Bill Kochman

Hello. I currently have the option to use either PHP 7.4.32  or PHP 8.1.11 with my web server software, and thus with phpFox.

The last time I tried using an early version of PHP 8 a number of months ago, I ran into some problems with phpFox.

So, is it now safe to use PHP 8.1.11 with phpFox, or should I remain with PHP 7.4.32?

Be the first person to like this.
Bill Kochman

Nevermind. I already answered this for myself. phpFox definitely cannot use 8.1.11. When I try to use this version, my website comes up a blank, white page. But the minute I switch back to 7.4.32, everything returns to normal. Maybe phpFox will work with an earlier version of PHP 8 -- I am not sure -- but it definitely will not work with 8.1.11 on my 2019 5K iMac running the latest version of Monterey.

This is curious. I can't do a heck of a lot at the moment, because they're doing a metafox install on my playground.
Would you be willing to tell me more about your environment, either in the forum or privately? Looking over the changelogs between php 7.4 and php 8.1 there really shouldn't be something causing a blank screen. 

Do you use a vendor repo version of php or one of the third-party ones like remi's repo or EPEL?
Do you have all the modules or just what phpfox requires?
Is this an apache web server or NGINX?
Did you see anything in your web server's error logs that might indicate what's happening? Was there anything of note in the server's system logs?

Bill Kochman

What I can tell you is that when the early versions of PHP 8 came out, I had issues with it, and the phpFox staff advised me to remain with the latest version of PHP 7, being as PHP 8 wasn't quite stable yet. I have been using PHP 7 ever since.

I do know that some improvements were made to PHP 8, and the phpFox staff did mention somewhere -- I can't remember now -- that they were using PHP 8.

My recent problem occurred when I downloaded the very latest version of PHP 8, with which phpFox apparently still isn't compatible.

And actually, I download recommended proprietary versions of both PHP 7 and PHP 8 from the website of the developer of the web server software that I use. I imagine that it is pretty much a light version of PHP, because it is missing some modules that my WordPress blog complains about being missing, such as  Imagick, in particular.

Anyway, my web server and phpFox are running fine with the latest version of PHP 7, so I am not going to worry about.

Bill Kochman

What I can tell you is that when the early versions of PHP 8 came out, I had issues with it, and the phpFox staff advised me to remain with the latest version of PHP 7, being as PHP 8 wasn't quite stable yet. I have been using PHP 7 ever since.

I do know that some improvements were made to PHP 8, and the phpFox staff did mention somewhere -- I can't remember now -- that they were using PHP 8.

My recent problem occurred when I downloaded the very latest version of PHP 8, with which phpFox apparently still isn't compatible.

And actually, I download recommended proprietary versions of both PHP 7 and PHP 8 from the website of the developer of the web server software that I use. I imagine that it is pretty much a light version of PHP, because it is missing some modules that my WordPress blog complains about being missing, such as  Imagick, in particular.

Anyway, my web server and phpFox are running fine with the latest version of PHP 7, so I am not going to worry about.

I just reinstalled my PHPFox site on a new Plesk server with php 8, and for the most part it was OK, I remembered to disabled the openbase_dir crap, and it was mostly OK, until I changed mine and the default timezone... cue the site failing to load and an "Unknown or bad timezone (UTC (GMT)"  error. Put it on 7.something and it's all good now.