Welcome to phpFox community
Threads

In my case, it turns out that phpFox did not like the way I had set up my cron job on my iMac-based server. Rather than use the LaunchControl app to set it up -- as I have been doing for years with my WordPress installation -- I had to set it up a completely different way using the macOS Terminal app. Once I did that, not only did video uploads begin to work properly, but a bunch of other stuff -- such as email notifications -- suddenly began to work as well.

April 26, 2021 3:51 pm

John, I an not a golfer, so I can only guess at what that thing might possibly be. Is it used to take golf tees out of the ground? 😳

Regarding words or images, if you are talking about the anti-spam phrases which are used during the sign-up process, I was actually using both. In fact, even my phrases were animated GIFs to make it more difficult for bots to be able to read them.

Sadly, when I upgraded from 4.8.3 to 4.8.4, something caused the anti-spam mechanism to break, so that the images are no longer appearing during sign-up. As a result, new users are unable to answer the question, and so the phpFox script throws an error.

Si, for now, I have disabled the anti-spam feature during sign-up. In fact, I haven't even reported the problem to the phpFox staff yet, because I've been too busy, or just too tired.

Anyway, what I am asking for in this thread is not a new way to test new members to make sure they are real people. After all, we can already do that. Rather, what I want is a link to some other social network in which they participate, so I can learn more about them.

March 10, 2021 7:07 pm

I saw that edit in the documentation Upgrading Your phpFox Website - phpFox 4 User Manual - phpFox Documentation and didn't realize that. I've always used a pc. 

I must also say that as long as you follow the directions in the link, you shouldn't have any issues.

Maybe if they'd add that to the TOP of the documenatation, too, it would be easer to see. But, kudos to PHPFox for finding the issue and adding it to the documentation for mac users.

February 6, 2021 4:27 pm

Well, after putting it off for a few days, I just successfully upgraded to 4.8.3. The only issue I have detected thus far is that all previous Instant Messaging threads have been deleted. I am not sure if that was intentionally done by the developers, or if it is a bug, or if there is something I am forgetting to do after upgrading. I do know that with some apps, you need to fix their folder permissions after doing an upgrade. I don't recall if that is the case with the Instant Messaging app or not. I'll have to check the installation instructions.

January 26, 2021 10:47 am