What is the best way to migrate to a new server? I have my own ideas but want to hear how others have successfully done it.

JohnJr

It really depends on what server you are using and even whether you are using Plesk or Cpanel or something else, but you have your files and your database.  I have only changed the server with more ram and CPU so everything else was pretty much the same.

Be the first person to like this.

I'm looking for the same information. I'm trying to move from shared hosting to VPS for speed increase and becasue they keep bumping my cron jobs to 20 minutes (instead of 5). But I need a good instruction set for migration. I have been searching online for an hour and get all kinds of different info... examples: some say transfer website files, others say install a fresh copy. Some say backup the database and others say build new and then do an import. Some talk about changing php sett file even though they dont say what to change, others don't.

An easy to understand step by step list of instructions, would be awesome. And then maybe someone could add it to the phpfox documentation.

JohnJr

I attempted to send you a friend request but it does not work for your profile for some reason.  I don't want to post the only file name you need to change or make sure you set up your new server database users and password.  But if you are using MySQL then you can export your SQL file and import it into the new server database (make sure to name it the same as well as the user for that database)  Then copy all the files and paste it into the same area you had it in your old server.

I sent you a friend request.

I sent you a friend request.