I've been using PHPFox for several years now and bought it with life time license and updates,, I am pretty sure about it as I wouldn't have bought it if they had mentioned about recurring annual fee for updates. Now PHPFox support says it was never the case, I asked if they can share terms or screenshot of pricing from the past, and they don't have it. 

To prove myself, I told them that I have been downloading latest version of PHPFox till date and never had to pay any upgrade fee annually, which itself proves that I had lifetime updates. Now I receive a response saying - "Clients who are out of the Product Upgrade period can still download the latest phpFox web source code, but we are going to restrict the code as per our policy very soon so you will not be able to find and download the source code of the next phpFox website versions anymore from the Client Area."

My concerns are:

1) If one was allowed to download latest phpFox even after product upgrade period then its unfair for those who are paying upgrade fee annually to get updates. 

2) If PHPFox is restricting the code to be downloaded as per new policy then its unfair for those who bought PHPFox initially expecting to get life time updates. 

Is it just me who is under the impression that I bought lifetime license with lifetime updates or do we have someone else in the same boat? 

Vinny

Hello srny,

We believe that you did receive our response about your concerns via the ticket well, but we would like to re-answer them here:

1) If one was allowed to download latest phpFox even after product upgrade period then its unfair for those who are paying upgrade fee annually to get updates.
=> For this reason, we're going to restrict the code, so those who don't pay for the annual upgrade will not be able to find and download the source code from the Client Area.

2) If PHPFox is restricting the code to be downloaded as per new policy then its unfair for those who bought PHPFox initially expecting to get lifetime updates.
=> Kindly help us note that this is not our new policy, this is our initial term of service, and it's always mentioned on the phpFox pricing page. When you purchase a phpFox license, you get free updates within a year, which means you can update phpFox to the new version when we have new updates released. After one year, you need to pay a renewal fee to continue receiving software updates for another year. The renewal fee is optional if you don't pay for it, you can keep using the software in the old version normally. We strongly confirm that we provide a lifetime license, not lifetime updates.

Regards,

Vinny.

Last update on October 12, 2022 by Vinny.
Be the first person to like this.

Hello Vinny, 

MetaFox (Fox V5) PRE-ORDER Period:

The exclusive early bird pricing for MetaFox (Fox V5) is selling for $499: 

1.) Active V4 license in the Product Upgrade period; Gets the MetaFox (Fox V5) for Free. 

2.) Non Active V4 license without the Product Upgrade period; Gets the MetaFox (Fox V5) exclusive early bird pricing Pre-Order for $499

3.) Active V4 license without or ended Product Upgrade period, will have to renew their phpFox V4 license at 20% of the license price to Upgrade to MetaFox (Fox V5)

4.) How much can Active V4 license without or ended Product Upgrade period, get the MetaFox (Fox V5) exclusive early bird pricing Pre-Order for? Can they get it for 20% of $499, which is the MetaFox (Fox V5) exclusive early bird pricing? 

I will want you to answer number 4 with detailed explanation please.

Best regards,

JohnJr

Number 3 indicates that if you have V4 without a paid upgrade period currently, you will have to pay about $100 per license to get a year's worth of upgrades which would include V5.

metro

So like you, I bought phpfox at v1.x with the Lifetime Time guarantee. I had no problems until it came to upgrading from v3 to v4. After consulting with a contracts lawyer, I had a good fight with phpfox with screen shots and everything to proove my case. They did honor and grandfather the contract. 

I hope it doesnt get messy again and that they will do the right thing and stick to the contract that we agreed upon at purchase.. 

I've been using PHPFox for several years now and bought it with life time license and updates,, I am pretty sure about it as I wouldn't have bought it if they had mentioned about recurring annual fee for updates. Now PHPFox support says it was never the case, I asked if they can share terms or screenshot of pricing from the past, and they don't have it. 

To prove myself, I told them that I have been downloading latest version of PHPFox till date and never had to pay any upgrade fee annually, which itself proves that I had lifetime updates. Now I receive a response saying - "Clients who are out of the Product Upgrade period can still download the latest phpFox web source code, but we are going to restrict the code as per our policy very soon so you will not be able to find and download the source code of the next phpFox website versions anymore from the Client Area."

