I want to see a list of New Features. That's honestly all I care about. I mean since the 3rd party guys can't seem to make anything for the mobile version I guess its on you then right? 

So?

Stories?

Reels?

You once had videos play in a infinite scroll like tiktok on the app then that stopped and you have to play them one at a time. 

Live streams are cool but they can get expensive with no way to make revenue off of them. Like superchats and the app takes a %

ATTENTION and RETENTION is GOLD...

So what new features will metafox have?  Features that will not only serve desktop / website but also serve the app? 

Is meta fox just a desktop redesign?

Can you provide a list of upgrades and features...  I'd love to see that. I spent enough money on things I shouldn't have... like tons of plugins to only find out they don't and won't ever work with the app.

Thanks for the early bird offer... but I'll wait.

Last update on September 27, 2022 by lowkey704.

when they say "we will develop stories and reels after metafox is released" I am cautious of that. I will just wait and see what happens. You know you would probably get more support if the features were created and if current plugins actually worked with the current app. But for those of us who have been around for a little while now know better. 

I hear wowonder is currently redesigning their app. If their app comes out cleaner and more modern that's gonna be tough to compete with. Those guys are constantly rolling out updates and are already working on reels / shorts etc. Not trying to throw that in anyones face. I am just pointing out the obvious. 

Last update on October 2, 2022 by lowkey704.
Vinny

Hi E A Tech,

Hi lowkey,

- Is the app getting a new design? Yes, the mobile app will be also redesigned to match the MetaFox website. 

- How do you know that the Product Upgrade period of your phpFox V4 license has ended or hasn't ended?
> I would like to inform you that a phpFox license includes 1 year of Updates access with the initial purchase which means we offer you free updates within a year, after then if you are going to receive new updates for your site, you will need to pay an additional payment which costs 20% of your current License price to continue receiving updates for another year. It is clearly mentioned on the phpFox pricing page here: https://www.phpfox.com/pricing/

- Is it or will MetaFox (V5) be compatible with current V4 ThirdParty Apps and Themes? 
> All current 3rd-party apps on phpFox Store are for phpFox V4. MetaFox App structure is completely changed, so all 3rd party apps need to be rewritten for MetaFox.

- Is the Native Mobile App for MetaFox (V5) ready or is it compatible with V4 Native Mobile App?
> Regarding the mobile app, we will have a separate MetaFox mobile app version after the official release of MetaFox at the end of this year and the V4 Native Mobile App won't be compatible with the MetaFox site.

- Will this MetaFox (V5) be easier for third-party developers to add their third-party products to the MetaFox (V5) Native Mobile App? 
> Like phpFox V4, we will provide third-party developers with all the necessary information to make their apps compatible with the V5 mobile app. However, it is their responsibility to develop their app. You can either contact the respective third party to ask about their development plan.

- Since the launch of the Native Mobile App for V4, Third-party developers are yet to convert their third-party Apps for the V4 Native Mobile App. Will it be possible or made easier for third-party Apps to be added to the Native Mobile App for MetaFox (V5) without going through redevelopment? Better still just link or connect third-party Apps to MetaFox (V5) Native Mobile App without going through coding or redevelopment.
> Thank you so much for your suggestion, but this is the responsibility of the third-party developers, we only support them with the instruction to make their app could be working on V5. Hope you will understand this point.

Regards,
Vinny.

Be the first person to like this.

Please Permit My Lame Man Questions. 

1. How do you know that the Product Upgrade period of your phpFox V4 license has ended or hasn't ended?

2. Is it or will MetaFox (V5) be compatible with current V4 ThirdParty Apps and Themes? 

3. Is the Native Mobile App for MetaFox (V5) ready or is it compatible with V4 Native Mobile App?

4. Will this MetaFox (V5) be easier for thirdParty developers to add their thirdParty products to the MetaFox (V5) Native Mobile App? 

5. Since the launch of the Native Mobile App for V4, ThirdParty developers are yet to convert their thirparty Apps for V4 Native Mobile App. Will it be possible or made easier for thirdparty Apps to be Added to Native Mobile App for MetaFox (V5) without going through redevelopment? Better still just link or connect thirdparty Apps to MetaFox (V5) Native Mobile App without going through coding or redevelopment?

