I have Digital Ocean set up (was using Amazon S3) for a different PHPFox site I run. I have a couple questions:

1. If Digital Ocean or S3 is set to default it won't store media locally? This will save me server space?

2. If I transfer all the local files to Digital Ocean or S3 it will transfer all the media files from my local server. Will I need to delete the files after the transfer or is it done automatically? If I have to do it, where are these files.

My site's files are getting too big for my server. I want to move everything to Digital Ocean.

One last question, with Asset Handling, If I use my storage for that, is there documentation for properly using it?

Be the first person to like this.
JohnJr

Sorry Jasongeek, I don't know any of those answers.  But I like to ask you a question though.  How many gigs did your site get up to?  Was it too many users too fast or did the software just suck up a lot space?

It's from user files and spambots posting. I deleted the users but I don't know if that deleted their spam pics and videos.

I went from 170mb to 600mb in a few months. The software files never increased in size.

JohnJr

The software files never increased in size

That made me laugh...I wrote it wrote it wrong.  My wife says English is my second language but I only know one. LOL

That is what I meant when I said the software sucks up a lot space. I remember asking it about it and I think we did a bug report but I don't remember if it ever went through.  The issue where when you delete someone...all their pictures and videos would be deleted.  We didn't have for comments and text stuff since that doesn't use much space at all.  But videos and images...not good.

Maybe phpfox will chime in here.

But depending on how many users you have that isn't too bad at 12 gig a year for a real active site.  But the industry needs to stop this spam problem..software and phones.

Hannah

Hi jasongeek,

1. If Digital Ocean or S3 is set to default it won't store media locally? This will save me server space?

2. If I transfer all the local files to Digital Ocean or S3 it will transfer all the media files from my local server. Will I need to delete the files after the transfer or is it done automatically? If I have to do it, where are these files.

'==> We would like to confirm that there is a setting in AdminCP that allows us to configure to keep original files on the server or not. please search the setting named [Keep Files In Server].

Regards,

Thanks. I didn't see that setting.

Also, after upgrading to 4.8.5 there are now new meta settings. Is there documentation for how to use this?

Default Metadata

This section requires PHP version to be equal to or greater than 7.1. If your server does not meet the condition, files will not have the metadata that you configured.

Cache-Control: ________

Content-Disposition: ___________

Content-Encoding: _____________

What I did was 

DO for server hosting and S3 for storage, I had a subscription with kraken to shrink the image sizes when being moved to S3 which was done using a script in AWS lambda 

What I did was 

DO for server hosting and S3 for storage, I had a subscription with kraken to shrink the image sizes when being moved to S3 which was done using a script in AWS lambda 

What script?

What script? Was it easy to install and set up?

JohnJr

Does anyone have any history using S3 and the cost per user?  I am thinking of going that route but just wondering.

It's very, very cheap. They charge:

$0.023 per GB for the first 50TB

which would cost you $2.30 per month for 100 GB of storage