Bill Kochman

The post title clearly explains what I need to do. I run a Christian-oriented social network. According to our faith and the Bible, there are only TWO genders: male and female. Period. I and my members find it rather offensive that phpFox chose to even include the "Custom" option in the "Gender" drop-down menu. We are NOT liberals. We hold to conservative Bible-based values. My users have already complained to me about this issue. I want to remove the "Custom" option ASAP. How do I do it? If for some reason the "Custom" option cannot be removed, at the very least, I want to change "Custom" so that it says "Private" instead. So how would I do that if "Custom" cannot be outright removed? Thank you.

UPDATE: I just added the option for "Private" to the "Gender" drop-down menu, which really should have been there by default anyway. However, that "Custom" option is still there. So again, how do I delete "Custom" from the "Gender" drop-down menu?

Last update on June 23, 2021 by Bill Kochman.
Be the first person to like this.
JohnJr

AdminCP

Members

User Group Settings

Under Apps click on dropdown box (select User)

Can add custom gender?

You will have to say yes or no for each group (Registered, Staff, Banned..etc)

Last update on June 24, 2021 by JohnJr.
Bill Kochman

John, as I said, on the User Group Settings page, there are only TWO drop-down menus, or "dropdown boxes" as you call them. One is "Apps", and the other is "Groups". It is under the "Groups" drop-down menu where I see the different user levels, as I explained above. In other words, Administrator, Registered User, Guest, Staff and Banned. But no matter which of those I set it to, when it goes to that user group page, there is NO option that says "Can add custom gender?". Can you please post a screenshot showing it in your setup. Again I ask, are you using 4.8.5?

Is it possible that some other setting somewhere else needs to be set first in order for that option to appear on each user group page? Is it possible that you did something, but just don't remember doing it?

Last update on June 24, 2021 by Bill Kochman.
JohnJr

Before I do that did you put it in your search field on the top of the admincp? 

Can add custom gender

Bill Kochman

Registered User Group Settings Options

Bill Kochman

John, the above image shows every single option on the Registered User group page. Again, there is no custom gender option.

JohnJr

I asked because I had debug on so I thought that might be affecting it.  I just shut if off for you and my still shows...hold on.

JohnJr

JohnJr

I see what you did....you didn't select User and instead picked core.

Bill Kochman

Wow! John, I would definitely classify this as a major bug. If I go directly to the User Group Settings page and select "Registered User", as I showed above, it only shows those options that you see in the graphic that I posted. BUT, if I enter "Can add custom gender" in the search field, it shows me the same page, BUT with a pile of new options which are NOT available when I take the direct route. So, is it a bug, or are there different administrative levels, and I have to change mine to something more comprehensive somewhere? And, BTW, when I do it the search way, the custom gender option IS in fact there, along with a lot of other options which are not visible otherwise.

JohnJr

I tried it the direct way and it still shows up.  Although mine is an upgraded version many times.  Try under Maintenance (find missing settings).

JohnJr

wait...you select register user.  But then on the left you clicked on the APPS dropdown box to find all the different modules for Registered Users...right?

Last update on June 24, 2021 by JohnJr.
Bill Kochman

Ha! I didn't know I was supposed to do that. I assumed that you meant to select the user group under the "Groups" drop-down menu. I see that you just edited your previous post to make it more clear. Thank you.

I was wondering how some of my members were able to register without providing a Profile Pic, when I definitely have that option enabled in my settings. Now I know.

In other words, when it is set to "User" instead of to "Core", and displays all of those new options, the forced Profile Pic is NOT enabled by default.

Bill Kochman

There are two options I am really iffy about leaving enabled, because they could potentially lead to questionable behavior by unscrupulous members, such as stalking certain age groups, or women for that matter:

Can search a users gender using the browse filter?

Can search for users based on their age using the browse filter?

What is your feeling about those two. How do you have yours set? Enabled or Disabled?

JohnJr

Man, you are about to be overwhelmed (LOL).

In my excel spreadsheet, I have several columns heading (admin, Staff, Registered User, Banned....).

Then I  have 630 rows of all the settings and under each column, I put YES, NO or a number (depending on the setting).

It was the only way I could keep track in case I had to reinstall :)

Bill Kochman

Yeah, I already started a spreadsheet a while back, as you had suggested to me. 630? Man, that is A LOT of time-consuming work if you need to reinstall! I know that there are probably a lot of phrases and such that I should edit, because they are written in poor English, for reasons we both understand. But, I'll tell you, just making the time to do it, and the monotony of it all. I dislike monotonous, repetitive, tedious tasks. I can only handle so much before I have to stop before my brain fries or my patience runs out.

But as far as all of those settings are concerned, while I have saved some text files with settings listed in them, what I mainly do are mySQL backups just about every day if I remember to do them. And, I keep multiple copies of my mySQL backups: on the server machine itself, on two backup drives connected to the server machine, on my work machine, and on two backup drives connected to my work machine. I just don't like to take chances. And soon I will be getting better quality line voltage regulators, and two UPS systems, one for each iMac.