There is no way we can know our upgrade period, apparently, people who didn't pay 20% license fee annually also got updates. 

I reached out to support with similar question and extremely disappointment with the support I am getting. After Raymond Benc left things have changed with new management :( 

I've been using PHPFox for several years now and bought it with life time license and updates,, I am pretty sure about it as I wouldn't have bought it if they had mentioned about recurring annual fee for updates. Now they say it was never the case, I asked if they can share terms or screenshot of pricing from the past, and they don't have it. 

To prove myself, I told them that I have been downloading latest version of PHPFox till date and never had to pay any upgrade fee annually, which itself proves that I had lifetime updates. Now I receive a response saying - "Clients who are out of the Product Upgrade period can still download the latest phpFox web source code, but we are going to restrict the code as per our policy very soon so you will not be able to find and download the source code of the next phpFox website versions anymore from the Client Area."

My concerns are:

1) If one was allowed to download latest phpFox even after product upgrade period then its unfair for those who are paying upgrade fee annually to get updates. 

2) If PHPFox is restricting the code to be downloaded as per new policy then its unfair for those who bought PHPFox initially expecting to get life time updates. 

Is it just me who is under the impression that I bought lifetime license with lifetime updates or do we have someone else in the same boat? 

Regards

Last update on October 7, 2022 by srny.

Hello Vinny, 

MetaFox (Fox V5) PRE-ORDER Period:

The exclusive early bird pricing for MetaFox (Fox V5) is selling for $499: 

1.) Active V4 license in the Product Upgrade period; Gets the MetaFox (Fox V5) for Free. 

2.) Non Active V4 license without the Product Upgrade period; Gets the MetaFox (Fox V5) exclusive early bird pricing Pre-Order for $499

3.) Active V4 license without or ended Product Upgrade period, will have to renew their phpFox V4 license at 20% of the license price to Upgrade to MetaFox (Fox V5)

4.) How much can Active V4 license without or ended Product Upgrade period, get the MetaFox (Fox V5) exclusive early bird pricing Pre-Order for? Can they get it for 20% of $499, which is the MetaFox (Fox V5) exclusive early bird pricing? 

I will want you to answer number 4 with detailed explanation please. 

Best regards,

Hello Vinny, 

MetaFox (Fox V5) PRE-ORDER Period:

The exclusive early bird pricing for MetaFox (Fox V5) is selling for $499: 

1.) Active V4 license in the Product Upgrade period; Gets the MetaFox (Fox V5) for Free. 

2.) Non Active V4 license without the Product Upgrade period; Gets the MetaFox (Fox V5) exclusive early bird pricing Pre-Order for $499

3.) Active V4 license without or ended Product Upgrade period, will have to renew their phpFox V4 license at 20% of the license price to Upgrade to MetaFox (Fox V5)

4.) How much can Active V4 license without or ended Product Upgrade period, get the MetaFox (Fox V5) exclusive early bird pricing Pre-Order for? Can they get it for 20% of $499, which is the MetaFox (Fox V5) exclusive early bird pricing? 

I will want you to answer number 4 with detailed explanation please.

Best regards,

Got another email hyping up MetaFox. Sorry I just won't spend money until I know the changelog. 

I need to see actual improvements and not just a UI design.

Currently ADS are useless. I am not talking about Admobs etc - I am referring to ADMIN inserted ads to push memberships, to push merch etc. 

ADS don't even show up in the APP which all of our users are on. So, that sucks... 

Users can't even delete instant messages. Admin has an option to wipe out all message but the user has no option at all... that sucks

Admin can't even put preroll or banner ads in video... that sucks

Maybe a super chat option (donations for live streamers) would be a great feature to add so that all the money it costs for live streaming could be ROI? The app could take a percentage / split with the streamer.

Outside of the basics... memes - video - there's really no excitment. 

Outside of Memberships - WHICH BTW on the app is difficult to navigate - You really don't have any monetization. I have brought up the membership process on the app before. It's a terrible process - it's confusing and I am sure it's lost opportunities for sign ups

I will also state again - Reels / Shorts / Stories / Infinite Scroll - SOMETHING TO HELP RETENTION.