My concerns are:

1) If one was allowed to download latest phpFox even after product upgrade period then its unfair for those who are paying upgrade fee annually to get updates. 

2) If PHPFox is restricting the code to be downloaded as per new policy then its unfair for those who bought PHPFox initially expecting to get life time updates. 

Is it just me who is under the impression that I bought lifetime license with lifetime updates or do we have someone else in the same boat? 

CymonSez

As far back as I can remember all upgrades to newer major versions were $49 all minor upgrades were free(3.0 to 3.1 = free 3.9 to 4.0 was $49) and that is what i agreed to when I bought two licenses. So as far as im concerned anyone with a license for V4 should only pay $49 to get V5

Vinny

Hello E A Tech,

How much can Active V4 license without or ended Product Upgrade period, get the MetaFox (Fox V5) exclusive early bird pricing Pre-Order for?
> In this case,  you still need to renew your phpFox V4 license to update from V4 to V5, and as you know the renewal fee is  20% of the license price.

Can they get it for 20% of $499, which is the MetaFox (Fox V5) exclusive early bird pricing? 
> No, they cannot. The early-bird pricing given in MetaFox Pre-order already includes a big discount. You can see that the prices of MetaFox Pro ($499) and MetaFox Ultimate ($1299) are even lower than the equivalent phpFox V4 license. Moreover, you will get a free Installation and MetaFox ChatPlus solution when preordering. Thus, we cannot have more discount offers.

I purchased PHPFox back in 2012 and find this thread quite interesting. Like srny, I bought it at a time when there was no mention of yearly costs to keep up-to-date, evident in the fact I've gone from version 3.4/5 up to the current release 4.8.10 Pro without any additional cost. If MetaFox was a new product, I certainly wouldn't expect it for free (but I think a separate discussion could be had on whether it really is even a new product).

Vinny stated: When you purchase a phpFox license, you get free updates within a year, which means you can update phpFox to the new version when we have new updates released. After one year, you need to pay a renewal fee to continue receiving software updates for another year. The renewal fee is optional if you don't pay for it, you can keep using the software in the old version normally.

You also said it's unfair for us to get something that others have paid renewals for (which I agree with), but for whatever reason, we've been doing that already - 10 years in my case!  Was this a result of some mistake/oversight when you changed the clientarea, etc years ago?
   I'm rather cynical, but this looks to me like there's a bunch of us in this same situation, so you're created a new product (which isn't really a new product), to bump everyone onto the new version, with a new license requiring a yearly renewal, whilst putting V4 to 'end of life', eventually ceasing updates/support. I'm not complaining, I clearly love the product but the messages in this thread seem to be mixed.

I'd ask, which of the two do I fall into, since I've seemingly had an unlimited Upgrade Period that has seen me through V3.4 to V4.8.10
1.) Active V4 license in the Product Upgrade period; Gets the MetaFox (Fox V5) for Free. 
3.) Active V4 license without or ended Product Upgrade period, will have to renew their phpFox V4 license at 20% of the license price to Upgrade to MetaFox (Fox V5)

Vinny

Hi LEthaLity,

How are you?

I bought it at a time when there was no mention of yearly costs to keep up-to-date, evident in the fact I've gone from version 3.4/5 up to the current release 4.8.10 Pro without any additional cost
> The policy is mentioned clearly on this page https://www.phpfox.com/pricing/. The user will get Free 12-month Software Updates if buying a new license, but honestly, we did not follow this policy strictly that's why all the clients can still find and download the source code from the Client Area even though their  Product Upgrade period has ended. However, from now on, we will follow our policy closely to avoid any misunderstanding. For your information, our development team is going to restrict the code so those who don't pay for the annual upgrade cannot find and download the source code from the Client Area. To upgrade the site, the clients must order an Annual upgrade.

Also, after checking, I can confirm with you that you are in the second one "Active V4 license with the ended Product Upgrade period, so you first have to renew your phpFox V4 Annual Upgrade at 20% of the license price, then we will help you convert to MetaFox after the official release in December 2022. Btw, you need to pay $107 for your phpFox Annual Upgrade.

