JohnJr

That it has a real upgrade process this time.  This opening of an upgraded zip file that overwrites over 50,000 plus files when less than a hundred files are added or changed during an upgrade is outdated and tiresome and really puts excessive work on owners who want to customize their site and who don't want to look like a Facebook social site clone.  I have to go in manually during each upgrade and manually change the code on a few hundreds of custom files back because you overwrite all the files.  I wrote a program to compare your change log to the files I changed and 90% of the time none of my custom files are even changed or touched with the upgrade.  Even when there is a change, it is only one of my custom files.  So every upgrade I spend days fixing stuff I shouldn't have to but because your upgrade process includes all the files to be written over in the upgrade process, I have to.  By the time MetaFox is usable, it will be 2023... hoping to get a modern process for upgrading a site.

If anyone has custom work done on their site...how do you handle the upgrading of your site?  Do you redo the custom work by yourself or pay someone to do it?

Be the first person to like this.
Kibcode

hey john, a good way of upgrading a customized site is to do a backup of the modified files and put them in the right structure so you can copy the directory over again after comparing. of course they could offer incremental updates but that would mean to build two packages on each update. one for the full installation and a second for the update and you will have a huge list of downloads in your client dashboard. its also harder to manage deprecated files. phpfox tries to make the process as simple as possible for people not too deep into all the tech stuff and i understand the choice here.

as you can see on the metafox docs v5 will be a complete new system based on laravel so you wont be able to use old modifications with v5 but i think its the correct way to switch the core to a modern framework that will work for many years in the future. maybe they will even go on maintaining v4 after v5 is released but i am not sure on that.

personally i prefer to do all custom work for a single site as an app. sure its not that easy and you need to become very creative when it comes to missing hooks in the code but at the end its a clean way to manage customizations.

i hope this gives you some ideas.

JohnJr

I have all the modified files for every previous upgrade.  The problem is that I don't know what occurs/processes happen during the upgrade process.  I could update files or change files etc.  What would be better for an upgrade, is only put the zip file that was modified, added, or changed during the upgrade process and stop having all the files written over each time.  That way everyone who looks at their change log file will actually know those are the only files that are going to be written over.

Be the first person to like this.