So, basically I see a UI update and nothing else... I don't mean to come off harsh but man CATCH UP!

JohnJr

If I remember correctly, the image they show does indicate they fix the image issue where when more than one image is uploaded to the feed, it automatically adjusts the photo size without white space.  Of course, maybe they just uploaded the correct size of the image which users never do :)

Bill Kochman

Personally, I find phpFox's pricing scheme and update scheme both confusing and rather ambiguous. For example, in my client area, it says that my license is active, but it does not say when it expires. I think this is what some people here want to know, myself included. It seems to me that it wouid be a simple process to add the license expiration date to our client area so that we are not left in the dark. So why has it never been done?

For the record. I upgraded from phpFox V4 Pro to phpFox V4 Ultimate on February 4, 2021. I received a credit card payment receipt twelve days later on February 16, 2021.

Since then, other than paying for a plugin or two, plus paying for some custom work on my phpFox iPhone and Android apps, I have not paid any kind of 20% upgrade fees, to my knowledge.

I have been able to freely download all updates from phpFox Pro 4.8.1 to phpFox Pro 4.8.10.

So I am confused regarding whether or not I will have to pay for phpFox 5, or whether it will be a free upgrade for me.

At this point, I can't even get any more updates for the phpFox app, because they demand $200 for each app update, which includes the mobile app upgrade price, plus the custom work that needs to be done each time with the two apps.

I will be honest. Quite frankly, at this current time, I am not inclined to upgrade to phpFox 5 whenever it become available; particularly if it means dishing out more money in the hundreds of dollars to get it. There are several reasons for this:

1. Over the past two years, I have made a number of feature requests. These have been functions which I personally believe should ALREADY be a part of the phpFox basic package, without there being a need for us to pay for custom work to get them. I am talking about functions that other social networks have built into them by default.

But what irks me is the fact that NONE of my feature requests have ever been implemented, and I have been repeatedly told that if I want them, I need to pay for custom work. They charge hundreds of dollars for custom work, as some of you will already know.

I'm sorry, but I am a poor man, a retired man, surviving on a meager SS check, and I can't keep paying for custom work, for things which should already be included in phpFox.

2. It has been my personal observation, that many of the changes which have been made to phpFox over the past two years, have been cosmetic at best. I don't consider any of them to have been major improvements to the phpFox package. Just changing the UI is not enough to persuade me to pay money for an upgrade.

3. While the phpFox team boasts of improvements to ChatPlus, Live Streaming, etc., such improvements leave me out in the cold, because to do either or both, you really need a dedicated server APART from your main web server which hosts your phpFox website. They even say this in their docs. I only have one machine I can use to run phpFox, and another machine I dedicate to personal use, so I can't offer their chatbot or live streaming services to my users. In fact, I can't even allow my users to uploaded videos to my web server. Doing so would bog it down too much. So, I only allow video links, such as from YouTube for example.

My point is, when they mention these new or improved features, they don't excite me in the least, because I can't even use them on my web server, and I use a fast 5K iMac. Again, offering ChatPlus and Live Streaming -- which I cannot afford anyway -- would bog down my server too much. So saying that they are including ChatPlus for free in order to entice us to purchase phpFox 5.0 is no incentive for me to upgrade to 5.0.

The bottom line is that unless I feel that a new feature is personally useful and practical for me and my users, and not just more eye candy, I am not willing to pay for it. I think that is what some of the other members here are saying as well. That is why they want to see a very clear feature list. They want to be convinced that they would be getting their money's worth, should they decide to upgrade to and pay for phpFox 5.

Those are my personal thoughts on these issues. You may or may not agree with me. Fire away! :)

Last update on October 20, 2022 by Bill Kochman.

honestly i am waiting to see what wowonders app redesign looks like... that may just be what I need to walk for good.

Last update on October 20, 2022 by lowkey704.
JohnJr

Bill,

"So I am confused regarding whether or not I will have to pay for phpFox 5, or whether it will be a free upgrade for me."

