dependent on such a freelancer ( I am unable to contact my coder in the last few months :) ).

I have launched another community site for a niche. Visit at www.FilmyZing.com. The script I purchased on Contabo. It has much better UI but customer services sucks. The script is in core php so much easier to understand.

Thanks

Naresh

Thanks Naresh for your very helpful feedback!

How about Server providers, Server ressources.. I am still on the search for a good server solution and provider.. regarding privacy regulations and policy, which is different in europe then in other parts of the world.. more strict.. and also regarding performance... I am still not sure where to find that solution for my site...

Regards,

Gerald

Naresh

Hi,

I tried many server companies including AWS. Finally am having a VPS on Digital Ocean. Its cost effective and having good performance. Try to get a datacentre in your niche geographical area.

Thanks

Feel free to write to me at contact@brokersadda.com

All the best.

Er. Naresh Kumar

If I can ask, why did you decide against AWS?

?? who? what?

Naresh

If I can ask, why did you decide against AWS?

Their Indian datacentre server is costlier than digial ocean. In fact digital ocean costing is similar for all datacentres.

Thanks

Naresh

Thanks Naresh for your very helpful feedback!

How about Server providers, Server ressources.. I am still on the search for a good server solution and provider.. regarding privacy regulations and policy, which is different in europe then in other parts of the world.. more strict.. and also regarding performance... I am still not sure where to find that solution for my site...

Regards,

Gerald

Hi,

There is a small mistake. I have mentioned CONTABO ( which is actually a server company ) in place of ENVATO :):):) YOu will find the script at ENVATO Market. I have already shared the link.

Thanks

Hi Naresh,

thank you so much for your help! I will have a look at that product and give feedback here.

Have a good day!

Gerald

Hi all

I currently have a phpfox Pro license and the standard app package (the standard app package was bought some time ago so a number of the apps are deprecated) and I'd like to sell the licenses for them. I'm open to offers so if you're interested make me a sensible offer and we can discuss payment and transfer of the licences.

Thanks

Hi, 

you are not satisfied with phpfox. what are reasons? I am also not very satisfied with the policy and strategy of the company (uodates etc.)

Hi, 

you are not satisfied with phpfox. what are reasons? I am also not very satisfied with the policy and strategy of the company (uodates etc.)