Does anyone have a site with alot of users? (100,000+)

We're not near that number yet but anticipating 100,000 users and we had some questions. 

1. Do you need load balancing?

2. Do you need caching?

3. Do you allow audio/video uploads or just linking

4. Do you have any problems with lots of users on at the same time?

5. Did you need to change the myself concurrent connections to a higher value?

6. Do you get media lags or choppiness? If so, how did you solve it?

7. Do you offload your media to S3, Digital Ocean, etc.

I found this article but it is four years old.

Performance Enhancement in phpFox 4.7.0 - phpFox Social Network

I have zero exposure to the v4 code at all. Just now stepping back into this to play with v5.
That performance enhancement article is actually really neat! I was doing that sort of thing on my own, previously with v3.
I'll have to get v5 to tinker with it and figure it out... this isn't going to be a quickie thing at all.
YES to 1-5. No on #6 and hell yes to #7.

You just can't do this at scale on one server. Not even with the really slick multi-core CPUs that have GBs of RAM!
Load Balancing the front-end webservers is so crucial! Load Balancing on the backend is really important and much harder to do very well. The things happening with multi-master database clusters is really neat! And with the system sizes we have now, it's not unreasonable to have your database completely in memory (no disk, no swapping! it's entirely in memory!!!) and getting some insane performance. It's extreme!!!

I never got 100,000 users. Most my v3 site did was 75,000 and maybe 6,000 online at peak. Load Balancing, caching, CDN, multiple DB replicas that are also load balanced (but smartly since it's DB traffic), RAID, LACP on your servers. You'll need it all if you want it to stay quick and responsive.

As a rule of thumb, you can get good, fast or cheap. Pick any 2.

I like this sort of thing and it's also something I'm interested in doing. 
Looking forward to some fun on performance, scale and doing it all with v5!

Thanks any help would be great. I'd like to do the load balancing for sure. Are there any articles or documentation? Is it done with a plugin? I"ve got two dedicated servers.

Be the first person to like this.
JohnJr

So glad your back.  I still feel like a newbie everytime I read your posts back then and even now. 

JohnJr

Will update this thread...started to watch Introduction To RCS Revision Control System

Last update on October 27, 2022 by JohnJr.

Thanks any help would be great. I'd like to do the load balancing for sure. Are there any articles or documentation? Is it done with a plugin? I"ve got two dedicated servers.

There are so many articles and tons of documentation for load balancing between two servers!
First things first, look at what your hosting provider offers. If you're in the cloud, there are several options.
If you have traditional hosting in a data center, you'll want to talk to your hosting people first! Once you know what they give you to work with, finding articles and documentation on it gets so much easier! 
Your hosting people may have some articles or documentation on load balancing as well. Be sure to ask or look!

Just as a primer, LiquidWeb has a decent article that will give you the most high level overview.
https://www.liquidweb.com/kb/understanding-load-balancing/
It's not the load balancing bible, but you don't want that! Not right away at least.

Be the first person to like this.