No, it will not be free.  It will cost you $107 to receive the upgrade option as I did with my V4 and the pricing is fair.

phpFox Annual Upgrade - V4 Pro (10/17/2022 - 10/16/2023) $107.00

I was hoping that they would at least give me a temporary V5 to check for bugs and help the forum when I can. But that is ok because now I can be totally honest.  When V4 came out it had so many bugs.  It went from 62 bugs/issues to about 180 and it was because they did not test it with regular users because some were so obvious that even if you signed up for the account you would have seen the bug.  I am not trying to be negative, but in reality, there will be lots of issues.  That does not make it good or bad but the way they have to release upgrades is because they are not a huge company.  I hope I am wrong but I don't expect to upgrade my main site until next fall or even winter.

Last update on October 20, 2022 by JohnJr.
Bill Kochman

John Jr. I am assuming that your version 4 upgrade fee of $107 -- which doesn't even include a free peek at version 5 -- is based on the $539.00 price tag for phpFox Pro. Well, I don't have Pro. I have Ultimate, which includes both the iOS and Android apps. John, this cost me $1,600, which means my annual upgrade fee would be $320, and I would still not get version 5, if I were to upgrade today.

But that is not all, John. According to the phpFox team, I have already used up my three free mobile app upgrades. As a result, the last time I requested a mobile app upgrade, they said it would be $150 for the app upgrade, plus another $50 -- for a total of $200 -- for the small bit of custom work that my apps require. In other words, John, currently, for me to do one annual upgrade of phpFox Ultimate plus the two mobile apps would be $320 + $200 = $520. And that is assuming that I only upgrade the mobile apps once a year. Sometimes they release more than one mobile app upgrade per year.

Now, when I balance $520 annually with how many serious improvements I have seen in phpFox over the past two years since I first purchased it -- and not just minimalistic desktop eye candy -- I simply cannot justify the cost.

But there is a final reason why I am not inclined to upgrade to version 5, even when it does come out. When I first purchased phpFox two years ago, I was very excited about it. At last I would be able to start my own Christian-oriented social network, and provide my Christian brethren with a place where they would be free from the tyranny, censorship, discrimination and harassment which we Christians and Conservatives constantly experience on the liberal social networks, which is basically all of them.

I worked very hard to design my new phpFox site, and I promoted it widely, as I continue to do to this day on FOURTEEN other social networks. I also spent thousands of dollars on it as well. I was hoping that many of my 5,000 Facebook friends would join me on my Christian Social Network. Surely they would leave that terrible place where Zuckerberg's team would constantly harass us, throw us in jail, remove our posts, censor us, etc.

Well, sad to say, after trying for about a year and a half, I had managed to wean not even 150 people from my 5,000 friends on Facebook. But even with those 150 members on my site, participation was dismal at best. As we all know, signing up is one thing, consistent participation is quite another. The simple fact is that it is extremely difficult to compete with the major social networks. Despite how poorly they are treated there, people are comfortable there, and they don't want to leave them.

Well, just recently, I took the difficult step of deleting all accounts on my phpFox site which had been inactive for six months or longer. Guess what? That dropped membership on my phpFox site to BELOW 50 members, and even those remaining 50 members are slowly dwindling as well, due to lack of active participation. Christian Social Network is basically dead, and I am the only one who posts on a regular, consistent basis.

So taking together all of the above information, perhaps you can begin to understand why I personally am very hesitant to continue dishing out so much money, not only for the upgrade to phpFox 5, but for the annual Ultimate upgrade fees, and the annual mobile app upgrade fees, which will follow it. It's just not worth it in my book.

Well that answer is simple. You will never compete with big tech unless you have something orginal and unique. You also need something that can not only capture attention but retention. Look I had 1 million on my fb page and they eventually took me down because I am not woke and never will be. 

I managed to get thousands of people on the app - probably had close to 7k sign ups - only a very small percentage are still active. I am currently deleting thousands...

Why? Becase I can get them there but I can't make the stay. There are not enough tools to maintain retention. There is another platform that I am eyeing very closely... they're constantly working to improve their scripts and doing updates often. I asked about their app and they told me that the app is being fully redesigned. That stories would work with your phone camera and that reels / shorts are coming too. 