Should you are still confused about our Product Updates policy, please feel free to open a ticket in our Client Area to discuss further.

Vinny.

So like you, I bought phpfox at v1.x with the Lifetime Time guarantee. I had no problems until it came to upgrading from v3 to v4. After consulting with a contracts lawyer, I had a good fight with phpfox with screen shots and everything to proove my case. They did honor and grandfather the contract. 

I hope it doesnt get messy again and that they will do the right thing and stick to the contract that we agreed upon at purchase.. 

Exactly. The original lifetime contract terms was very clear. Lifetime updates. Whether it is fair to new buyers or not is irrelevent and is a very weak argument to change the contract to when it suits them. That would put phpfox in breach of contract and with it the repercussions that comes with it and can get really messy really quick.  It just opens the doors for legal recourse and open up all kinds of cans of worms. Does PHPFox really want to open this door? I hope not.  All it takes is a spark to start a forest fire.

The best thing for PHPFox to do is grandfather all of those who have the lifetime license because in situations like these, phpfox will definitively lose in court.  At the end, if phpfox continues to test, they wiill not only lose their base clients, but also hurt themselves and future customers.  I just hope they do the right thing and everyone will be happy, old and new customers.  Old happy customers also makes good marketing.

Last update on November 12, 2022 by prepperz.
Paris

I checked out ver 5. Looks the same.

I was hoping to see new technology,  a real web mobile that unloads and loads to be real infinite feed but it appearantly looks the same.

Your 20% for ultimate holders is bad business practice.

It should be 20% of EARLYBIRD ULTIMATE.

Just voicing what I see.

Have a nice day.

I'll upgrade 20% if I see v5 being new technology.  It's completely same.

Hello srny,

We believe that you did receive our response about your concerns via the ticket well, but we would like to re-answer them here:

1) If one was allowed to download latest phpFox even after product upgrade period then its unfair for those who are paying upgrade fee annually to get updates.
=> For this reason, we're going to restrict the code, so those who don't pay for the annual upgrade will not be able to find and download the source code from the Client Area.

2) If PHPFox is restricting the code to be downloaded as per new policy then its unfair for those who bought PHPFox initially expecting to get lifetime updates.
=> Kindly help us note that this is not our new policy, this is our initial term of service, and it's always mentioned on the phpFox pricing page. When you purchase a phpFox license, you get free updates within a year, which means you can update phpFox to the new version when we have new updates released. After one year, you need to pay a renewal fee to continue receiving software updates for another year. The renewal fee is optional if you don't pay for it, you can keep using the software in the old version normally. We strongly confirm that we provide a lifetime license, not lifetime updates.

Regards,

Vinny.

Hello Vinny,

Theres a difference, Me including many people bought a license with "Lifetime Updates" We already paid for this., The group you are referring to has not paid for "Lifetime License" when it was offered.  

So if you stop updates its unfair with those who have Lifetime Updates License of this piece of software.

But thats all I expect from you guys, as I have experienced with this developer. so nothing new. Last I paid to you guys was for mobile apps(Younetco) and in a month you discontinued that product  and told me to pay for ultimate license because you discontinued selling that, my money got total lost, because any business ethics are not expected from this developer called younetco, so who in his right mind is going to spend a penny anymore? None. 

The dishonesty may give you some quick bucks, but it will make you doomed and HELPLESS in future, and future is not far. You are making your clients fool who earn you bread and butter, only because they trusted in you. So karma will hot back like a seed is sown always gives fruit.

In my 15 years of as a web developer, Theres no developer I needed to fight at all, but younetco. 

They sold mobile apps pack to me in black friday offer and in a month they discontinued selling and when i asked they said its not on offer so only option you have is to upgrade to ultimate license, I already had a pro license and i bought mobile pack so how they could force me to pay more to upgrade to give me mobile apps pack? theres no way and after lot of emails and tries, they still only offer me credits back to buy other plugins offered by them which I opted not to, because I paid for mobile apps why would I settle for anything else?

I couldnt fight like you so i lost my money. Its great you never gave up and got what you deserve.