Unlike phpfox - I belive these guys. Let's just be real - phpfox has been around for a LONG TIME and hasn't produced any features of the modern world outside of live streaming which will cost you a good bit. They don't think of you... they don't think of your users. They simply want to sell the license. 

When you give input to better the platform they couldn't careless. When you point out flaws they tell you it's config'd properly. When you say hey what about some things that could help the app owner(s) make money - they couldn't careless. 

This is why so many license holders left phpfox for other platforms. 

They know this - they know that many of us know this as well.

Why not have live streaming setup through agora? They offer 10,000 hours free a month... because they want to sell the license.

Why not offer live streaming through ant media? Custom work... that's another thing.

They told me they would create stories for 20,000.00 - You insult me? Like I can't just get a whole app for that. 

Why not have Super Chats - where it would excite a streamer to use the platform and their audience could come with them. 

Let the app owner take a split / percentage? Because just buy the license.

Why not have shorts already with the infinite scroll?? That is the biggest retention tool out there. Just buy the license

phpfox has a lot of potential but they have failed to maximize it.

Other platforms are so much cheaper and they are busting butt to be great.

Why would someone pay (me included - live and learn) 1,499 for the ultimate package and then spend tons of $ for plugins only to realize that the plugins don't even work in the app - WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT when you can get something of the exact same for 120???

Did you know that if you place an ad using PHP Ads that it doesn't show up in the app???? 

What's the point of anyone running an ad??? 

I could realy go on... for a while about everything I see as an issue, problem or concern.

I also honestly don't believe you when you say stories are coming... that shorts are coming... sorry not sorry I just don't buy it. 

Believe me I want to be a fan, I want to be excited, I want to believe that maybe this time it's gonna be fire... just not betting on it.

Last update on October 20, 2022 by lowkey704.
Bill Kochman

Lowkey, I agree with you regarding retention. As I already mentioned, it is extremely hard to do, because aside from originality and uniqueness, the vast majority of us do NOT have the kind of money, manpower or infrastructure that is required to compete against the social network giants such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. It is impossible.

As I already said, I was so excited when I first started using phpFox, I was certain that many of my Facebook friends would come flocking to my social network, because many of them complained about how Facebook treats us. And like myself, they are also Christians.

But as I quickly learned, people have a habit of becoming comfortable and entrenched in a certain place on the web, and it is very hard to get them to leave. I know, because I have tried for almost two years now, with very dismal results.

Quite frankly, even if I could afford ChatPlus and Live Streaming -- which I obviously can't -- I don't think that even that would draw people or help to retain them, because those services are already available on so many other websites. They are old hat.

In my case, I suspect that what I will eventually end up doing at some point in the future, is shutting down my social network as my number of members continues to dwindle in size. Why continue to pay for the domain name, special email address, bulk email forwarding, software upgrade fees, etc., for something that doesn't bear much fruit?

As is, I already have my own static website, and I currently syndicate my work to fifteen social networks. I've sunk a lot of time, energy and money into phpFox, but its sunset may be coming sometime in the coming year.

Well those other guys I have mentioned... I have seen a screenshot of their figma design... yeah I just bought their app. If they release what I am seeing I am gone. So, I will rebrand, reskin and upload a new app - wait for the update to release and if all is well you won't be seeing me here anymore. 

Live and Learn

Last update on October 21, 2022 by lowkey704.
JohnJr

Bill, you are correct in that yours would be 20% (plus tax) of what your current license would cost now.  I know any code changes would cost extra but you would have to look at the description of the upgrade at this URL

https://clients.phpfox.com/cart.php?gid=addons or Product Addons in your PhpFox client login.  Mine says the following which I question about it not saying the free chat stuff in the description but they provided the link so it must be right.  Here is the description for V4 Pro

phpFox Annual Upgrade - V4 Pro

This addon is for the annual update plan for phpFox V4 Pro license. The access to new phpFox versions will be kept in next 12 months.

So check your description for the Annual Upgrade for Ultimate so at least you will know.  I  have too many hacks to actually use V5 but I wanted it so I could at least try to help the forum if needed.  I understand your frustration though...sorry.  Winter is coming so I will be back inside in about a month if you still need help.